“Not many choices in the area”
Review of The Andrew Hotel

The Andrew Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Great Neck
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I've stayed here several times but not voluntarily. I travel for work in the area and this typically seems to be the only hotel nearby always available without going into the city.
The facade of everything in this hotel seems to be nice and stylish, but upon closer review you'll notice that it is all on the surface.
This hotel is in serious need of some meaningful repairs. There are no real closets, only Ikea-looking shelving/storage units hidden by a dark brown dingy velvet curtain.
The bathrooms are smaller than anything you could imagine. The toilets look like they belong in a high-school locker room. On my last visit, the bathroom clearly hadn't been thoroughly cleaned after the last guest checked-out (without being too graphic).
There are no blankets on the bed (only sheets) which make it very uncomfortable in the winter if you get cold and don't necessarily want to turn the heat up to 80.

The one saving grace for this hotel are the staff. I feel bad writing such a dismal review for people who are always so friendly and welcoming.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jerseygirltraveler

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights. I had come to NY to visit the city and was staying alone while pregnant so I was worried about finding a hotel in a nice area. And I DID! The neighborhood is very nice. The LIRR station is literally right across the street. I felt very safe.
I took the train into the city two days. It was about a 30 minute trip, easy.
The hotel itself was very nice. The staff was all very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and spacious and well cooled. The valet parking was cheap and a nice bonus.
All around, can't think of anything to complain about. Will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
AndrewManager, General Manager at The Andrew Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful review, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

Assuming that you want to be in the Great Neck area it seems there are only two hotels to choose from. We stayed at the Andrew and would recommend it if you're looking for a place to sleep and shower. We had a room with a King Sized bed and there was plenty of space for a roll away bed too. We heard from friends staying at the other hotel (Great Neck Inn I think) that their rooms were quite large, but they paid $30/night more. We had a nice enough bathroom with decent water pressure in the shower. The price is fair for the location, you get free internet and a free basic breakfast with a good choice of Keurig coffees. Not much of a lobby but you're steps from loads of shops and restaurants plus the LIRR is across the street. If you don't want to pay the valet parking you could probably find something in the nearby residential areas but we used the valet for the convenience. The staff was very friendly and we evn got a free gift of chocolates and nuts after we had to wait for our room be be ready. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for sharing your comments regarding your stay at the Andrew Hotel. I am glad to hear the great feedback . I hope if your travels bring you back to Long Island, we see you again in the future.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

We were very disappointed when we stayed at this hotel. Our friends stayed at a nearby hotel & we were invited over to have a drink with them. There was no comparison to this hotel & the one they had picked for the weekend. Our room had a funny smell and was dusty. We felt that we had well overpaid & would stay here again only as a last resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sue N

Please accept my sincere apologies for your experience. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed. Please know that all comments, concerns and feedback are taken very seriously. I can assure you that everything you reported will be addressed and followed up on. If you have a future need to return to Great Neck, please contact me personally. I will ensure a perfect stay.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

The Andrew Hotel is a well situated boutique hotel just across from the Great Neck, NY, LIRR station. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable & courteous. So access to NYC is great & convenient by LIRR. The room was recently remodeled in an art-deco theme and had all the standard amenities (nice king-size bed and linens great). However, rooms facing the street/station area are little noisy because of traffic/buses near rail station. Bathroom was very neat & clean, but small/cramped (typical of NYC area hotels). Only other minor downside was water pressure in shower really weak. Nice continental breakfast buffet in room on 2nd floor, but nothing out of ordinary. Good hotel overall, well situated to public/rail transportation (LIRR runs to Penn Station) and allot high quality shops and restaurants in adjacent area (walking distance).

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay. I am glad you had an enjoyable visit. I will personally follow up on the water pressure issue that you experienced. I do hope we see you again in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly, My management team and I will ensure a perfect stay.

Reviewed April 12, 2012

Only things this hotel had going for it was nice bathroom and location of hotel. Other than that everything was very small and while it appeared fancy , everything still seemed old in the common areas in the structure, the halls and elevator and breakfast area. Staff was not the greatest.Concierge said I could park in train lot without worry and for free on weekend( since they had Valet pay by day at Hotel - if you can pay this do the Valet) and when I found number for parking auth. they said no way move the car, you need to be a resident or have paid a pass. ( Could not find place to pay for pass). Luckily I found spot in front of hotel in which I had to pay the quarters until the evening hour came and it would then be free. I decided to not ever move the car. When I asked the girl at desk to confirm parking in lots she said she did not know and did not even attempt to be friendly nor find out further for me. It was February and it was actually an odd very warm day. Had to put air on and that barely worked. It was so uncomfortable.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 11, 2012

The best way to describe this place would be that it's like buying a bottle of Dom Perignon, and then find it filled with Budweiser. We checked in to find the paint chipped, the carpet peeling up in sections, and a general smell that was being masked by some flowery spray. But the worst part was the bathroom. It looked like a drunk monkey with a caulk gun and a broken tea spoon was let loose to "fix" the bathroom. Tiles were broken, there was mold in the first room we tried. The second one was a little better but the smell was worse. After complaining we got "upgraded" to a suite. The room was bigger and nice enough, but again the bathroom was beyond disappointing. The stop in the sink was rusted. The faucet (which was the exact one I purchased from Home Depot 7 years ago) was broken, the shower head wasn't attached to the wall, the sink didn't fit the space so they hacked in a couple of pieces of MDF (caulked by the drunken monkey of course) and the shower was beat. Did it function, yes. Was I schkeeved out, most definitely. Obviously, you don't spend your vacation in the bathroom admiring the craftsmanship, but at that price I do not expect the bathroom to be a step down from the local gas station. Try Viana up the road a piece... that's where we moved.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Port Washington
The Roslyn Hotel
The Roslyn Hotel
#2 of 3 in Roslyn

Been to The Andrew Hotel? Share your experiences!