“Friendly, quality” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel

Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Staines

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Korean first
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel for a 1 night stay for a weekend away for my boyfriend's birthday with a group of friends and we are absolutely over the moon to be able to stay in such a lovely hotel!

We were first greeted by very friendly members of staff and did have a little trouble checking in but they were very helpful and probably just a spot of bad luck.

Staying in one of the more modern rooms, we were ecstatic! The bathroom is lovely, nicely suited for a double room! Had plenty of space, in the room to invite our friends from their own rooms to come and 'hang' (the 8 of us). The bed was comfy, the curtains were one of those which completely block sunlight so I had an excellent night's rest. Plenty of lamps if I didnt want the room to bright, very clean, tidy and just over all very happy

Breakfast was probably the main highlight, if you dont get breakfast included, I would highly recommend you do as there was such a large variety to choose from and having a cup of tea with the view of the river in the morning was wonderful!

The only faults I had were:
Booking 4 rooms, we had forgotten to ask to have as close to each other so therefore we were all separated and took us a good 3-4 minutes to go up and down flights of stairs to find each other. Not their fault really, but remember to ask for rooms close to each other if needed unlike us!

There are no elevators or lifts etc! It would be highly unsuitable for wheelchair users etc. As there are many different stairs! But this didnt cause us any problems

I personally like this but the hotel is a bit like a maze, so if you enjoy an adventure. Take this one!

It is extremely close to the town, full of markets, shops, restaurants which we explored thoroughly and busstops to Thorpe Park is only a 2 minute walk.

I would fully recommend this hotel to anyone besides those with disabled mobility and have been recommending to friends already to stay here if they plan to take a trip to Thorpe Park or Staines in general!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
MercureThamesLodge, General Manager at Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Cambridge4538,

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to write kind words about us. I am glad that you enjoyed the breakfast and the view is simply stunning.

On the mobility issue, we have plenty of rooms on ground floor with easy access.

I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a business trip for 1 night only.
Check in was very welcoming & friendly. A lovely man brought our cases to room as we were on the second floor and there is no lift.
The corridors & room smelt a bit fusty, maybe a damp problem??
The room was clean.
The evening meal was ok but nothing spectacular although alot of food went back to the kitchen from the other guests I was with.
However, the chocolate brownie dessert is highly recommended.
The view from our window was lovely overlooking the Thames. Although the window frame itself was rotten.
All in all the staff were great and the accommodation was ok.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
MercureThamesLodge, General Manager at Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Sara_lou32,

Thank you taking the time to review. Team at The Thames Lodge will be delighted to read your lovely comments about them.

It's great to read that you stayed in on one of the riverside rooms; the view is simply stunning especially on a nice sunny morning.
Regarding the dinner, it's very unusual and generally the feedback is very positive but nonetheless be assured that I will discuss your feedback with the chef. I am glad that you liked Chocolate brownie, it is mouth watering!

I would like to discuss your feedback regarding room, could you please contact me on
h6620-fb@accor.com.

Paignton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We' d previously stayed at the Mercure Exeter, which was very good, so booked Mercure Staines with relative confidence. Was quite disappointed. I felt it was a little shabby. When we walked into our room it was freezing so I asked my husband to close the window, but it was broken and wouldn't shut properly. It was really noisy from the traffic on the busy main road outside. The room was also really dark, I didn't like it at all. Anyway we went back down to reception and complained so we were upgraded to a room overlooking the river, it had a little wooden balcony, and the view was lovely. This room was better but nothing to get too excited about!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Dear Liz O,

Many thanks for sharing your concerns with us. I am glad that reception offered you an upgrade and happy to read that you enjoyed the view of the river.

Regarding your first room I would like to discuss it further with you, could you please contact me on h6620-fb@accor.com.

Nairn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

A quirky mix of old an new, the hotel has been expanded to and added to in a few phases, making it a little bit of a maze, or adventure, to find your room.
The staff match the hotel in quirkiness, but this all adds to the flavour. The hotel is right on the banks of the Thames, was fun in the Feb flooding, hats off to the staff for keeping the river at bay, and nicely located for the town centre, bus & railway stations.
The menu is a little limited, and no specials I have noted as catch of the day is always Tuna, but as 2 mins from the town centre lots of other choices.
All the rooms I have stayed in have been a reasonable size and with a large flat screen TV with Freeview channels, the beds vary from firm to very soft and due to the location on a major junction some of the rooms on the road side can be a little noisy.
As per another review, housekeeping can be a little eager so would advise, 'Do not disturb' hung on door and chain put on if you are planning being in the room after 08:00, this may be due to the majority of regular guest being business type and normally clear of the room about then.

Room Tip: Riverside the only choice
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
Dear David N,

Quirky?? We will take that! Thank you for sharing your kind feedback and I am glad you enjoyed the location.
Next time you are around try Sea Bass or Poached Salmon from our menu, they are delish!!
And please be assured I have also addressed your comment regarding housekeeping.

Hope to see you at Thames Lodge soon.

Hartlepool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in September for the weekend on a trip to Thorpe park and the hotel wasn't far from there. The hotel was immaculate, everywhere was so clean. The room was lovely with a tv with most free view channels and wi-if throughout it, spot on! The hotel has a lovely view of the river and it was really nice to sit outside on a night next to it. Buffet breakfast the next morning was so delicious, hands down the best breakfast I've ever had at an hotel. Was in a good location, close to shops, bars and restaurants. Would recommended anyone to stay here and would definitely come back here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
MercureThamesLodge, General Manager at Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear S Caitlin,

I am delighted to read that you had a fabulous time with us and you took full advantage of the location. I am glad that you had a relaxing time at our terrace and the breakfast team will be delighted to hear your positive feedback.
I look forward to welcoming you back this summer!

Marnix Teeken
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
The Boleyn Hotel
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Beaumont Estate
#2 of 2 in Old Windsor
3.0 of 5 bubbles 3,423 reviews

Been to Mercure London Staines-upon-Thames Hotel? Share your experiences!