“Excellent: Excellent Food: Excellent Service: Excellent Location For Heathrow.”
Review of The Stanwell Hotel

The Stanwell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Staines
Reviewed March 15, 2014

As victims of the flooding we stayed at this great little hotel for a period in excess of three weeks. The room was comfortable, the breakfast was excellent with a choice of continental, full English, vegetarian, or any combination. Just ask! The staff could not have been more helpful. Any request or query was dealt with very quickly and to our satisfaction. This attitude continued through every department with which we had any contact.
Needless to say we ate in the restaurant on a number of occasions, both bar snacks and evening meals and the high standards of food and service were maintained. We also found Sunday Lunch to be great value for money. The restaurant is open to non-residents and we will definitely going there with friends in the future.
The location is close to Heathrow airport with free parking and they offer a 'Park Sleep Fly' package.

Room Tip: Check if there is live music of a function in the evening (not often but . . .) and request a room i...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gordon A
stanwellhotel, Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Gordon A,

Thank you for your kind words and 5 star review of The Stanwell Hotel & Restaurant.

I will be sharing your review with the team as it provides excellent motivation as the hotel evolves and improves!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel to sample the restaurant as non-residents and wish you well in the future.

Warm Regards,

There are newer reviews for The Stanwell Hotel

Reviewed March 8, 2014

Worst meal I've had in a long, long time. Where do I begin!?!

Ate here as part of a large party (30 people) from a set menu at £25 a head.

I'll start with the food...

I ordered Chicken with Wilted Spinach (which was missing from every plate) and fried new potatoes as a main. Dry, tasteless, bland food with NO SAUCE! How a professional chef can serve half a chicken without a sauce is beyond me, although the waiting staff were kind enough to plonk a selection of sachet sauces (heinz ketchup, hp sauce, mustard etc)! Potatoes were fried till almost burnt and completely unseasoned. No salt, pepper, herbs. Nothing. Honestly, this food was as good as a bad school dinner, and it was no surprise to me that every plate of chicken I saw was barely eaten.

As a dessert I had Pecan Pie. It was as if someone had taken some glue,
coloured it and squished some pecans in. Truly terrible, almost inedible. The texture was extremely strange and the flavourless 'glue' stuck to the roof of my mouth. Awful! I can't fault my swirl of fruit sauce (raspberry?) on the side, however when that is the best part of a meal, questions surely must be asked all around?

Service...

The staff seemed pleasant, but uninterested. I couldn't say it was at all a very personal or welcoming experience. Also, not once during the meal were we asked if everything was ok or if we needed anything.

At my table, the risottos arrived first, then the seabass 4 minutes later, then the chicken 3 minutes after that. No apology or explanation, just diners sitting there being polite, as their food got cold. An assortment of vegetables which looked like a Tesco prepack (cauliflower, carrots, peas) was unlovingly placed on the tables with no explanation of what they were or who they were for.

I can go on and on but this review is already long.

I didn't stay at the hotel so I can't comment on the rooms but based on the decor in the restaurant/bar I imagine they are pleasant enough. Also, the location seems good for Heathrow.

If you are staying at this hotel, I would recommend you find a nearby restaurant, fast food chain, or a petrol station that has a microwave and a selection of ginsters or rustlers. You'll enjoy it more.

In summary, a truly terrible experience. £25 for a virtually inedible 2 course meal without any alcohol. I can only hope I've gone some way to articulate just how seriously bad this food was.

PLEASE, DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Kingbennyboy

Dear Kingbennyboy,

Your response was not easy reading but I thank you for taking the time to pass on your opinion.
As you state you were here as part of a large party booking on a set menu and some of the issues you encountered may be attributed to the arrangements made by this group.

Having said that, I take on board all customer feedback and the hotel & restaurant is constantly striving to improve itself. I would however add that your experience is an exception to the usual high standards the hotel prides itself upon as reflected in many other reviews on this site.

I would urge you to return to the hotel in the future for the more usual, excellent experience.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stayed recently before an early flight following day from Heathrow. Plenty of parking, good internet strength, decent bar food ( didn't try the restaurant ), clean and tidy room / bathroom, friendly staff, five miles or so from terminal 1 parking, easy route in. Flying from Heathrow, this is worth a look.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
stanwellhotel, General Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Cymru13,

Thanks for your review and recommendation to use the hotel on visit to Heathrow.

Perhaps on your next visit you could try one of our "Park & Fly" packages, this takes all the stress and frustration of driving to parking, getting to terminal & etc. It's cheaper than you may think too...

Either way, I do hope you choose The Stanwell for your next visit to the area.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Very comfortable, and spotlessly clean.very smart bathroom . We had a de-luxe double which was cosy and modern. New carpets and decor throughout. Staff were friendly and helpful.We were allowed a late checkout for a small surcharge.Would definitely stay there again if flying from Heathrow .Car park good.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sue C

Dear Sue,

Thanks for your recent review of The Stanwell Hotel.

You are right the hotel is ideally suited for both Heathrow & Ashford Hospital. We have recently replaced the carpets in the deluxe bedrooms and soon hope to add to this with other bedrooms improvements.

I hope to see you again on your next trip from Heathrow airport.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

We live local and was keen to try the hotels restaurant, we called to make a reservation for three. We ordered 2 steaks, quality not as good, while I asked for my steak to be cooked rare, it was very difficult to see it was rare, the inside of the meat was a very dark colour, as if the meat had been sitting around for a while, it never had that bright pink fresh colour and was bland and tasteless. We commented to the waiter that the peppercorn sauce was very salty, a bit disappointing as we would of expected the restaurant manager to check it and come over to explain, though I suspect our waiter never past on our complaint. Shame, the head waiter never had time to ask if we were enjoying our meal, he seemed more interested in looking after the one other table in the restaurant. Not sure we will return again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
stanwellhotel, Manager at The Stanwell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Stanley M,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent experience at The Stanwell Hotel.

I was sorry to read it did not meet your expectations. Particularly with the dining experience as this is an area we at The Stanwell take great pride. I will share your review with the team as honest feedback, such as yours is essential as we strive to do better.

Stanley M, I do hope you are willing to give the hotel another try and I am confident we will meet your expectations upon your return visit. Perhaps you could try our "Steak Night" (every last Thursday of the month) where we offer 10% discount on our regular steaks and will be introducing nightly offers.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed one night in December. Really just needed a place to rest after long flight near Heathrow, get up early in the morning, pick up colleague and head into the cold, windy, damp cave that is England in December.

Arriving to the Stanwell, one notices the beautiful tree decorated for Christmas, shining proudly in the middle of the hotel.
Parking was right out front without any worries.
The bar area is very cozy. I sank into a comfy chair and enjoyed my first English brew of this journey. Maybe I did, or maybe it was all a dream. I do know I sat in the chair and there was a bar there. I was exhausted from the stupid flight on that lousy United aircraft. Stupid seats. Stupid guy next to me with his stupid newspaper in my face......who reads actual newspapers anymore? ....all the way from San Francisco to London?

The check in went very well....or at least I recall it was, not sure 100%, but it must have worked out, because I got a key and a room just before zonking out from my bumpy airplane trip.
The room was sufficient. It had all the features I require in a room. There was a bed, stupid tv, bathroom with hot and cold running water.
The room was pretty sparse and basic, but had what I needed.
For being so close to Heathrow, one really could not hear the airplanes buzzing overhead. It was quite nice to not hear the overcharging for lost baggage and wicked flight attendants loudly recounting their exploits in Cancun last week, as I slumbered in my chamber.

One goofy thing: the heat never really seemed to come up above absolute zero in the room. Just could not figure out if the heater was cranking out anything or not. I had read somewhere prior to this trip that the heating was from when Harold lost his eye at the Battle of Hastings, so I felt I was duly warned and just chalked it up to a bunch of goons who can't figure out which side of the road to drive on.

Speaking of goons, I did venture out from the Stanwell and went over to the Swan around the corner. Arsenal was on the telly and looking very poor against Everton. The pub was full of goons (as previously mentioned), who claimed to be Arsenal supporters, but were happy with the pathetic performance resulting in a 1-1 tie with stupid Everton. "well lads, a tie is a point on the table". What a crock of donkey poo to accept a tie as a "great result".
Basically, outside of the Stanwell, the village is full of mad lunatics, who put up a good show of being goons, but end up as push over cracker dork pansy pants fools.

So: stay inside the Stanwell and you will be fine.

Did not have the breakfast, as I had to get my colleague from the airport before brekkies was ready. The breakfast room looked nice and they were setting up what looked to be a pleasant buffet as I was heading out into the dreary, bleak, cold, rainy, damp and musty morning.

Would I stay at the Stanwell again?
I would say yes, as long as I am not barred after posting this review.

Room Tip: Say you are from the Ministry of Silly Walks and are here for an inspection
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank Jonathan S

Dear Jonathan,

A genuine thank you for your very funny review it is possibly my favourite review of The Stanwell Hotel. I can only apologise that my response will not be as witty or as well written.

It is sadly not possible to respond to your heating issue as I am unaware of what room and when specifically you stayed with the hotel, but I took from the overall humour in your review that this did not distress you unduly. I can confirm to all other potential guests of the hotel however that our heating is a little more contemporary than 1066.

I will ensure on your return that we surpass your 4 out of 5 review, mainly because other than the score of 4 out of 5 I would classify your review as my all-time favourite!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

Even with all the flooding I am so glad i chose this hotel to stay in for my 5 day course. Price was competitive and the hotel overall is great. Staff are very attentive and friendly. Love it and will choose this hotel again if I am ever coming over. Still have 1 night left with them.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear BBagha,

Thanks for your review and commendation that The Stanwell is "the Best Hotel in Staines".

The flooding in the Staines area was a fraught time for many, fortunately The Stanwell was unaffected.

I do trust your final night was as pleasurable as the first four. I further hope to see you on your next visit to Staines.

James Mahaffey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Staines
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport Terminal 4
Sofitel London Heathrow
Premier Inn London Heathrow Airport (Bath Road) Hotel
Renaissance London Heathrow Hotel
Hilton London Heathrow Airport
Hilton Garden Inn London Heathrow Airport

Been to The Stanwell Hotel? Share your experiences!