“DO NOT STAY HERE”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Glens Falls
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This property had ok reviews on another site and the rate was ok for the location (outside of Lake George in high season). We were only staying one night on our way to Canada and I thought this area would be a good midway point (we stayed in Albany on the way back). We arrived around dinner time. If we were going to stay longer and our young son was not with us we would have found somewhere else to stay.

The condition of the hotel was absolutely disgusting! The wallpaper was peeling off of the walls, the bathroom was filthy, and the stench of stale cigarettes permeated the entire room (for a non smoking room). There was very little light in the room, and one of the lights in the bathroom was not working. In addition, when we went to the dining room for breakfast the choices were very few, and all insufficient. Despite the fact that "breakfast" was included in the deal, we still went to a diner because there was nothing worth eating.

When we checked out, my husband complained about everything to the guy at the front desk (and let him know he can read all about it on-line soon enough), and all he could do was stare at him in complete silence, with a look on his face that showed it was hardly the first time he's heard it. I was charged $167 (including tax) for what was by far the worst hotel experience we have ever had!

Room Tip: I doubt there are any.
1  Thank rsquaredb

Reviewed August 21, 2013

1) Breakfast. The quality of the breakfast was mediocre. This was the worst continental breakfast I have ever had. The only items available were coffee, orange juice, mini chocolate chip muffins that left an aftertaste, and english muffins but no way to heat them. We could not eat this food and had to go to Starbucks for a muffin and coffee. I chose Econo Lodge and not another hotel at the same rate because of the "breakfast." 2) Cleanliness. The overall cleanliness of the room was horrible. The carpet was dingy. We were scared to walk bare foot. The tub was dirty. The fridge had residue in it. 3) Smell. The room smelled of smoke. We specifically booked 3 non-smoking rooms. However, 2 room smelled of smoke. The houskeeping staff should have deodorized the room when they cleaned it. 4) Towels. On the 2nd day of our stay all of our rooms were short on towels. We asked for more at about 2pm and were told that they were doing laundry and would bring them to our rooms. At 10pm that night we still did not have towels. The front desk told us they still did not have any and they sent us to the Quality Inn across the street to get some. Absolutely ridiculous. A hotel without towels ?1? Never again will I stay at this hotel or recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1  Thank WhyMeWhyMee
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We arrived around 4pm. Immediately I noticed two things, the windows to our unit were the only ones opened in the complex and trash was sitting outside of everyone's room. We brought our belongings in and headed out for dinner and some shopping. We arrived back sometime after 9:30 pm but didn't take our shoes off until after 10 pm. It was then that we noticed the carpeting was very wet. I take the blame for not marching down to the office to get another room. It was late and we were tired from traveling all day. The next morning, I could see that the wet carpeting had increased to cover almost the entire front room. The bedspread had wicked up the water. I can only guess that the problem was with the air conditioning unit. The office obviously knew about the problem since the windows were opening but they rented it out anyway. When we turned on the unit, there was a moldy smell for some time. The bedding was older and had a cigarette smell to it. When we left the next morning, the trash was still sitting outside the units. Unfortunately, this was the only night of a ten day trip that we did not have reservations for. We paid $119.00 for this dive. When I checked out, I told the front desk person about the wet carpeting. He said when he sees the manager, he would let him know about the problems and ask about a reduction in rate. I haven't received a credit on my Visa account and doubt that I will. It's clear that the owner of this hotel has no intention of making it a decent place to spend the night. I could go on about holes in a door, bent screen frames, etc. We did not try the breakfast. When I checked in, there was such a strong smell of Indian food. I eat Indian food but I don't want to smell food while conducting business.

1  Thank stashblaster
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I don't know where to start, it was that bad. I asked for non smoking and they gave me the room with the ashtray outside of it for people to smoke. Outlets didn't work,window didn't lock, broken step to upstairs, but the worst was when we returned the second night someone had smoked pot in our bathroom. I've stayed here before and it wasnt that bad. Never again.
Plus the breakfast that you get with every econolodge was missing a lot of items. I'm sure choice hotels have not checked up on this place in a long time. They should remove their name from this one.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liz B
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have a Choice Rewards card. I wanted to be close to Lake George,NY and Albany ,NY for a couple of days.Glens Falls fit the bill. The location was good---- mall,Starbucks, and some chain restaurants. Now--- I did not believe the reviews--- I have rough it (college days). We went with the E. Lodge . We asked for non-smoking-------room smelled of smoke. We moved----Noisy AC,they tried to fix it .Volume on TV was on the max to hear over the AC. Stain was on sheets. Room very small. I had to move the nightstand (dropped my watch) found months of dust and all kinds of chips. They will also try to charge you for a safe. I could go on with more --but I will end here. Listen to you mother -- maybe for me it should be listen to Trip A. ( I thought ,oh, maybe they are just picky. ) The staff tried to to help, but could not. This is not what Choice hotels are about. Price was way to high for this.

Room Tip: Newly painted rooms are on the way. Rooms facing out to road are newer--cleaner I do not know.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joey M
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I spent one night here with my 4 year old son. It was disgusting. And not that cheap! $108 on a Wednesday night? I wish I had spent more and gone down the road to a real hotel.
The room was unsafe, deadbolt did not work and chain lock had been removed from the door so no way to secure ourselves inside. There were numerous holes in the walls, in sketchy places. The rug was dirty and sticky in many spots, my son had to wear his shoes the whole time. The bathroom had all new fixtures but they were DIRTY, shower curtain dirty and black with mildew, shower floor mildew, little water pressure, toilet would only flush occasionally due to water pressure. Our room had a "divider" and the back room had a window overlooking someone's backyard, great, and also had no screen, bars or protection (this is 2-3 stories up). My toddler could have easily opened and climbed out that window had I not noticed it. Beds were DIRTY, woke up smelling of other people's sweat and body odor that had been seeped into these probably 20 year old beds and pillows. Disgusting. No outlets functioned in one of the rooms, had to search around for the breaker to fix them and discovered exposed pipes sticking up through the floor, also great for young children. Why is this not a 1 star $39.99/hour type of place? Gross. Don't do it.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank tjm0609
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Do not stay here!!!! Where should I start? The lights didn't work.The place was filthy!! They just threw a sheet over the the mattress, no fitted sheet. The pillow cases were so thin you could see the stains on the pillows, I just threw them to the side. The front window was broken, we couldn't close it. Most of the outlets didn't work, hole on the wall... the list goes on. The person at the front counter had no communicating skills at all...it was like talking to the wall. Lets just say the only reason we stayed there was because we had been on the road all day and it was almost 2 in the morning when we got there, we were extremely tired. This place should be condemn!!!!! I'm still pissed that we paid to stay there it should have been the other way around.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Days Inn Queensbury/Lake George
Queensbury Hotel
Queensbury Hotel
#1 of 6 in Glens Falls

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!