“Always have a great time here”
Review of Mikado Restaurant

Mikado Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 78 Restaurants in Glens Falls
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Upstate NY
“Always have a great time here”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The service was great and the dinner was just awesome and very filling too. It is worth every single penny.! Will definitely come back again.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank momlove2bake

Glens Falls, New York
“Food Fried in Old Grease”
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I went there for the first and probably last time in Oct. 2012. A friend told me they had great sushi there. I'm not a fan of sushi but I love shrimp and vegetable Tempora. I decided to give it a try. On arrival we were promptly seated. I and my friend decided to try a beef roll (something like that) appetizer. It came out drenched in oil that tasted like the deep fryer hadn't been changed in a long time. I was not optimistic about my Tempora and I should have canceled the order right there and got something else but decided to tough it out. Well, my Tempora was just what I expected; the same old greasy taste. I had to remove the coating in order to eat it. I should have really just sent it back. The worst thing about it it though was that the dipping sauce was ice cold. I have eaten tempora at every Japanese restaurant I ever went to, literally dozens in NYC, Chicago, LA, and I have never had the dipping sauce served to me ice cold before. Sort of defeats the purpose of ordering a hot meal if you're going to cool it down with an ice cold sauce. The waitress nuked it to make it hot. My friend order the chicken terryaki which looked good and which he said tasted good too. So my advice to anyone eatting here is to skip anything that is deep fried. Since Tempora is the only reason I eat Japanese I will not be going to this place again.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Carmen S
Boston, Massachusetts
“On a side street, Some very Japanese food in a fading industrial town.”
Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

My husband fancies himself to be an expert in Japanese food. He lived in Japan for a couple of years, so he is a tough critic of most " Japanese" places in America. He was impressed with Mikado. It is clear they are following some very strict rules. The clear chicken broth soup was flavoful and acted as a subtle enhancer to my hibachi salmon lunch. I asked for a green salad and got one with a nice gingery dressing. My husband ordered shrimp tempura soup dish with noodles. The broth had spices unknown to us Sushi was Ok. The one aspect of the restaurant that needs improvent is the screens and hangings. The place needs freshening. A torn screen in the window greets you, a dirty hanging is at the entrance as you push into the vestibule. It all is off putting.

1 Thank ShelleyinBoston
Wilton, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi in the Upstate Area”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I have eaten sushi at a great majority of the restaurants north of latham, ny. I have to say that Mikado is my favorite place to go. Even though the building is somewhat old, The food and Sushi always delivers! From where I live, I would rather drive the same distance to glens falls than to saratoga springs for their food. Prices are more than fair and the service is excellent as well. Danny always has delicious weekly special rolls too.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank joe s
Florida
“Great food, poor service”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I had visited Glens Falls to spend a few days with my friend from college and was brought to Mikado because she had insisted this was her favorite restaurant. Yet after this trip even she was a bit confused at the service here.
The food was tasty for the most part- we ordered Miso Soup, lobster salad, and 3 rolls. It took about an hour for our food to arrive, which seems exorbitantly long considering we visited on a Monday night when only 3 other tables were being served. Additionally, the lobster salad was swimming in mayo and grease, and gave me a stomach ache about 10 minutes after eating it.
Furthermore, my friend ordered a spicy salmon roll, but instead was brought a regular salmon roll. When we told the server, she insisted that the spicy sauce was on the 'inside' of the roll... after eating the entire thing, we both agreed that this was just a normal salmon roll. We told the waitress that we did not want to be charged extra for the spicy salmon roll since all we received was a normal salmon roll, and she assured us we would not be charged extra.
However, when the bill arrived, we just received a lump total for 'sushi' (about $40), that did not separate out the individual prices for each roll. When we told her to please identify how much each roll cost, she came back only to separate the bill by 'person on the right' and 'person on the left' of the table. After this we just gave up, it was only a dollar's difference really, but the lack of common hospitality really put us off. I would not come back here again.

• Visited July 2012