“AMAZING, AUTHENTIC....THE REAL DEAL”
Review of The Vagabond - CLOSED

The Vagabond
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I cannot believe I live in this town and had no idea what a gem was waiting around the corner. Italian food has been a soft spot of mine for sure. Oh Pasta...Lasagna, Pasta ooolala... Ok back to Vagabond. It began with a seat at the bar with a funny young woman and a barmaid that can surely mix up a cocktail. She gives us a menu to browse before we decide to sit in the main dining room. By the looks of this menu I am going be in heaven. Now we are seated the smells coming from the kitchen are amazing. I can't wait to order. Gentleman greets us we get started... A Caesar salad for me and a bowl of soup for Aria. Ok so far so good. We get fresh mozzarella Buratta and Muscles, of course Fra Diavola. Amaze!!! She decides on Chicken parm a classic and I get Chicken Maria. OMG there is a huge bowl of Maria and a huge plate of parm so we share. I am completely speechless. Sundried tomatoes, spinach and cream sauce wow...SERVICE A+, Food A+ , Atmosphere, value all the other things you can possibly judge about a place to dine A+... Needless to say I have raved to all my friends and we are meeting there next week. GREAT JOB Vagabond. By the way read some other comments...not sure where you were dining but wasn't where I dined last night for sure. Vagabond Great job!!!

3  Thank J K

Reviewed May 3, 2014

When I dine out, I expect the experience to include food that is at least as good as what I can make at home. Not the case here. The specials (which need to be printed on an insert to the menu) included an arugula beet salad. The beets tasted like they came out of a jar. A pile of arugula plopped on top with way too much blue cheese and balsamic dribbled on top. Uninspired, poorly presented and unappetizing. The chicken francese was good, but again, uninspired. The wine list is lacking. The wait staff did their best, but one person in our party got the wrong meal and had to wait until the kitchen got it right. I won't be back.

1  Thank Nancy P
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The Vagabond staff welcomed us right as we entered. The oak host stand and black and white tile floors, worked hand in hand with the pictures and décor. Warm tons of dark wood and burgundy walls, worked well with the open spaces and windows thro out.
The bar area has a honey stained pine top, with high back black metal bar chairs. There are five high top tables with high back bar chairs as well. The big screen TV, back lite wine display and good selection of liquor/mixed drinks.
The main dinning area is in the back of the Vagabond and is a hidden gem. It offers a more traditional style dinning, with lower style tables and warm lighting and windows all over. The soft music and well light space offers wooden floors and 12 with cloth topped tables.
I had a House Salad, Meat Ball App. as well as the Seafood Combo. The other person I was with had the Caesar Salad, Fried Calamari and Lobster Ravioli. Our meal was amazing! The true flavors melted or craving for local culture and food.
All the staff were more then welcoming and friendly/helpful. Our server name was Matthew. He welcomed us to the Vagabond and asked us both if we had been here before. We both had not, Matthew told us about the specials of the day and gave us a few suggestions on the main menu.
We ordered our drinks. A Espresso Martini and a Margarita that was right to our table within a few minutes. We ordered our food and chatted with one anther for a few minutes and Matthew brought out warm home made bread with thyme/garlic butter that awakened the palette. My friend and I had not been together in over eight years. It did not take long for our order to start rolling out in courses.
The salads were light and fresh and the appetizers were truly one of a kind and express a true love of food. Our second round of drink were married with the timing of our main courses and Matthew was wonderful, warm hearted and very much on top of things at our table.
The main courses were true works of Italian food and art. Favors of seafood and white wine sauce were special and true. My friend told me that " The Lobster Ravioli was true to it's self as well. That they were stuffed with lobster/stuffing mix and that the pink sauce brought meaning to the dish. Art truly untouched with in this town".

I WOULD MAKE RESERVATIONS!

I would go here with friends/family. Birthday Parties, Group Gatherings or Outing. Large Spaces and a Full Bar. BIG SCREEN TV To!! Foot Ball Parties and other Sporting Events. Political Party Dinners. I would go here by my self just to get out and meet new people in the community.

2  Thank Campney
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I will state right off that we were regulars at Cafe Lazio that Adriano had on Bay road and now at the Vagabond.We are constantly impressed with the food and melding of flavors.
Excellent sauce-filet-fish-enjoy it all.Have had dozens of Adrianos meals and have never been disappointed.Went with friends tonite,who are also regulars,and met because they were always in there when we were.
So we hooked up.
Wife had chicken parm,I had swordfish that was superb,and our friends had veal and swordfish.
Excellent hot fresh bread,bottle of wine,yummy desert added to a great night out.
Had leftovers to enjoy next day.
Very good service.This is not a restaurant to rush your dinner.It is a place to take your time,enjoy the food and company.
Not overly expensive.I consider it a great value.
We do go out often to eat and it is a tough decision to go to other places other than the Vagabond.

3  Thank Bob D
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I’m an Italian boy from Utica and believe me I know sauce. This chef/owner has the best marinara sauce and eggplant parmigiana you will ever have. I took my wife and 11 year old daughter here for Valentine’s Day and all of our dishes were excellent! OK – so why only 3 stars. At first glance, the menu looks reasonably priced - $14 for eggplant parm, $14 for chicken parm, etc. etc. until you find that everything is ala carte and I mean EVERYTHING! I’ve been in many restaurants where the salad is extra – OK. But I have NEVER been in an Italian restaurant where the side dish of pasta is extra. Never!! Plus we were not told this by the waiter. I mean this little portion of eggplant arrives sitting on a plate all by itself – looked ridiculous. Which brings me to the second point . . . the portions are quite small. Even my 11 year old walked out a little hungry. One other note. We didn’t order cocktails as they didn’t seem to have an actual bartender. The wait staff seemed to each go behind the bar and make their own drinks. We didn’t want to take a chance on a $10 Martini or $9 Southern Comfort Old Fashioned that was poorly made. Bottom line - the food is GREAT! This chef/owner is the “real deal” from the city. But be prepared for small portions and a fairly large bill if you want a salad and some macaroni with your entrée.

1  Thank Danny L