“Great Place in Glens Falls”
Review of Gourmet Cafe

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Ambience of this place is misleading. Walking in you get the impression of a "family restaurant"; metal chairs, wood edged formica topped tables, etc. But the food is outstanding and rises far above the initial visual impression. I hate to see the overworked word "gourmet" used these days, but for an informal cafe, this almost rises to the challenge.

We had a light supper. One of us had an entree salad; the other a cup of seafood gumbo and a plate of bow-tie pasta with sausage. Both were just excellent! I could go into detail, but the flavors and quality were all there and I will leave it at that.

From our table we could watch the owner-chef (he's got the credentials to be called chef!) hard at work in his small kitchen. Despite getting slammed with a larger than expected crowd for a Thursday evening, he and the lone waitress managed to stay ahead of the flow - so service was cheerful and attentive.

Prices were moderate and quality was excellent.

Makes me want to return for another experience.

1  Thank HimselfNY

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Wonderful Panini's. The best I've run across around here. Comes with a choice of home made potato or mac. salad. Very good.

1  Thank Bonnie C
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Gourmet Cafe has wonderful food. The service is excellent and you'll want to go back again and again. Great place for a lunch meeting.

1  Thank CHERYL M
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a family owned and operated small cafe, but huge on flavor! They have Pasta Nights all year round, with outside dinning in the summer. They have just started having Tapa Thursdays - I haven't tried them yet, but I'm sure they are good judging from the other menu and pasta offerings. Pasta night is all you can eat and more - Francis will make your pasta to your specifications. His desserts are fabulous as well!

2  Thank Bonnie S
Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I have been here a few times now and 2 of the 3 visits were great. Our one bad visit was at a time over a year ago when they tried to do a family style format and had a very rude young waiter but our first and our last visit were totally different. The new waitress they have was very friendly, personal, and attentive and willing to work with us on requests. Our meals were both excellent,,,I had chicken parm which was a good portion and not too flattened. The salads are good size and the homemade dressings are perfect. We were a little too early for the pasta bar this last visit but the pasta dishes we had with our entres were very good. We'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Bryan W