Wilderness Safaris Ruckomechi Camp
All reviewswilderness safarisgame viewingzambezi riverbubble bathmana poolshigh teabeautiful countrytree housebird lifesolar powerthe past yearswild dogscanvas sidesoutdoor bathtubpublic areas areluxurious tentsspectacular experience
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stayed here for three nights and had a great time. The rooms are luxurious and open up right onto the river. You will see more animals than you can imagine (we were fortunate to see leopards!). The staff is excellent and the food is good.

What makes this amazing are the guides -- we did walking safaris, boat rides and driving rides. The people here are great and know what they are doing. And we saw animals everywhere and up close, including elephants, hippos, kudu and lions. Also, elephants walked through the camp when we were there!

This is a once in your life experience!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013

After having spent 12 days at other camps and lodges, flew from Lake Kiriba (Musango Lodge) to Mana Pools National Park for one day and night stay at Ruckomechi Camp before beginning a three day canoe trip on the Zambezie River (if interested, see review for Vundu Camp) with a return to Ruckomechi for two more days and nights after the canoe trip. Ruckomechi is very similar to another Wildlife Safari camp I stayed in, viz., Davison's Camp in Hwange. Both have great management and very welcoming and helpful staff. My first tent (as was the my second) was very clean and large, with comfortable bedding, en suit shower and toilet and an additional shower outside! All tents and the main area are close to and facing the river. Solar panels for each tent provide hot water and reading lights. So you have a very confortable tent and yet when you walk out of your tent or just away from the camp, you are in the bush. For example, on my last day, I was in my tent for a seista after a morning game drive and couple of hours watching elephant herds from a hide that our guide had driven us to when I saw a matriarch walk by behind my tent followed by a number of aunts and calfs. My tent was next to the last on this side of the main tent and I went out the door and started taking pictures. I then noticed a female elephant who had separated from the herd and was in front of the tents also! She was looking into the last tent about 30 yards away which was occupied by the two newlyweds (being the ones I had done the hide trip with) and I could see they were taking pictures which I started to do. For some reason I looked down at my camera to check a setting but when I looked up, the female was running right at me. Mock charge or not I ran behind the tent and a tree and she went past to join the others. Ruckomechi has as a typical day a light breakfast at 6:30 (staff will wake you) followed by an early morning game drive and then return to camp for a very good brunch. You can also do boating safaries. Down time during the heat of the day is followed by tea, coffee and cakes around 3:30 pm and then an afternoon game drive. Sundowner around 6:00 followed by a night game drive with red spot lights. A very nice experience was when our guides on two different nights, stopped the Land Rover and turned off the engine and in the cool stillness used a laser light to point out constellations and the Milky Way in the beautiful African sky. After the drive, return to camp for a cold drink, time to freshen up and then a nice dinner followed by drinks and conversation by the camp fire which has very confortable seating. My main objective in all my 18 days in Zimbabwe was to see as much game as I could and the Ruckomechi conservancy does not disappoint. It has numberous elephant and buffalo herds and hippo pods. Heard male lions every night calling for the females and on the last day found a pride with two males, two females and three cubs which made for great pictures! Also saw a great deal of different antelope and bird life. You can also do walking safaris and nature walks both with armed guards. I saved years for this trip and I am certainly glad I did!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MJSellers
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We loved our four days at Ruckomechi! We will never forget waking up the first morning to a mother elephant and her baby wandering by our tent on their way down to the Zambezi River. They were followed by about 15 more elephants that played in the pools below our tent. The herd then dove into the river, where the little ones grabbed their moms' tails with their trunks, and swam with the current over to the island in front of the camp. It was gorgeous watching the "snorkels" swimming along, spraying water every once in a while. All around were birds singing, baboons barking, water bucks and impalas snorting, and some fascinating water monitors hunting for prey. The times we spent canoeing with hippos, or watching lions, wild dogs, zebras, buffalo, crocs, and colorful birds were too numerous to mention.The staff were great -- we loved spending each day with Gaddy (Gadrick) - our special guide. He was knowledgeable and fun to be with. The tented bedrooms were luxurious while still allowing us to feel and experience being outdoors. Special times included a dinner under the stars for just the two of us one night, and a bubble-bath under the stars late one night. The food was amazing -- excellent chefs! Most of all, I'll remember canoeing at sunset and hearing the women across the water singing songs while they worked. It was magical! Thank you to all the staff for making our visit so memorable.

Room Tip: Every room is a good room -- some closer to the main dining room than others, but all have great views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brenda4730
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Yes - we have just returned from another magical trip to Ruckomechi camp! We loved it! We walked, went on game drives and canoed. We had amazing sundowners on the banks of the river and saw lions, lioness, cubs, wild dogs, hyena , buffalo, zebra, kudu, waterbuck, impala,elephant, hippo,crocodiles and birds galore- recorded 4 new sightings in our bird book and saw a Marshal eagle take off after a kill! The wild dogs had an impala breakfast and were joined by the vultures - uninvited guests! The food was delicious. Great staff and the guides were knowledgable and interesting. Every single day is different- you never know what you are going to see and experience - and that's half the fun!

Room Tip: All tents have an amazing view! If you are travelling with young children the family tent is great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank NIKKI B
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was the trip of a lifetime and Ruckomechi Camp was a wonderful start. We will not ever forget it. It was there that we first saw lions (with cubs), elephants, hippos, giraffe and impala as well as many birds.

Ruckomechi Camp was the first of 5 camps we visited in Southern Africa. The camp manager, staff and guides were all very inviting and professional. We were there to see the animals, but there was a level of comfort I didn't expect. The food was just delicious. They were always feeding us something: breakfast 6:30 am, morning tea, coffee, and crepes in the bush 9 am, brunch at 11:30 and then high tea at 3:30 in the camp, "sun downer" wine and appetizers in the National Park 6:30 pm and dinners back at the camp 7-8 pm. I don't know how we didn't gain weight.
We were there in winter (June). I highly recommend guests listen to their travel agents and bring warm clothing like fleece hats and gloves, wind breakers and fleece jackets. It was so cold and we did not bring our hats or gloves. The morning game drives and night drives were very cold. We are from upstate New York and we thought we could handle the cold. We forget that our houses and cars are heated. The tents are not, and you are in an open truck! It got down to about 32 F at night and my head was so cold. We put towels on our heads at night to keep them warm. The bed had lots of nice, warm blankets, so just our heads were cold. We also learned to sleep with our clothes for the next day under the covers so they would be warm in the morning. You will be peeling off layers as the day goes on and the afternoon temp could be 90 F, so you need a wide brimmed hat and sun screen. The Wilderness camps have good ponchos in the trucks that will keep you toasty warm if you need them. It was a life saver for those of us that did not bring enough warm clothing.

Bring some extra cash with you to buy some of the nice hand made items they sell in the camp. They don't take credit cards. Some of the pieces are made by the staff and their families and were a lot nicer and better priced than I saw in the shops in the Johannesburg Airport. Bring cash for tips too. Your travel agent will give you a recommended tip list.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple