We have recently stayed at Caribbea resort in Zimbabwe for one week as a RCI timeshare swop.
We have attempted to place our review on their web page however this is not currently operational....
so, let's summarise our experience!
Overall, the resort is more than acceptable.
Zimbabwe, as a country still has many challenges which has an impact on the day to day maintenenance of any establishments and subsequently Caribbea Bay.
No access to day to day 'normal ' needs
However, the location, view,the standard and the 'cabana' configuration was more than acceptable.
The restaurants, pools, gardens and common areas are fine. The roads, paint work and general maintenance are a challenge. The service and attention from the timeshare staff is exceptional....we did not have hot water for the first two days and as soon as the the weekend was over and cabanas became available, Cuthbert ( the timeshare 'king' and Felicity , our 'lady-in-charge, promptly moved us to another cabana. We never met 'Alisha' the name in the guest information...
The actual hotel management are not able to make any decisions and wait for the 'supervisor'.....not sure whether African Sun should have their name associated as yet?
The casino is ....well...do not expect much, few machines in a non-airconditioned room, with a few very old machines!!
We recommend cabana's 1 -4 which are right on the Kariba Lake, these are the prime cabana's with their own little swimming pool and uninterrupted view of Lake Kariba...
Finally, our RCI agent did not warn or inform us of the following....
So...If you are planning to stay at Caribbea our recommendations are as follows:
- bring cash..dollars or rands, there is NO access to cash...no credit cards, atms etc;
The management of Caribbea Sun, albeit part of the African Sun group' were not prepared or in a position to assist us with ANY of our suggestions on how we could get cash to pay for houseboats etc.
- bring ALL provisions, particularly fresh foods, we shopped in Zambia prior to crossing the border.
- be patient when crossing the border, very arrogant attitude and they are VERY sticky about car - papers etc.
- do not book your houseboat or any other excursion in SA..wait till you get to Kariba, we went straight to Tendai at Kingdom Calls, Marinaland to book our houseboat, securing a 4 berth (claimed to be 8 berth???) Royal Game, with a captain and cook for about $300 a night plus petrol, was really fantastic...!!!! Caught Tiger Fish...had a close experience with an inquisitive elephant... game viewing from the luxurious houseboat,,,diffrent experience!
Kenference as the Captain and Stanley as the chef really looked after all our needs..
Besides the snags..... in a nutshell..we cannot wait to do this trip again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Caribbea Bay is the ultimate one-stop entertainment and leisure hotel in Kariba. With a dedicated play area for children offering a range of activities including the popular Supatube Waterslide, Caribbea Bay is the perfect retreat for family vacations. Not only that, but a choice of 2 restaurants, 2 swimming pools and an array of conferencing facilities makes this hotel the perfect location for business and leisure. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Caribbea Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Caribbea Bay Hotel And Casino Resort
- Caribbea Bay Hotel Kariba