“What a wonderful experience!”
Review of The Hide

The Hide
Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was such a unique experience for me, being in The Bush, staying in an Individual tent with thatched roof protection above, solid floor, indoor bathroom and shower, and outdoor shower and big tub! My porch, as the others, faced the waterhole where many animals (like zebras in the afternoon, elephants in the early evening and during the night) went to drink. When I heard a lion outside my tent in the afternoon, I was a scardy cat and went inside, but my neighbors watched two lions walk calmly by as they enjoyed sitting on their veranda! I could hear the animals sounds at night, which was very exciting. The hospitality couldn't have been better--a lovely hostess and her assistant did everything they could to make our stay a memorable one. My wake-up call was a knock on the door with a delivery of hot chocolate, ordered the night before. After our very successful morning game drive, we had a hearty brunch. Evening dinner was beautifully presented against the backdrop of the animals and waterhole--very romantic. Included in the service was our laundry, a first for me, and very appreciated! I wish I had another day there so I could use the pool and enjoy a lounge chair to stargaze at night. There are no keys to the rooms; nevertheless, I felt very safe. All our game drives were amazing, especially one at sunset at a waterhole where we saw hundreds or elephants and cape buffalo going to the water from different directions. Magical! This is a small lodge with a intimate feel. I was travelling with a small group of 12.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good. Ask for a room close to the reception area if you have a walking problem.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank lorettam55

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ian and his staff do a great job making sure all guests are made to feel special. The tents are comfortable, although the WCs/showers are a bit utilitarian for this price point. The food was excellent, and the "leave your wallet at home" all-inclusive pricing was a nice touch compared to resorts that nickel and dime guests.

Hwange itself may be a victim of Zim's problems still though, since carnivores seem to have been hunted into near oblivion. As a result, we saw lots of starving and dead elephants and other distressed herbivores, but not much else. Hwange really pales in comparison to both Etosha and KNP, IMHO.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vancouver_DAD_83
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This past summer our family had a most wonderful time at the Hide in Hwangy National Park. The camp was great and so homy, the staff wonderful and welcoming. Our special ranger Nkosi was special, he quickly understood our individual interests and shared many life stories. His knowledge of the animal world was amazing and he obviously loved those amazing birds we saw. We were grateful to have him be assigned to us.
We took great memories with us from The Hide and hope to return on day.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw are great and you can watch the animals by the waterhole right from your patio!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Had a wonderful stay. The excellent guides Duffy and Nkosi told and explained about flora and fauna, we were lucky to see a lot of game. The Hide is a a very pleasant, quiet, clean and well organised lodge. The cuisine was delicious and the service good and efficient. Recommend!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Ever since I lived in Zimbabwe almost fifteen years ago I've always wanted to go to the Hide - but somehow it never happened, until now! So, the expectations were of course quite high! But, I must say it more or less met my (high) expectations. The fact that I did not see the animals I had hoped for is of course nothing I can blame the Hide for, so keeping to the facilities as such... Very nice setting. Good food and drinks. Management forthcoming, although not as warm and welcoming as I quite often otherwise find that it is in places like this. The cage down by the waterhole is perhaps the most unique thing about the Hide and should not be missed - unless you're claustrophobic and/or afraid of little lizards... Our guide was quite good and my sense was that the other ones were as well. Interestingly they seemed to have quite different personalities - I could see that some guides go better with certain people that others... All in all, if you can afford it, go for it! However, it is rather expensive - so, if this is THE one place you will visit in a long time and want to have a fantastic visit, you may still want to weigh your options...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BeenAroundABitToo
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We consider ourselves to be fairly seasoned Africa travellers with over dozen safaris under our belt. Quite simply this is the worst camp we have been to. It has to be said that the location is pretty good and accommodation is great. Hwange suffers from pretty poor game density. Guiding is mediocre at best with guides talking about flora and fauna without any regard to the guests level experience of the bush? calling zebra 'disco donkeys' might appeal to their normal clientele but it was certain tacky to us. Game drives start at 6.30 well after sunrise and return to camp at 8 for breakfast before departing again at 9.30 staying out till well past midday in the blazing heat. Several other thing just seemed daft. This camp is not for experienced safari goers. AVOID!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Amol K
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We both had a wonderful holiday at The Hide due in no small part to the staff and guides. We mostly had Nkosi for our game drives and he made every one of them interesting - if there were no animals or birds around he showed us the flora and how to read animal tracks. The same applied to the walking safaris undertaken with both Nicholas and also Mark. They managed to make everything very informative
The accommodation was spacious and we were lucky to have an outside bath and shower as well as an indoor shower. During the hot part of the afternoon after lunch there is nothing to beat sitting in a nice cold bath watching all the animals walking past you to the water hole
A big thank you to the catering staff who did nothing to help our expanding waist lines. The food was just too good to refuse
Finally an extremely big thank you to both Ian and Nicky for everything that they did for us. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble
We would not hesitate to recommend The Hide to anyone

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 10 which had both an inside shower and an outside bath and shower and is away from...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple