All reviews on foot walking safari game drives watering hole complete confidence real credit wished we had stayed longer safari experience six stars huge amount tracking animals exceptional staff bore hole spent nights close encounters with elephants wildlife including meal times
Selected filters
Reviewed August 26, 2018

We stayed one night at Camp Hwange and wish we'd been able to stay longer. Unfortunately we only had time for 3 days of safari and wanted to see both Hwange Main Camp and Sinamatella: it was my husband's brithday in the middle and we didn't want to send his birthday travelling, so logistics meant we had just one night at Camp Hwange and two nights elsewhere. We so wish it had worked out the other way round. Our short time here was just magnificent, both relaxing and exciting at the same time, as we were able to immerse ourselves in Zimbabwe's nature offering in the most beautiful and hospitable of safari campls.

We travelled down from Vic Falls and met out transfer at the entrance to the park. We were escorted by the most wonderful guide, Spike, who was incredibly knowledgable and great fun. By the time we had arrived at Camp Hwange we'd seen so much that it felt like we'd had a safari already, having spotted loads of birds (much to my husband's delight), baobab tress, buck and a herd of elephants at the nearby watering hole. We arrived for a late lunch which was wonderful, eating overlooking the watering hole and the savannah. After relaxing for an hour or so in beautiful surroundings it was time to head for an afternoon/evening game drive with our guide, Washington, along with another two other guests who were sharing our jeep. Heading to a watering spot we found some rarely spotted bird as well as hippo and then drove around some more seeing elephants, jackal, giraffe and zebra. We stopped for a gin and tonic sundowner (magical) before heading back for dinner.

Dinner is served around one big table which I had mixed feelings about at first, but it was really sociable and fun. The table itself is beautifully decorated (as the rest of the shared space - I would have happily had most of the art in my house) and the staff wonderful. The food itself excelled my expectations and the starter of a corn fritter was so delicious. Wine was flowing as were the laughs.

After dinner, as we were having a digestif and chatting with Dave the owner, there was word that there were two unfamiliar male lions wandering close to camp. Dave asked if we wanted to join him as he went to check them out - how could we say no?! So back in the jeep we jumped and tracked down the young male lions. It was exhilarating to follow the beautiful animals as they wandered along the paths in the moonlight (we hardly needed a torch), smelling the grass and the wider bush. We must have been tracking them for over an hour before they dissapeared out of sight. We were so lucky to have experienced this - truly life affirming!

Slept really well in our comfortable and well decorated rooms, but we needed to get up early to squeeze in a short safari before heading to our next camp. Breakfast was delicious and generous. While it was a quiet morning for game we still saw a huge herd of of buffalo and some more zebra in the beautiful morning light. We then headed off for our next lodge, which was a long day's drive. If we had more time we would have loved to have joined a walking safari following lions but it wasn't to be - but hopefully we will be back!

Final word - if you need internet, local sims don't get a good reception so you'll need to buy internet cards.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2018

I have been on safari in S Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana and Zambia, but my recent trip to Zimbabwe was the best I have ever experienced. This is in no small part due to the exceptional staff at Camp Hwange. Genuine enthusiasm, none of the fakery you get at many high end places. It is staffed by people who love being there and want to share their excitement with their guests. Our guide Adam is the best we have ever had, fantastic knowledge shared brilliantly. A superb tracker with a feel for animal's instincts and next moves. Kim runs the camp with joyful efficiency. Hwange itself is quiet and seems to attract nice engaging fellow travellers. Camp Hwange has exclusive use of a large area which means sightings are special and often solitary. In three days we saw, many lions, leopards, a magnificent cheetah, giraffe, painted dogs, hyena, porcupine, honey badgers, hippos and hundreds of elephants.

Room tip: There are no bad rooms
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2018

I have to say that after being on no less than 17 safaris in Kenya,Tanzania, Uganda, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, South Africa,Chad, Ethiopia, Malawi and Zimbabwe this lodge is as good as they get. It is located in a very remote area of the park.The views in both directions of the lodges are very beautiful.The bush vibe was just excellent.

I felt that Ashley was just a superb manager. My guide Petrus was also superb. I always had the vehicle to myself. Petrus was ably assisted by Washington and Beth who is a trainee guide. I have to say that the guiding here is some of the finest in Africa.

The rooms were super comfortable. I particularly enjoyed the showers.The food was excellent and plentiful.

Camp Hwange not only offers it's guests walking safaris but also night drives. I was delighted to see genets, a serval and African wild cats on a night drive.

The wildlife viewing was simply awesome. I saw so much besides elephants. I watched lions stalking. I also saw wild dogs which was a real treat because few tourists get to see then in Hwange despite the large population of them here. I even saw two cheetahs and much more.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2018

Outstanding safari experience in all respects. Lovely lodge with separate chalets overlooking a water hole. Very friendly and helpful staff at all levels led by Manageress Kim. Great food and service. Excellent guides working as a team. Few other vehicles in the area. A truly wonderful experience.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2018

Camp Hwange was truly incredible. From the moment we were picked up we were made to feel like family. The camp itself is located on a big private concession deep in the reserve. This means you are completely secluded from other visitors and feel like you have the whole park to yourself. On our game drives we saw pretty much everything (except Rhino and Hyena) including Lion, Leopard, Cheetah and Honey Badgers. We were so close to Lion that at times you could almost reach out and touch them. The guides were all phenomenal, we spent alot of time with Julian and Blade and grew fond of both of them but also enjoyed the time spent with Jean, Kevin Spike and Washington. The love and respect that the guides have for the bush was clearly evident and very impressive. The front of house staff, led by Kim, went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and provide truly wonderful feasts at meal times. The private dinner under the stars on our last night was simply magnificent and made very special by Simi, our waiter for the evening. Thank you to all at Camp Hwange, we will definitely be back.

Date of stay: August 2018