All reviews on foot walking safari game drives watering hole complete confidence real credit wished we had stayed longer safari experience six stars huge amount tracking animals exceptional staff bore hole spent nights close encounters with elephants wildlife including meal times
Selected filters
Reviewed August 26, 2018

I have been on safari in S Africa, Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana and Zambia, but my recent trip to Zimbabwe was the best I have ever experienced. This is in no small part due to the exceptional staff at Camp Hwange. Genuine enthusiasm, none of the fakery you get at many high end places. It is staffed by people who love being there and want to share their excitement with their guests. Our guide Adam is the best we have ever had, fantastic knowledge shared brilliantly. A superb tracker with a feel for animal's instincts and next moves. Kim runs the camp with joyful efficiency. Hwange itself is quiet and seems to attract nice engaging fellow travellers. Camp Hwange has exclusive use of a large area which means sightings are special and often solitary. In three days we saw, many lions, leopards, a magnificent cheetah, giraffe, painted dogs, hyena, porcupine, honey badgers, hippos and hundreds of elephants.

Room tip: There are no bad rooms
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed August 19, 2018

I have to say that after being on no less than 17 safaris in Kenya,Tanzania, Uganda, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, South Africa,Chad, Ethiopia, Malawi and Zimbabwe this lodge is as good as they get. It is located in a very remote area of the park.The views in both directions of the lodges are very beautiful.The bush vibe was just excellent.

I felt that Ashley was just a superb manager. My guide Petrus was also superb. I always had the vehicle to myself. Petrus was ably assisted by Washington and Beth who is a trainee guide. I have to say that the guiding here is some of the finest in Africa.

The rooms were super comfortable. I particularly enjoyed the showers.The food was excellent and plentiful.

Camp Hwange not only offers it's guests walking safaris but also night drives. I was delighted to see genets, a serval and African wild cats on a night drive.

The wildlife viewing was simply awesome. I saw so much besides elephants. I watched lions stalking. I also saw wild dogs which was a real treat because few tourists get to see then in Hwange despite the large population of them here. I even saw two cheetahs and much more.

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed August 15, 2018

Outstanding safari experience in all respects. Lovely lodge with separate chalets overlooking a water hole. Very friendly and helpful staff at all levels led by Manageress Kim. Great food and service. Excellent guides working as a team. Few other vehicles in the area. A truly wonderful experience.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2018

Camp Hwange was truly incredible. From the moment we were picked up we were made to feel like family. The camp itself is located on a big private concession deep in the reserve. This means you are completely secluded from other visitors and feel like you have the whole park to yourself. On our game drives we saw pretty much everything (except Rhino and Hyena) including Lion, Leopard, Cheetah and Honey Badgers. We were so close to Lion that at times you could almost reach out and touch them. The guides were all phenomenal, we spent alot of time with Julian and Blade and grew fond of both of them but also enjoyed the time spent with Jean, Kevin Spike and Washington. The love and respect that the guides have for the bush was clearly evident and very impressive. The front of house staff, led by Kim, went out of their way to make us feel comfortable and provide truly wonderful feasts at meal times. The private dinner under the stars on our last night was simply magnificent and made very special by Simi, our waiter for the evening. Thank you to all at Camp Hwange, we will definitely be back.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Richard W
Reviewed August 4, 2018 via mobile

Despite the unseasonably cold snap at the end of July, that necessitated hot water bottles at night, ponchos on every drive and lots of layers at dinner this was a great ecologically friendly camp with lovely fresh water from their own bore hole and solar panel-powered shower.

Staff joined us at dinner, and Melissa the hostess was always ready with a hot cuppa in the morning. Lunch - like all meals - was taken ‘captain’s table’ style, and featured a great variety of salads. (Afternoon siestas set us up for large afternoon/sundown and evening drives.)

A highlight was the sundowner table complete with white tablecloth, canapés and wine bucket for (non alcoholic) sparkling wine to accompany an amazing sunset! (Thanks Kim !)

Beth was an enthusiastic guide whose eagerness to learn about every element of the environment was infectious. And Kevin proved to be a great, knowledgeable guide on both drives and morning walks, who continually proved his priority was our safety. They made our stay!

Date of stay: July 2018