All reviews on foot walking safari great lengths to ensure watering hole game drives complete confidence every single meal wished we had stayed longer safari experience exceptional staff open shower elusive leopard six stars huge amount spent nights tracking animals bore hole
Reviewed July 21, 2017 via mobile

Our Camp Hwange holiday started with a drive from Victoria Falls and even before we'd reached the camp we were treated to a smorgasbord of game sightings.

While the camp is remote, being located right in the centre of the Hwange National Park, it is that remoteness along with natural bush that stretches as far as the eye can see and a complete lack of other tourist traffic that helped to make our adventure so special.

The camp itself is designed to extend that authentic African Safari experience with a large, thatched communal living space and fire pit perfect for gathering around along with well appointed thatch and canvas huts. The huts are far enough apart but close enough to the watering hole that we could feel alone while enjoying the hippo frolicking and playing just meters in front of us.

The camp hostesses and their staff were extremely professional, constantly attending to our needs, providing quality meals, snacks and drinks at regular intervals.

The guides were friendly and went to great lengths to ensure that we got to see all the types of game that we wanted to see.

Our iconic Camp Hwange adventure will be remembered fondly along with the great friends we met on the trip.

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 15, 2017 via mobile

An amazing place to spend a few days.....the camp staff were brilliant. Thank you Tracey and Francie (and everyone else too). We were served wonderful food at every meal time - and in between too! The attention to detail was fantastic, right down to table cloths for mid-morning tea breaks. The guides Dave, Julian, Adam and Mackenzie were very knowledgable and informative with great sense of humour too. Nothing was too much trouble - even helping me with my phone camera to make the most of photo opportunities. The wildlife was spectacular and we had the opportunity to do bush walks. The camp accommodation was very comfortable, immaculately kept and the hot water bottles were much appreciated! We are already planning a return trip. Thank you so much for a great stay

Date of stay: June 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank sj1809
Reviewed July 14, 2017

Facilities are 5-star, meals are exquisite, guides are professional, game viewing is unequaled. Dave, Julian and Adam make one's visit not-to-be-forgotten. We've visited three times with groups of up to 20 pax, and are returning next year in July with 20 more excited pax. Don't miss Camp Hwange!

Room tip: No need to choose; rooms face the water hole where elephants, buffalo, and hippos come to drink and play.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2017

From the 1st evening we arrived to the final morning, the guides (Julian and McKenzie) provided my family (3 adults and 11 year old boy) with an exceptional experience. The attention to detail and really listening to which animals we wanted to see most was evident each time we went out on safari. Julian can only be described as a pro's pro. We had total confidence in him as we walked behind him on foot, even when tracking a lion. The food was surprisingly excellent; never really expected a great culinary experience in the middle of the savannah, but we totally enjoyed every meal. The chalets (tents really, but so well appointed) were right by a watering hole, no fences or other barrier from the animals; I wouldn't have it any other way. Franzi (spelling?) was a superb hostess as was all her staff. If you usually stay in a nice hotel, consider Camp Hwange instead - we were so glad we did! Jean A, Florida, USA

Room tip: All the chalets have the same accommodations, so it really doesn't matter which one you're in.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2017

Camp Hwange was always on my bucket list, and sadly for me it did not deliver. Firstly let me say, the tents are superb, the food was just OK, when I mentioned I don't eat sausage casserole at home, I was told it was the end of the month and the supplies were down so the choice of food was limited. H'mm. The food aside, I had travelled a long way to see Hwange's wildlife, and that was almost non existent! I paid good money for three days, and saw not much at all.. To make matters worse the head guide being on leave and the second guide busy guiding his relatives, of which I understand, & I got the rookie. Lovely man, but still a rookie. On our second day we were offered a 12 hour drive, lunch included of course, and you will be traversing the park following buffalo, which will be followed by lion, sounded great. Jumped in the truck, and after ten minutes I realised we had the small loan vehicle which bellowed smoke, and it was really hard and uncomfy. So I requested to go back to camp after a few hours, as I was choking on the fumes, which if there was any animals I would put up with it. Saw nothing, I mean nothing! It's the green season though..........was all they told me. Glad to leave in the end. I do not like writing negative feed backs especially for Zimbabwe, as I feel it is suffering enough, but I wanted to express my feelings, so maybe it won't be the same for other visitors, maybe pay more and go in the high season.

Date of stay: May 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank angela s
Camp H, Owner at Camp Hwange, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Dear Angela,
Firstly, I would like to extend sincere apologies that your experience of Camp Hwange did not match up to your expectations and that you felt we did not deliver. Having met you personally whilst you were in camp, you confirmed that you are well travelled in Africa and that you do your best to come to Africa most years. I was surprised to read your review on Tripadvisor as when I met you in camp you did not highlight any of these issues to me or the Management staff and had you raised an issue with regards to any of the points mentioned, we would have certainly gone out of our way to make the necessary changes to your guide or meals to ensure your experience was improved. We do pride ourselves on the experience we offer to our guests and it is rare for us to receive this kind of feedback. I do understand however that every guest has different expectations and so if an issue is ever highlighted we would take the necessary steps to resolve it. Unfortunately, in this case we were not aware of any issue whilst you were in camp.

As a well-seasoned traveller, I would anticipate that you have an understanding that particular wildlife sightings are never guaranteed and that wildlife encounters are very much a case of “luck of the draw”, particularly during the rainy season when the vegetation is thicker and the wildlife is more dispersed. This year has seen Zimbabwe experience above average rainfall and very late rains, all of which we are grateful for as it was needed to avoid another drought. During the week you were with us, we did experience overcast and windy weather, which does impact sightings, and I am sure you can appreciate was beyond our control.

In terms of the food, I would like to sincerely apologise that you did not like our food in camp and that when you mentioned you did not eat what was being served an alternative was not offered. This is not acceptable and I will address this with my staff.  We generally receive guest’s dietary requirements in advance of their arrival which helps us to try to cater to the different tastes. I am however doubtful any member of staff would tell a guest that “it was end of month and supplies were down so options were limited”. This is not how we operate and our supply orders for the camp are done in advance and according to guest numbers to ensure we always have adequate supplies.

In terms of the guiding, Camp Hwange is renowned for its quality of guides, both learner and fully qualified professional guides, all of whom are interviewed and employed by me and the selection process is based on their passion, experience and knowledge as well as their abilities to interact with guests. There are different levels of guides based on the activities that they conduct for guests. Learner / Driver Guides conduct game drives only whereas fully qualified professional guides conduct walking safaris and game drives. As you had confirmed you would not do a walking safari, we had arranged for our driver guide Mckenzie to look after you.  Mckenzie has three years of experience as a driver guide and the feedback on his guiding since joining us has been positive. Had you however requested an alternative guide we would have happily made changes.

As for the vehicle, many of our guests love the experience of conducting a game drive in a land rover, which generally is viewed as the “ultimate authentic safari vehicle”. If I recall correctly, after your return to camp that day we did change your vehicle to one of our Toyota 4 x 4 game drive vehicle. Having said that however, again I would like to apologise that this impacted your experience.

In closing I would like to reiterate that our guest experience is our priority and had we been informed your experience was not going well, we would have taken the necessary steps to improve on it. I would like to recommend that in future whilst you are on safari, if you are not happy with the guide, food or services, that you approach the Management or staff in camp to discuss it with them. This will not only allow for your expectations to be delivered on and thus enhance your experience, but will also allow for the Camp or Staff where you are staying to adapt or improve on their delivery.

We hope you will be able to return to Zimbabwe in the future to improve on your experience with us.