Sable Sands(Hwange National Park)
Book now, pay at stay
$323
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Ganda Lodge(Hwange National Park)(Great Value!)
$128
  • Pool
Tuskers Camp Site(Hwange National Park)
Verney's Camp(Hwange National Park)
The Hide(Hwange National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Elephant's Eye, Hwange(Hwange National Park)
TripAdvisor
Ivory Lodge(Hwange National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Gwango Elephant Lodge(Hwange National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Hwange Safari Lodge(Hwange National Park)
TripAdvisor
Malindi Station Safari Lodge(Hwange National Park)
TripAdvisor
All reviewson footgreat lengths to ensurewalking safarigame drivesevery single mealsafari experiencewatering holehuge amountopen showerelusive leopardan exceptional experienceafrican wildernessvictoria fallsbush dinnergreen seasonmeal timesmorning drive
Reviewed July 2, 2017

Camp Hwange was always on my bucket list, and sadly for me it did not deliver. Firstly let me say, the tents are superb, the food was just OK, when I mentioned I don't eat sausage casserole at home, I was told it was the end of the month and the supplies were down so the choice of food was limited. H'mm. The food aside, I had travelled a long way to see Hwange's wildlife, and that was almost non existent! I paid good money for three days, and saw not much at all.. To make matters worse the head guide being on leave and the second guide busy guiding his relatives, of which I understand, & I got the rookie. Lovely man, but still a rookie. On our second day we were offered a 12 hour drive, lunch included of course, and you will be traversing the park following buffalo, which will be followed by lion, sounded great. Jumped in the truck, and after ten minutes I realised we had the small loan vehicle which bellowed smoke, and it was really hard and uncomfy. So I requested to go back to camp after a few hours, as I was choking on the fumes, which if there was any animals I would put up with it. Saw nothing, I mean nothing! It's the green season though..........was all they told me. Glad to leave in the end. I do not like writing negative feed backs especially for Zimbabwe, as I feel it is suffering enough, but I wanted to express my feelings, so maybe it won't be the same for other visitors, maybe pay more and go in the high season.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angela s
Camp H, Owner at Camp Hwange, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2017

Dear Angela,
Firstly, I would like to extend sincere apologies that your experience of Camp Hwange did not match up to your expectations and that you felt we did not deliver. Having met you personally whilst you were in camp, you confirmed that you are well travelled in Africa and that you do your best to come to Africa most years. I was surprised to read your review on Tripadvisor as when I met you in camp you did not highlight any of these issues to me or the Management staff and had you raised an issue with regards to any of the points mentioned, we would have certainly gone out of our way to make the necessary changes to your guide or meals to ensure your experience was improved. We do pride ourselves on the experience we offer to our guests and it is rare for us to receive this kind of feedback. I do understand however that every guest has different expectations and so if an issue is ever highlighted we would take the necessary steps to resolve it. Unfortunately, in this case we were not aware of any issue whilst you were in camp.

As a well-seasoned traveller, I would anticipate that you have an understanding that particular wildlife sightings are never guaranteed and that wildlife encounters are very much a case of “luck of the draw”, particularly during the rainy season when the vegetation is thicker and the wildlife is more dispersed. This year has seen Zimbabwe experience above average rainfall and very late rains, all of which we are grateful for as it was needed to avoid another drought. During the week you were with us, we did experience overcast and windy weather, which does impact sightings, and I am sure you can appreciate was beyond our control.

In terms of the food, I would like to sincerely apologise that you did not like our food in camp and that when you mentioned you did not eat what was being served an alternative was not offered. This is not acceptable and I will address this with my staff.  We generally receive guest’s dietary requirements in advance of their arrival which helps us to try to cater to the different tastes. I am however doubtful any member of staff would tell a guest that “it was end of month and supplies were down so options were limited”. This is not how we operate and our supply orders for the camp are done in advance and according to guest numbers to ensure we always have adequate supplies.

In terms of the guiding, Camp Hwange is renowned for its quality of guides, both learner and fully qualified professional guides, all of whom are interviewed and employed by me and the selection process is based on their passion, experience and knowledge as well as their abilities to interact with guests. There are different levels of guides based on the activities that they conduct for guests. Learner / Driver Guides conduct game drives only whereas fully qualified professional guides conduct walking safaris and game drives. As you had confirmed you would not do a walking safari, we had arranged for our driver guide Mckenzie to look after you.  Mckenzie has three years of experience as a driver guide and the feedback on his guiding since joining us has been positive. Had you however requested an alternative guide we would have happily made changes.

As for the vehicle, many of our guests love the experience of conducting a game drive in a land rover, which generally is viewed as the “ultimate authentic safari vehicle”. If I recall correctly, after your return to camp that day we did change your vehicle to one of our Toyota 4 x 4 game drive vehicle. Having said that however, again I would like to apologise that this impacted your experience.

In closing I would like to reiterate that our guest experience is our priority and had we been informed your experience was not going well, we would have taken the necessary steps to improve on it. I would like to recommend that in future whilst you are on safari, if you are not happy with the guide, food or services, that you approach the Management or staff in camp to discuss it with them. This will not only allow for your expectations to be delivered on and thus enhance your experience, but will also allow for the Camp or Staff where you are staying to adapt or improve on their delivery.

We hope you will be able to return to Zimbabwe in the future to improve on your experience with us.

Reviewed June 23, 2017

For our first African safari we couldn't have asked for more. Camp Hwange was exceptional. Right from the moment our transfer began from the airport, the game drive also began. It was exciting to learn about the vegetation and wildlife all along the route to the camp. Once we arrived at the camp, we were greeted by extremely friendly staff that eventually enhanced our experience during the stay.

Our guide Adam was highly knowledgeable, enthusiastic and engaging with a great sense of humor. We chose Zimbabwe specifically for walking safari. We wanted to experience not just the big game but everything about the African wilderness. Adam made sure that we got more than what we expected. With the help of Changa, the tracker and Adam, we were able to see over 25 species of animals, 80 species of birds, learn about the vegetation of Hwange and truly appreciate the unique ecology of Africa.

Some of the things we really enjoyed was having meals with the other guests at the camp and the staff, sharing our exciting experiences. The fellow travelers also made a big difference and the credit goes to the Camp Hwange staff for making it happen. Camp Hwange took note of our dietary requirements, in that we are vegetarians and served us the choicest of veg delights including freshly baked pastries and cookies.

There is so much to do at Camp Hwange that we thought 3 days was too short a stay and we want to go back for more.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 15, 2017

We had such a wonderful 5 nights stay at Camp Hwange! Every day we could witness the staff's dedication to make your journey unforgettable.

It is a really nice place, the tents are very nice, thoughtfully arranged and very comfortable.
The concession offers various landscapes and we were able to spot so many animals. Our guide was really professionnal, adapting to our experience and knowledge and always making sure that the instant was pleasant.
The day is well organized and believe us when we say that you'll never be hungry!
The reception area is also a nice place for lunch and dinner, where you 'll be able to meet other guests and share the experiences and encounters of the day.
This was our first Safari and it is clearly one of the best experiences we had so far.
We definitely intend to go back one day!

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2017

I stayed in Camp Hwange for 3 nights in March. I understood before booking that it was the green season and that sightings of game may be more difficult due to the lush vegetation. However the birdlife was prolific and we saw a good variety of game. The camp is very efficiently run and the 2 hostesses Tracey and Francie are always on hand to welcome you back after a game drive and help you in any way they can. My guide Adam was excellent, he exuded enthusiasm for all aspects of wildlife. I have done many safaris in various countries and I rate him as one of the best ever. He brought everything to life and his depth of knowledge was incredible. It was so interesting to learn about small creatures, plants as well as birds and animals.. I had decided before travelling to Zimbabwe that I would not do a walking safari so I was very surprised to find myself tracking a leopard, which we had just seen, through the bush. A very exhilarating experience! The camp is very well appointed and the rooms comfortable. Thank you to everyone for making my time at Camp Hwange so interesting and special

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank Hilary F
Reviewed March 29, 2017

recently went to Zimbabwe chasing an amazing experience l had at a game reserve in Sth Africa some four years ago. well thank god this place didn't let me down. Hear are the positives. Only eight huts, guaranteeing a personalised experience you can't beat that l promise you. Excellent staff, especially the girls who greet you everytime you come back from a drive and offer you a drink, you can go on walking safaris and the setting is beautiful. Finally the huts are great, heaps of room and open air for that African feel. A few negatives, water pressure in showers not good ( they need to attach pumps or raise the header tanks), walking safaris are part of morning drive would be better to design more walks and some from the camp.finally when walking take your own toilet paper, couldn't believe when l had to go the guide didn't have any on him( so embarrassing). Having said that this place earns a 5 star rating from me. I am a hard critic and to get this rating says alot. Finally the food. While simple it is excellent, and the grog is included and generous. The night fire ( which l love) says going until YOU go to bed, most places wont do this, another little but special reason l like it here. Well done

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vern794
Camp-Hwange, Manager at Camp Hwange, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2017

Dear Vern
Thank you for your review. It was great to have you two, and we really enjoyed our fireside chats! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you as well for your suggestions. We always appreciate any feedback. We are pleased that we were able to give you the amazing experience you were chasing!

Best Regards