“Comfortable Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Douz
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Comfortable Hotel”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night as part of our Sahara Safari Excursion! After being on the coach all day it was a welcome to get here! Service was quick checking in we left our bags in our room and went straight for the pool (bliss but beware it is very deep if you have small children)! Buffet meal was lovely in the evening something for everyone and same said for the breakfast the next morning!
All in all better than what we were expecting!!!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Polish first
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed here on the two day 'Simply Sahara' trip with Thomson/Tunisie voyages so didn't get a choice where I stayed. Seemed to be mostly stopovers on excursions so I presume Tunisie voyages get a good rate since the hotel would probably go out of business without them.

On the plus side, the hotel seemed clean and the barman was probably just trying to be jovial and had no idea how annoying he was by constantly saying "lovely jubbly". The rooms were small and the furniture had seen better days plus there was an odd smell in the room (possibly a combination of smoking and an attempt to hide the smell of smoke). The variety of food on offer was limited and the restaurant had all of the ambience of a works canteen plus the chairs were wobbly.

My main objection though was that all of the single guests were made to wait whilst the other rooms were given out and were told that they may have to share if there weren't enough rooms. In the end, we didn't have to but I was very annoyed at being told I might have to share.

I booked as a single person and was told that I would here to pay a 20 dinar single supplement which I had no objection to so I was not happy that the rooms had not been reserved. All of the other single guests who had booked through their Thomson reps were similarly annoyed. Don't know if this last criticism is really the hotel's fault for not bothering to keep the rooms or Tunisie voyages fault for not bothering to request them so it may be unfair including it in the hotel review however I will also review the excursion and include the point there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stopped at this hotel for an overnight stay during our 5-day trip in the desert.

The hotel is simple but clean, with a nice pool site and a good buffet-style menu. We had time to relax next to the pool before going on our camel ride at the Sahara door.

We slept well in the simple, but quiet room.

Only cons... the conditionned air cannot be regularized and is not powerfull enough, plus the Wi-Fi routers are probably old since they use WEP encryption only, which is not working with America's computer who uses WPA or WPA-2 encryption. Wi-Fi routers need to be upgraded.

In the end, the value worth the stop.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 1 night during Safari trip. Check in was very quick, the room was spacious, clean. The dinner and breakfast was also very good. They have wifi only at the reception. The hotel also has a swimming pool and bar.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Staffordshire Moorlands
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was the second time we had stayed at the Sun Palm Hotel in Douz, as part of a two day trip from the coast to the south with Thomson Holidays, an amazing part of Tunisia.

The hotel is of traditional style built around courtyard gardens. It was warm and comfortable and we were allocated a very spacious room - wish we had been staying longer.

The pillows were on the hard side, but I soon got used to it and had a very comfortable night's sleep.

The restaurant served an excellent buffet style evening meal, and there was an extensive choice for our early breakfast at 5a.m. with hot and cold options.

There are a couple of shops in the hotel foyer, as well as a hamman.

Can only speak very highly of this venue.

Room Tip: There isnt a lift, but rooms are available on the ground floor for those who need them - just ask on...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I only spent one night at this hotel on September 10 just over two weeks ago. I found the hotel very pleasant and the staff that I came into contact with very helpful which is a bonus as it seems to be used as a one night stopover for most guests.

The hotel has some nice little garden courtyards, a hammam, a shop, snugs, a bar, a restaurant and a pool which is situated in a kind of courtyard surrounded by palm trees. On the night I stayed it was hot enough for guests to swim in the dark and the waiters were still serving drinks there.

My room was large and spotless with four beds, fully air conditioned (which was really needed), with a fridge. It was located on the first floor which is in the open air. I had dinner at the hotel which was a buffet that was kind of ok and breakfast that consisted of hard boiled eggs, salads, pastries, breads, cereals etc, but I was up before the dawn so if it was later I asume there would have been ore on offer.

I liked it here and wished I could of spent a little longer to appreciate it a bit more but I had to move on to wherever the road takes me.....

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TooWander
Suffolk, England
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed here as part of the Sahara Experience with Thomson. We were pleasantly pleased at the quality of the hotel on our arrival after a long hot trip in the coach. We expected something very basic and this was much better than that . The swimming pool was a welcome bonus before our camel trip. Room was clean and AC worked fine, beds comfortable, better than our hotel in resort. Food was fine both for dinner and breakfast. No complaints at all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douz
Hotel Sahara Douz
Camp Mars
Camp Mars
#1 of 1 in Jebil National Park
Camp Yadis Ksar Guilane

Been to Sun Palm? Share your experiences!