“1 night - Simply Sahara Experience”
Review of Mehari Douz

Mehari Douz
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Douz
“1 night - Simply Sahara Experience”
Reviewed June 13, 2012

My boyfriend and i stayed here for the night as part of the 2 day Sahara excursion. The hotel is very clean and staff friendly. The food was average but i enjoyed watching the local lady make bread and cook it for us in the buffet area. The Sahara is right in the door step (no joke) and that is what makes this hotel special.

Room Tip: Must have air-con......very hot even in May
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Polish first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Stayed for the one night as we were on the Simply Sahara trip with Thompsons. I was pleasantly surprised, although I did not sleep very well, but that;s nothing to do with the hotel - that's just me! The room was clean and tidy, beds were comfy, 2 swimming pools, also a TV room and a pool table! Food was excellant, although eating at 4.30 am is not for me!

All in all a good hotel!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We stayed here as part of an organised tour to the Sahara region of Tunisia. We found the hotel comfortable and the staff friendly.
Enjoyed a sunset camel ride in the desert very close to the hotel.
The best thing about the hotel was the two swimming pools and the fact that they were open until the late evening. After a full day travelling and then a camel ride at sunset it was great to jump in the pool before dinner. It was dark outside and the pool wasn't lit up too brightly so you could enjoy swimming beneath the stars. There was also another sulfur thermal pool which was great as well, although it was a little too dark in this corner of the grounds.
The hotel room was basic but clean and the breakfast and evening meal were fine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here one night during our Sahara trip. First Impresson wasn't that impressed, but the staff were friendly and the pool was amazing specially after a 13 hour bus trip. Food was good and the bread lady was amazing. Our room however had ants which we didn't realise until we were going to bed and I thought it a bit strange that we had to pay 1DNR to take our own photos in the restaurant. On the whole ok for a one night stay but not for a holiday.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Novi Sad, Serbia
Reviewed August 29, 2011

In our trip through Sahara, we stayed in this hotel for one night. It was a true surprise that there is such a hotel in the middle of the desert. Food was great , rooms were nice and clean. There is a outside pool with hot water, it was a nice experiance enjoying in the pool, in the middle of the night in the middle of desert ;)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2011

On our stay in Tunisia we had the opportunity to go on a one in a lifetime trip. Mid-way on this trip we stayed in the Mehari Douz. I was worried that we were going to be put in a dirty little basic hotel however I was more then pleasantly suprised.
The room itself was basic; en-suite, bed and dressing table, but it was all clean. Our stay was half-board and we enjoyed a lovely dinner including bread made right there and then in the dining room by a lady. It didn't have the choice of our main hotel but it was all good.
The pool area was beautiful but even more impressive was a warm water pool which had sulphuric rock in it which is good for the skin.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I stayed at the Mehari Douz hotel for one night in July only because this was the hotel my travel agency (TUI Nordic) had chosen for the 2 days Tunisia trip. It was supposed to be a 4 star hotel but expect more of 2 star hotel. During check in the staff were sort of 'competing' over who could 'help' the most people to their rooms. I didn't see the point of this as the hotel wasn't that big and there were clear signs showing the direction to every room in the hotel. Me and my girlfriend only carried one backpack but one staff member insisted in showing us to our room. I could tell that he was not doing it because he was friendly but because he wanted a tip.

As there were many people arriving at the same time he walked in front of us very fast (so that he could continue with other guests ASAP, I guess). After having showed us the room I said thank you and started to small talk with my girlfriend. I noticed that the man was still in the room looking at us. He didn't speak any English but it was easy to tell that he was looking for money. I said thank you and very politely bye bye. He closed the door with a smash, didn't say a word. I mean, why would a tip a guy for doing something for us we didn't even want? Was he doing as a favor? Doesn't he get a salary?

The room itself was pretty clean, however it didn't have any windows, balcony etc, and the walls were kind of thin. It felt cheap but I guess that's what you can expect while being so close to the Sahara dessert. We didn't bother to swim in the pool so we decided to leave the hotel for a walk. There was nothing, just a road and sand. Wen't back to the hotel and awaited the dinner buffé. The food was OK and the drinks were overpriced and cost me a lot more than it would have done back home in Scandinavia, now talk about taking advantage of the situation. As there were so many people dining e had to share a table with another couple. In what four star hotel would you have to do that?

I'd say the hotel is OK for one night's stay if you're doing the Tunisia tour. However I wouldn't stay here for much longer due to the hotel's location.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douz
Sun Palm
#2 of 7 in Douz
Camp Mars
Camp Mars
#1 of 1 in Jebil National Park

Been to Mehari Douz? Share your experiences!