“Not Really A 4* Hotel.......”
Review of Hotel Sahara Douz

Hotel Sahara Douz
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Douz
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I find it odd actually writing a "poor" review of a hotel, as I have always had great experiences when travelling. However, I must stress that this hotel review was based on 1 night's stay and was not my choice of hotel The stay was arranged as part of a 2 day Sahara Experience via our Hotel Rep from Thomas Cook on one of their organised activities.

On arrival, from the outside the hotel looked to be great, but once we got inside this view started to waiver a little. Check in was pretty good the tour guide gave all the people keys to rooms, some people were given adjoining family rooms for those with kids etc, and we were issued with a standard double room overlooking the pool.

Once we found the room, it was very hot, dark and had very small windows. We tried to turn on the Air Con in the room and it worked but made a noise very similar to metal grinding on metal. The windows were so small that light was hard to reach in the room, and the whole feel was cheap and dingy.

Reluctantly I walked back to reception to see the front desk manager, and explained (with some help from a porter) what the problem was. They did in their defense issue a new key and take us to a room that was larger, but still it was hot and had very small windows and a lack of light. The Air Con did not work in this room at all, and it was our choice not to complain or ask to move again for fear of appearing rude etc.

Dinner time came, and we met some friends in the restaurant. Buffet Style was the only option, but the food was bland, cold and choice was very very limited in comparison to many other hotels that I have stayed in. We found the waiting staff to be unusually rude, and they were all pretty much non communicative, and clearly did not appear to be impressed with 3 coaches of people turning up for one night only. We were asked to leave no sooner than we had eaten, being told to pay for our bottle water before we went.

After dinner, we arranged to meet in the bar, for a quick drink before bed as we had been told that we were required to be at breakfast for 04:00 the next day. The bar staff again were rude and very impatient, again a chore almost to serve us. Prices in the bar were VERY high compared to other hotel prices. (We asked this of several people on the tour, all of whom had joined from around 5 or 6 different hotels in the area!).

With no Air Con, and a very noisy room, combined with the location of the hotel, we did not sleep as well as we had hoped, but considering all factors it is no surprise.

Breakfast was again sadly a sorry affair, lack of food, lack of choice and rude and dismissive staff...... There is little more to stay really.

I am unable to pass comment or judgement on the rest of the hotel, we did not use the swimming pool, nor see what (if any) entertainment there was, so do take this review with an open mind.

All this said, I would not by choice to stay in this hotel again, and therefore based on this poor experience would have to urge others to fully investigate the hotel and facilities before staying here. I would not accept this as a 4* property, more of a basic/entry level 3* Hotel.

It is worth noting that this hotel is owned and operated by the Tunisia Tourist Service, so the star rating may well be an internal rating instead of the ratings that we are used to in the UK.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kalwells

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Beautiful hotel, gorgeous pool area. Nice food. Rooms nice but could do with a fridge. HOWEVER it was absolutely roasting hot and the AC didnt work. Could not sleep at all for the heat. Had windows open all night and as a result got heaps of mozzie bites and got up at least 4 times and stood in cold shower. Air con working would have gotten a 5 instead of a 3 from me!!

Room Tip: Ask what rooms the AC work in !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank kagsie9
Reviewed April 24, 2013

My husband and I embarked a two day one night Sahara excursion which included one night's stay at this hotel.

As we entered the holiday we were greeted by an beautiful lobby. The lobby staff were fast and efficient in checking us in and we were in our room in no time!

The room was spotlessly clean, in fact, everything in the room looked brand new. The bathroom was certainly new and looked very high spec. The shower was brilliant. The bed was very comfortable. Our room faced the pool which was lit up at night and gave a romantic ambience.

The Buffet was amazing! There was so much choice and the food was delicious. The waiters were very polite and attentive.

The only downside to the hotel room was the air con, which didn't work, but that wasn't too big a deal, but it would have been nice to have a warmer room as the evenings were quite cold.

Overall, I ate well and slept well here! One happy customer!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

As most other reviewers we stayed here as part of our two day Sahara tour and I was very impressed with the hotel. The decor is simple but elegant and fits in very nicely with the beautiful dessert surroundings. The outdoor pool is beautiful and a unique feature is the thermal pool, my only complaint was that it was a little cold for me! We had buffet for both dinner and breakfast, a wide variety of food, vegetarian options and loads of delicious salads! Most of the food was pretty good except for the thai noodles which had a sort of chemically taste (can't really expect Tunisians to cook thai though). Service were friendly and helpfull, and I loved the bar and salon de the area, very elegant and the pepermint tea was very yummy. Would definitely recommend it to others :)

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We did a two day tour of Tunisia and stop here over night. I must stay it was such a welcome stop after a long day. the hotel is really night and well equipt and the staff are so friendly. The dinner and breakfast were top notch and it definitely contributed towards a great Sahara experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed here for one night last summer 2012; it was honestly the best stay ever. The staff were so kind and friendly especially a host called Habibi (wore a red fez) they were so helpful too, my mum and I forgot our travel adaptor and they kindly let us borrow one and gave us drinks as we came in. After a lovely dinner, my mum and I had some Shisha and the most amazing fresh mint tea and the host charged us less money. I would definitely go back, the rooms are slightly smaller then most 4 star hotels but that really didn’t bother us.

Room Tip: Room by the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

As with many others, my fiancee and I stayed here after the camel trip on the Sahara explorer package. Great place, natural spa powered indoor pool and shisha pipes around the corner. Clean, accomodating and very friendly staff who chatted our ears off in the shisha room (guy with a fez). Best hotel we stayed in all holiday. As an added bonus it was my lady's birthday and they prepared a birthday cake. Awesome! Thanks for making Lizzie's holiday!

• Stayed: April 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douz
El Mouradi
Residence La Source
Residence La Source
#1 of 1 in Ksar Ghilane
Camp Yadis Ksar Guilane

Been to Hotel Sahara Douz? Share your experiences!