“FANTASTIC HOTEL”
Review of Hotel Sahara Douz

Hotel Sahara Douz
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Douz
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here overnight on The Sahara Explorer Two Day Trip. After a long day on a coach and an hour on a Camel we were tired and achey! We were impressed with the reception area and our room. After a nice hot shower we went down for a meal which was included in our trip then onto the bar for drinks which we had to pay for. The bar area is lovely and low lit so its the perfect place to unwind. If you want to get away from everything this hotel is perfect plus The Sahara desert is just a stones throw away.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed here on our 2 day excursion with Thomas Cook. We had been up since 5 the morning before so was incredibly tired by the time we reached the hotel. Once we got to the hotel a group of us were able to sit by the pool and had our drinks brought to us which was very nice aswel as a swim in the outdoor pool at midnight. It was a lovely relaxed atmosphere with friendly staff who were always on hand to help. The food was the only let down but then again alot of the local food that we attempted to eat was not the nicest. Would defiantly recommend it to anyone of any age.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have been to Douz for a Short stay (2 nights) with two of my friends. We've booked a "triple room" (I am not sure wether "triple" means three equal beds or double + extra bed, it seems to be an abused word). I have had a previous bad souvenir the year before with another Hotel in the region (please see my reviews). We've done a booking via a travel agency, well reputed in Tunisia and I can say that this case was a big deception. It was a load period for the region since their was the International Sahara Festival. So we have booked earlier enough in advance. For a 4* Hotel, we've expected a minimum of comfort. All has started with the reception man which assigned us (I don't know wheter with good intent or not) a small room, with a shower (not bathroom) and with no balcony. In my mind, All the classified Hotels should have oubviously at minimum a balcony where a rest can be taken, a cigarette can be smoken, and some fresh air can breathed. To my big deception, the room was too small for three persons, similar to a cell, one of the beds was smaller, no balcony, only a shower. I came back to reception and asked for change, the man told me "this is all we have and I can't change, otherwise I can look for another Hotel". This behavious made me angry, I asked for the Hotel manager, he tried to find a solution for me, he tried to convince me that the quality of rooms are acceptable and did not like my comparison with other Hotels. The housing manager came then and tried to solve the problem of the third bed. We wre given another room with a bathroom (quite good). But still with no balcony. Thanks to her efforts, we could manage some space in the room, but not get the required confort.
The hot swimming pool was not fully covered, the water was yellow-coloured (due to sulfur content) but was not big issue. Food in the restaurant was quite varied, but still below my expectations from a four star Hotel. In general, I think that the classification should be reviewed. This Hotel is not worth four star. More customer care should be granted.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms which does not have a balcony. Ask a room with balcony when you book. Should be specifie...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tunisian_sailor
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Like most people I only stayed here one night as part of the THomas Cook Sahara Explorer trip. Therefore I can give only a limited review but here goes...
-- Room was clean and comfortable. We were in a room next to the stairwell though which I would avoid as the door to the stairs squeaks, a lot!!
- Good meal in the restaurant and tasty breakfast. Limited choice for veggies (seems to be a countrywide thing).
- Thermal pool nice addition.
-Perfect base for Sahara trip.

Room Tip: Not the one next to the restaurant stairwell!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

On our recent weeks holiday in tunisia we booked a trip to the sahara.This turned out to be a two day adventure with a one night stop at the sahara douz.We arrived late afternoon,tired ,dusty and very much in need of a rest.The hotel turned out to be one of the best we have stayed in.The staff were very helpful,the rooms we had were of an excellent quality,nicely decorated and very clean.After a much needed shower we went to the bar area,staff as usual with tunisian hotels were there straight away to see to our needs.Drinks seemed a little pricey compered to the hotel at our resort but not too bad.We then headed into the dining room which was buffet style.I couldn't believe the choice that was on offer,truly outstanding,if you couldn't fint something you liked there you must be really fussy.Salads, breads,soup,a wide range of hot food as well ,something for everyone,the deserts were lovely and plentiful,and the fresh fruit was superb.Restaurant staff were on the ball at clearing tables and were very friendly.We then headed back to our room for a short but good nights sleep,comfortable beds,good air con,the four a-m alarm call came all too soon.We then went down for a very early breakfast, which considering the time was very good ,cereals, toast, cakes ,fruit,and hot food for those that needed.Our overnight stay was over all to quickly,but all in all i would have no hesitation in returning to hotel sahara douz. VERY GOOD.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for just 1 night as part of the Sahara explorer trip. Nice enough hotel it was clean and well presented. Food was ok but not a patch on the food we had back at our 3* hotel in sousse and this hotel is a 4*. Bar drinks were alot more expensive than we imagined them to be, a vodka and coke and a beer was £8. Outdoor pool was out of use and empty of water. But for a one night stopover it did use job

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here overnight during a Thomas Cook 2 day trip to the "edge of the Sahara".
We certainly won't be back, the hotel has little or no atmosphere, expensive drinks and poor food.
Staff were friendly enough but virtually all the Tunisian people we met were of that nature.

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Douz
El Mouradi
Residence La Source
Residence La Source
#1 of 1 in Ksar Ghilane
Camp Yadis Ksar Guilane

Been to Hotel Sahara Douz? Share your experiences!