“Luxury garden villa in the paradise”

Le Domaine de L'Orangeraie Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in La Digue Island
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Stunning property. An absolute beauty on the pearl of the Indian Ocean. From pick up at the ferry to check out - I only wish I could stay longer here.

Wonderful and luxury villa. The amenities are excellent. Comfortable bed, spacious room, beautiful garden. I had a tough time pulling myself out of the room (but at the same time La Digue is such a paradise that you want to go around. How tough is our life there!)

Breakfast by the ocean to kick off the day. Free bike to go around beautiful beaches. They offer "After check out service" to let us shower and rest. Perfect stay and great memories!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,819)

Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed two nights at L'Orangeraie in May. First of all this property is stunning, absolutely beautiful. When we arrived, we were so impressed by the sheer beauty found at this hotel. Abby was our guest relations executive and she was excellent. She provided a great overview of the property and offered terrific service. Our villa was fantastic, providing everything we needed. Our package included both breakfast and dinner. I have to say, this hotel has some of the best buffet food we have ever experienced. Our first night there, I shared with the Chef working the grill that I have a shellfish food allergy. He personally prepared a chicken breast separately for me to ensure I would have no contamination. I really appreciated this.

From there on out the service seemed to decline. One of our bags did not make it to island, it was delayed in Mahe. We soon realized my husband did not have his saline solution or contact case. We asked guest relations for assistance and they simply said "you will have to wait till tomorrow, the pharmacy in town is closed." I understand that this may be the case, however their response was cold and non-solution oriented. For a 4 or 5 star hotel, I truly expect they to show some compassion and at least act like they cared. Abby did follow up the following morning and ensured our bag was tracked and arrived promptly at the hotel.

When you would pass a staff member on the hotel grounds there was no greeting and they truly seemed bothered if you greeted them. The wait staff in the restaurant was not friendly and lacked a since of urgency or time, and would frequently forget to bring you something (coffee, wine, etc). I really felt like the staff is burnt out or not happy. Perhaps it is cultural La Digue as we found several of the locals to be unfriendly as well. We are world travelers and kind to others, and we did not experience this on the other islands. This service experience is truly unfortunate, especially for a property that excels in physical beauty and food. Based on the service, I would not recommend L'Orangeraie.

Room Tip: We booked a villa de charme, it was absolutely beautiful. My favorite part was the amazing outside...
2  Thank Spindygirl
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Just spent 8 enjoyable days at the hotel. On arrival, we got an upgrade from the smaller garden villa that we had booked to a larger villa de charme. These are built around palm trees in the jungle on the hill, the evenings and mornings on the balconies are unforgettable, with birds and fruit bats flying above you between the trees. The outdoor bathroom/showers are terrific, although we found the rooms a bit too dark. The golf cart staff was very friendly and quick to arrive, although most of the time I chose to walk. The lady at the information desk helped us twice to rent a car for a day trip to Praslin. The bar and cocktails deck staff was very friendly too, the service was quick. The infinity swimming pool is excellent. For a nice change, it’s not one of those shallow bright blue pools that give you 10 meters to swim and 15 meters to stand. This one is deep enough and large enough to actually enjoy a swim. The breakfast buffet is one of the most extensive that we have come across in similar hotels.
This is not a beach hotel, rather a waterfront hotel. There is a small stretch of sand next to the pool/bar area but the see is shallow and we did not see anyone spending much time there. But in the end this may be for the better, gives the hotel a nice compact on-the-cliff feel. Besides, La Dique has many nice and simply breathtaking beaches and they are most definitely worth the bike ride.

We stayed on a B&B basis, so we went to the a la carte restaurant for dinner a couple of times. Fish and sea food are excellent, meat is questionable, as pork and chicken seem to get the same amount of cooking time as fish, so I would not recommend those. The wine is unreasonably expensive. A basic South African white single grape twist off bottle starts at around $45. Half bottle Sancerre - $85! Mercifully, local rum saves the day (and wallet).

Oddly, there does not seem to be (or we did not figure out) a simple evening meal option. The bar will not offer any food or snack after 6pm. You either pay a full entry buffet price per person or pick from a choice of gourmet options at the a la carte restaurant. And unlike the wide choice of wonderful beaches during the day, La Digue has a limited choice of dinner options.
The bikes are free but bad. You should really hate you child to put her on the rusty piece of junk that the hotel calls a kid’s bike. The chains and gears on other bikes are also rusty, brakes and wheels are very noisy, some pedals are bent to the point of kicking your foot off the pedal. The bike garage staff either lacks any will to work or does not have any tools to work with and decided not to bother at all.

Overall, a great hotel on a very special island.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Alex B
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We came on april 2010 , and we decided to come back because our stay was amazing. Once again we were not disappointed, the staff and management of the hotel gave us a wonderful stay. The little touches, the service, the pool and the style of the room. Never two without three, we'll be back .

1  Thank Laura2001
Reviewed May 22, 2014

This hotel really struggled to meet expectations from that of its Mahe equivalents, which it really shouldn't have... The setting, pool and rooms are beautiful, we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Jacuzzi room set in the hill s and it was amazing... with an outside bathroom and decor that was incredible.

The Problems start with the staff - they are rude, unhelpful and pretty much miserable at all times! Shocking when you come from Le Constance Ephilia on Mahe where the staff couldn't be more friendly..

The Buffet food during dinner and breakfast way way below parr - cold and pretty limited in section if you dont like the theme they have on!!!! I did actually feel for one of the chefs who was cooking eggs and was boiling behind there with no sign of help! Really poor! Also £4 for a bottle of water... ha! what a cheek... we bought our own one night and got told off by the staff!!!! Just shocking...

Now my last complaint here was the bikes - which are very poorly maintained and honestly a deathtrap waiting to happen... Just make sure you get a good one before going out...

Lastly the aircon in the rooms is highly ineffective - but hey its the Seychelles! and its HOT

Now I am a fair man - so I score it average as the rooms and setting were impressive, but the service and food was so apauling I simply cant score it any higher - Disappointing!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Awanderingmemory
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Since booking a few months ago the reviews have been a bit worrying but management has obviously listened. Only one minor problem with very slow check-in, diffident female staff made no effort to explain. Once staff member Ishan did so and apologised we were fine- the complimentary drink offer was very kind and settled the aggravation.
Now, the good stuff. This is a beautifully trendily designed hotel with a fabulous position- the bar, pool and restaurants have a wonderful review. Stayed in Villa Charm Elegance- huge area with jacuzzi- a bit dark as mentioned by other reviewer (good bedside lamps) but otherwise gorgeous-221 is up against granite walls and is very big up- made good use of the buggies.
Breakfast average but nice freshly cooked noodles at the buffet for dinner. The a la carte was better- very fresh salad. Ordered the seafood platter (by 4 pm)- plenty for two people and the best lobster we've ever had. Service good.
Hired a tandem bike at the jetty and pedalled to Grande Anse and then over the top of the island- much under rated road and beaches this way. Source Argent beach a bit over rated- too many people compared to the more remote ones.
Lovely anniversary fruit and champagne- nice touch.
Someone is obviously responding to the reviews and quickly. The hotel gets my top recommendation...

Room Tip: rooms with jacuzzi expensive but incredibly spacious
1  Thank lisavanessa
Reviewed May 4, 2014

First I need to start off with the positives because this truthfully isn't a biased review of any sort. Firstly, the island of La Digue - exceptional! Mind blowing! A real beauty! Beaches are surreal and award winning. Then there is the Hotel, Le Domaine de l'Orangeraie - a thorn amongst the roses, an absolute death trap.

On arrival at the hotel, everything seems grand with a marvelous entrance and modern architectural design. Our smiles of awe and awsomeness soon turned into a frown of doom and gloom, which pretty much lasted throughout our stay. The welcoming hostess had a huge chip on her shoulder. She gave us a very brief and cold welcoming and any other questions raised by us was followed by a huff and puff like the big bad wolf. Any requests were a huge inconvenience for her to to follow, let alone answer if they were even possible. Luggage took forever to arrive from the dock. Isn't first impression always the last? In this case, definitely yes.

Rooms on the other hand are to die for, outside showers and private villas had everything you could need, but be carful how you use your bath towel because you only get one each throughout your stay. Maybe shower half your body the one night and the other half another night so you can save damp space on the towels?

As for the restaurant, this is an area to avoid at all costs, not in terms of the food, but it's service. On one event : "sorry sir, you can't come in, lunch is only served at 12.30pm", time check 12.28pm... Are you serious!? Once allowed in 2 minutes later we were moved several times, as we were told you can't eat by the pool, you can't eat at the bar and so on. When we were seated in an area we didn't like, another waiter brings a gentleman a yummy burger and chips at the bar and another tourist a salad by the pool. Hmmm...favoritism? Or just poor un synchronized management and shocking service.

Dinner is were I finish off this review and is the main reason for giving this hotel such a terrible review. On arrival, waiting to be seated I felt like I was back in school again "sorry sir, no slops or shorts above the knee, you can't come in" Instead of getting angry, knowing this is a beach resort, I sucked in my pride and headed back to my room which is a tiresome walk up the hill where you have to catch a golf cart, leaving my partner alone at the restaurant. Once I was finally seated a family of 7 were seated and how were the dressed? Sarongs, shorts and slops. Funny that, how dare they be dressed like that, coming from the beach.

Again, poor management each one with there own set of different rules. We started off by ordering wine that was off and smelt like vinegar. Corked wine, sour staff, it was time leave, so we left without even ordering food and ventured into the village were the locals welcomed us humbly with fantastic wines and homemade cooking.

The next day we decided to shorten our stay, we checked out earlier than arranged coming back to Mahe island were hotels are grateful for your business and we once felt we were back on holiday and not school detention.

Honestly, this hotel does not do the island justice, stern warning!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Le Domaine de La Reserve
Le Domaine de La Reserve
#4 of 11 in Anse Volbert
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suites
Coco de Mer - Black Parrot Suite...
#1 of 1 in Anse Bois de Rose
Le Duc de Praslin
Le Duc de Praslin
#3 of 11 in Anse Volbert

Been to Le Domaine de L'Orangeraie Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!