“Chateau St. Cloud”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in La Digue Island
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Chateau St. Cloud”
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Our room had beautiful stained glass windows and was very spacious. The bathroom was huge and well appointed.

Room Tip: We were in the original building, close to the office, first floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2011

I recently stayed on La Digue in this place booked by my travel agent. I was travelling with my 80 year old Dad and I wanted the places we stayed to be clean, comfortable, and safe. We were travelling on a budget and I new I could not afford the most expensive place on the island. I read the reviews on Trip Adviser and I was worried that some reviews called it fantastic and some the worst. I didn't understand that. I called my travel agent and asked about the property. She said she had people stay there before and they had been very happy. Not to worry. Well I still worried. But I found Chateau St. Cloud to be lovely. The manager was attentive and helpful. She put my Dad and his girlfriend in a lovely room in the plantation manager. It's decorations and furnishings were top notch. My boyfriend and I stayed in a bungalow that was perfect. We couldn't have been happier. The bicycles for rent on the property are much cheaper than down by the pier. The Hotel was just far enough from downtown to be out of the bustle. The bike ride was not difficult. The gardens, the pool area and the restaurant have so many interesting and beautiful pieces of art that it can be a little overwhelming. If I had a recommendation for this property, it would be that they find a single theme in each area for their decorations. Just one more note. While I was near reception, I heard a couple check in for their 20th anniversary. I overheard the owner/manager say, "I know your have booked for a standard room, but I understand it is your anniversary. I have taken the liberty to upgrade you to a bungalow up on the hill with a view." I was soooo impressed. Please don't be worried about this property. It is obvious to me that the negative reviews were trying to sabotage this nice lodging inappropriately.

Room Tip: Either the rooms in the plantation or the bungalows were very very nice. The plantation rooms were...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Didn't know what to expect, a bit confused by the descriptions, but totally delighted by this jewel of a hotel on laid back La Digue Island. They have a variety of rooms, some around the pool, some for double occupancy, some for families of four, some elevated above the rest with a view over the tropical forest and into the sunset, also some in the original plantation building from the 1830's(the 'chateau'). Most have a veranda, or an inside seating area (you can lounge at the pool...) All are decorated with traditional colonial style: simplicity and dark woods, decorated with an abundance of tropical artwork and handcrafts.
Madame Mills runs the whole operation like a jolly mother superior running a tropical convent. Shes's the 6th generation of the family to run the property, 7th and 8th are already in action. The rooms are immaculately clean. The showers work- hot and cold! As does the AC and the fans: you pick! They provide cable TV, and a couple of good movies stations. Good beds & pillows. The gardens are small and manicured beyond belief - there was a guy there raking leaves every morning, and we saw another one walking around pruning the orchids with scissors. The pool was clean and has a small waterfall, a refreshing stopover after getting back from the beaches and the bike ride. They rent bikes in an almost comical chalpinesque manner: When you get a bike assigned and adjusted, get on it and stay on it. Bikes parked around the hotel are casually and quickly reassigned to the next ministrant.... The first day we were panicked that our bikes were gone - orderly little Swiss, us. Nobody panics at Chateau St. Cloud. They just looked around and randomly pulled out 2 bikes and gave those to us. This ritual is repeated each morning until all the bikes and all the tourists are out on the road. They also told us that nobody steals bikes ("We need bike locks." "No, you don't.") which we found in 5 days to be correct, everywhere on the island, except inside the hotel!! That was a good morning grin.
The food is excellent, elevated, refined. You need to be aware that La Digue doesn't really have the full spectrum of fresh produce. After a week in the Seychelles, you may be dying for a fresh salad. What you can get is papaya or mango salad, green tomato salad or coleslaw. The kitchen at St. Cloud creates marvels out of their local supplies. And breakfast is an absolute feast. Most of the bad news about bad breakfasts at Seychelles B&B's is accurate. But St. Cloud is a marvel with eggs & omellettes any way you want them, and a delightful chef making them. Even porridge for those in need of that. The highlight were the fresh croissants every morning: I suggest you run it through their toaster for a fresh hot croissant: excellent! Also very good coconut cookies (My honey's favorite!). And a plateful of fresh apples (and other fruits). Take an apple with you for the beach, you'll be so glad you did.
I definitely suggest HB: It's a great deal, the food is excellent, and elsewhere not so special.
Sometimes, you might get a last minute offer, or can extend your stay: we did from 2 to 4 days, and hated to leave.
Due to low tides at daytime (while we were there), the best beaches were grande and petite anse and anse cocos, on the SE side of the island. A ten minute bike ride to grand anse, with a small 'restaurant' limited offerings (food 12-14:30), but drinks until 17. If you traipse over the hills to petite anse or cocos, take at least a liter of water with you.
Chateau St. Cloud was the peaceful highlight of the Seychelles, the perfect combination of nature all around, some activity and hiking, and still the stylish but unpretentious comforts of the St. Cloud. The friendly staff is reserved but helpful, and did everything to make our stay perfect, we thank them, and the reverend mother! P.S. Regarding inter-island boats: best to METICULOUSLY check the schedule, which changes constantly: You could get surprised by an empty pier at the announced departure time...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RobPasc
Seychelles
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My partner and I recently travelled to the Seychelles for a 3 week break / wedding recon mission.

Having been to the Seychelles once before and having already explored most of the islands, we decided to spend the majority of our time on our favorite island, La Digue (we love the relaxed atmosphere,the AMAZING beaches and the friendliness of the locals)!

As we were looking at possible wedding venues we decided to stay at the grand Chateau St Cloud as we had heard they had expanded their restaurant and added some new hillside chalets (which we booked - very romantic!)

In short we were so impressed with the Chateau we extended our week long booking to our full three week stay! I think we have found our future wedding venue too!!!!! *fingers crossed*

The poolside rooms, hillside chalets and grand deluxe Chateau rooms are all beautifully decorated, modern, well equipped and clean! Being in the centre of the island the hotel is very quite at night whilst close enough to the hustle and bustle of town!

The staff at Chateau St Cloud are all lovely, friendly and very helpful - we love Myriam, Lisa and their family!

I know I'm writing a essay but i still have so much more to say... so just bear with me!

Iit has to be said the food here is AMAZING - so so tasty! We did try a few other places on the island but the buffet here has to be one of the best! Grilled fish, octopus curry a must try!

Oh and how can I forget to pool and the waterfall/fountain - a welcoming relief from the hot sunny days!

Ok well i think thats enough of an essay from me! Thank you all at Chateau for an amazing and memorable stay :) we will definitely be back and will be in touch about our wedding!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank SeyStu
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 23, 2011

On our family trip and holiday to Seychelles we decided to hop over to La Digue for a quick getaway the two of us, we stayed 3 days, and found the hotel to be first class, the room was beautiful, the service and staff very nice and courteous. We had bed & breakfast and found the breakfast buffet to be superb. The dinner buffet was excellent such a variety of food to suit everyone's taste and the menu was available if you didn't want the buffet. Beautiful garden around all the chalets. Thanks to Miriam and all the staff as we really enjoyed ourselves and look forward to stay again in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room by the pool No 9, very quiet
Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Myriam33364
berlin
Reviewed September 10, 2011

la digue is admittedly the island which attracts self catering visitors and tourists on a smaller budget.

however, the expereince with CHATEAU ST. CLOUD was frustrating and horrible. First, the hotel is in older guides described as friendly and family run. However, it has been extended. it is today a mass accomodation with non-service, loudish music overshadowing every meal. the owner is unfriendy, the service non-existant, the food bad and gone after the first hour of opening the buffet. all this accompanied with high prices. i moved out after one night and would have done so right away, had i not arrived late evening.

Room Tip: stay away from the place!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank albert m
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 5, 2011

This is our third stay at Chateau St Cloud in the past 12 years. We have always had a fantastic holiday there but since our last trip 6 years ago the place has changed dramatically and for the better!
The rooms range from massive rooms in the rebuilt plantation house to large poolside rooms, to hillside stilted chalets. We stayed in a plantation house room which had a large bathroom with enormous shower and separate bath, flat screen tv, good air con and fans too. There was a fridge and safe.
We stayed on a half board basis. Breakfasts were excellent with freshly cooked bacon and eggs, fruit, pancakes, waffles, local sweet porridge with vanilla (scrumptious!).
Creole buffets with live entertainment were three times a week and other nights a good four course dinner was offered.
We had several lunches by the pool which were great value- the octopus curry being especially good.
The giant tortoise enclosure has been moved and we enjoyed feeding them and listening to their afternoon antics!!
The gardens and grounds are beautiful with lush vegetation. Stone bowls filled with flower heads are dotted around and look great.
The owner, Miryam makes everyone feel like part of the family and the staff are happy and helpful.
Can't wait to return soon!

• Stayed August 2011
#7 of 7 in La Digue Island
Le Duc de Praslin
Le Duc de Praslin
#4 of 12 in Anse Volbert

Been to Chateau St Cloud? Share your experiences!