“Right on the beach-- Excellent customer service and food”

La Digue Island Lodge
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in La Digue Island
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I stayed at a local pension and yet spent most of our time at La Digue Island lodge-- in their pool, patio, massage parlor and restaurant. We were welcomed like we were hotel guests and wish we had booked there. The grilled jumbo prawns and mixed seafood grill, as well as the octopus salad, were the best we have had ANYWHERE. The location is good and the view of the beach and surrounding islands was amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank steff0566

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Was there in February this year and had a really wonderful experience. The staff was friendly, accommodation (yellow house) to my expectations as well as the facilities. The rooms are a little small but who spends the entire day in a hotel room / house when you have the option to explore the island and everything it has to offer. La Digue and La Digue Island Lodge will see me again in the near future.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HendrikdeWet
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went there at the end of May (a bit too late, the sea was getting rough).

We only had a problem at check-out. They were trying to charge us for water from the minibar however we didn't use any, we have only moved things around to put our own things. They insisted we had used water. At the end we didn't have to pay but they were talking to us like we were liars. If it wasn't for this problem at the end, I would have given 5 stars to this review.

We booked the garden chalet, the cheapest option I think, we are glad we didn't go for the beach chalet as both the beach and the garden chalets are very close to the beach. It's a very cute accomodation, very simple inside (a bit like a 3 star rather then a 4 star), the cleaner decorated the bed every day in a different way using lovely flowers.
If you are a group of staying in the same wee house bear in mind that the extra bed is a bit high, you have to climb a ladder to go there, it wouldn't be safe for children I believe.

The strong point of this hotel is the restaurant, it's right a the sea, on the sand, it was beatiful, characteristic and romantic. If it rains they have tables under a wooden roof, still on the sand. Every night there was a different fixed menu, on one night they organized a buffet. For the fixed menus the quantity was right and sometimes they ask you if you would like more of something. We were half board and here we tried several typical dishes.
I'm intolerant to gluten and the staff has always been super-helpful regarding this, and the staff communicated well as they were aware of my needs. I asked to the restaurant manager if he could organize to make something for breakfast especially for me with a special flour I brought with me (as I can't eat ordinary flour) and the cook made me a CAKE and a BREAD just for me. The staff was storing and serving it to me every day. They were lovely too. A special thanks to them.
Nobody seemed to know we were on honeymoon, as we were offered something on another hotel in Praslin, but we had a lovely time anyway.

We have booked a snorkeling excursion trough them and I have really enjoined that. My husband didn't enjoined as much because he's a bit shortsighted. If you have the same problem make sure you bring your powered mask (or glue lenses on a normal mask) as it's definitely worth it.

The hotel is on a lovely beach, though the water is a bit shallow.

I missed this hotel when we went to the next hotel in Mahe as it wasn't great.
Pity we had that problem at the end of our stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank antheablu
Reviewed October 15, 2012

during our stay on la digue's island lodge we stayed in a really sweet and romantic little yellow house in this hotel. although i wouldn't recommend the really really steep stairway to elderly visitor it was just perfect to us. the rooms are rather small in this little house, but it's more about the atmosphere. maybe somebody find a solution how to manage to keep the cool AC air in the upper floor - otherwise it is going to be rather hot in the room...but anyway...great stay...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doraemonPEK
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Take the standard cheap rooms in the complex behind the hotel - but get hold for all the facilities the hotel provides, including the pool and dinner.

The hotel has lots of pros - location etc.
The dinner is held near the beach - very romantic
The pool is nice
Bottom line - Best value

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nkatzir
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This was the best place I have ever stayed as a solo traveller.. though it would be really idyllically romantic for a couple. The staff were so friendly, kind, smiling and helpful. They recognised and welcomed me as a returning guest and even upgraded me into one of the beautiful chalets which are often for honeymoon couples! Also at dinner, even though I was alone they gave me a super table in a prime position right next to the sea..heaven! The food was very good, with a lot of choice from the carefully prepared and fresh buffet. The fresh fish was delicious. I particularly like this hotel because it is one of the original hotels so has a very nice 'older' island character. It is in an excellent position on the beautiful white sand beach, and the chalets are dispersed among a beautiful rich botanical garden. The place is perfectly situated for swimming, walking, cycling and is within waliking distance of the port and the shops. Also nearby is the incredibly beautiful Anse d'Argente, with its transparent sea and bold granitic rocks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank wa1n_gar0_12
Reviewed August 6, 2012

The location of this hotel is wonderful. We arrived from a stay at the Sainte Anne Resort and the hotel is not in the same five star league but its location is absolutely wonderful. The rooms are individual chalets and are comfortable and well equipped. The hotel has its own beach which is nice but you are within a bike's ride of some of the most beautiful beaches in the world (bikes being the main form of transport around the island).

The only letdown was the restuarant which was OK but after the wonderful food at Sainte Anne wasn't in the same league.

If you want glamour and to be with the Conde Naste crowd there are other more glitzy places to stay on the island. However, I thought this hotel suited the atmosphere of the island better than these places.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 7 in La Digue Island
Hotel L'Ocean
Hotel L'Ocean
#7 of 7 in La Digue Island

Been to La Digue Island Lodge? Share your experiences!