“Best place in Seychelles”
Review of Island Bungalow

Island Bungalow
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Me and my wife have been traveling in Seychelles in August and we love those islands. Mahe was great,Praslin better but La Digue was the best,very quiet and beautiful island.Location of the Island Bungalows is perfect,close enough to shops and restaurants and very close to the beach.The bungalow is very clean and have everything you need for self catering (cooker , fridge and freezer ,microwave etc) and for comfortable holiday living. Fred and Marie Anne have been for us as a family and we cannot imagine better place for holidays.We highly recommend this place for nice people which are looking for stress free holidays,you don't even bother to read bad reviews because they come from people which shouldn't travel at all.
Mirek & Edyta

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mirek-Stotker

Reviewed May 19, 2013

We spent three wonderful weeks in March and April, the bungalows Island, La Digue Island. Supremely quiet and peaceful location, a 5-minute walk from the beautiful beach. The bungalow is fully equipped with air conditioning cooling, all of which should be self-sufficient, daily housekeeping impeccable, the terrace is wifi. Proprietor of Fred and his wife are very kind to help your every request. On several occasions, we are very tasty fruits, Fred angling organization, it was important for them to feel good. We've had a wonderful dinner with friends while watching the sunset, eternal memories! The harbor is also close to shops, you can hire bikes from them. This is the perfect bungalow on the island, capability, price is the best!! Per your request can get breakfast meal, very tasty!! Anyone recommend the best option! We investigated a half years all hotels in La Digue and very well chosen! Thank you for your friendship and we wish you all the best!! See you next year! Sincerely, Anita & Tibor

Room Tip: There are three sizes to choose from bungalow.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Island bungalows is very nice,new 2 apartments in 2 different bulidings. Owner Fred and his Wife are very kind and helpfull. They borrow us flashlight and umbrella. We have breakfast which include eggs,platter of fresh fruit-different every day,fresh juice,tea or cafe,tost bread,jam. If you need I'm sure that Fred let you use computer. We watched there Champions League.

Ask about room before reservations.We have room with bathroom,theres no kitchen,but other 2 apartments has it. It wasn't problem for us. Everything in room looks new and everyday they clean and put some fresh flowers.

Just 2 min walk from Anse Royale where you can see sunset.

Room Tip: every time in day there is a water.If you want hot remember about the button in room for it:)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amigoucieka
Reviewed April 26, 2013

-- I just enjoyed a delightful week on La Digue (April 2013) and am very glad that I stayed at Island Bungalow. There are two free-standing bungalows, well equipped for self-catering. There is also a smaller “apartment” on the other side of the owners’ house with one good-sized bedroom and a nice bathroom. The “apartment” has only a coffee maker and mini-refrigerator. All three accommodations are very clean, attractive and functional and there is daily maid service.
-- I stayed in the “apartment” and found the air conditioning to be easy to control and effective. The double bed was very comfortable (not too hard and not too soft) and the bathroom (shower, not bath) was modern, clean and fully functional. The guests in the bungalows were also very pleased by the quality of their accommodations.
The owners are a married couple, Fred and Mary Anne, who were both born and raised on La Digue and raised their own children on the island. They are excellent hosts and extremely knowledgeable. They can help with renting bicycles, arranging day trips by motor boat to nearby islands, doing laundry (a fee may be charged), etc. There is no wi-fi but Mary Anne let me use her computer to check my email each day. If you are travelling with heavy bags and let them know in advance, Fred will probably be able to leave his construction company and pick you up at the ferry landing with his small truck.
-- Meals are not included but most mornings I asked Mary Anne if an evening meal could be provided and the answer was always “Yes.” Sometimes it was prepared by her nephew and sometimes by her older sister Alda. The fish had been swimming earlier the same day and all were very tasty. I was also served pork with my first meal but asked to only have fish with my later meals since I can get pork at home. With the fish there was also rice (or chips) and vegetables and desert. The quality was very good and the portions more than I could eat. Dinner was served at an outdoor table under a thatched roof. Provide your own drinks. The price per person was 300 Rupees (20 Euros).
Snorkeling was my goal in the Seychelles and from Island Bungalow Anse Severe (the nearest beach) is only one minute downhill by bicycle. Fred warned me the first night that it can be hard to get out to the deeper water at low tide. He told me to enter the water near the rocks on the end of the beach closest to Island Bungalow, since the water is a little deeper by those rocks. I really liked Anse Severe and snorkeled there at least once a day (usually early in morning – before breakfast). I’ve snorkeled on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, in the Caribbean and in the Red Sea. Snorkeling in Seychelles is at least as good, if not better, than those places. One day some of the other Island Bungalow guests and I joined a boat trip to snorkel off the islands of Little Sister, Coco, and Felicite. They all had good snorkeling and each had some differences. They were well worth visiting but the snorkeling was really not any better than what you get at Anse Severe. However, it is easier to get in the water and snorkel from a boat than it is from a rocky shore.
-- Unlike at a resort, at Island Bungalow you can feel more of the La Digue way of life (while still being very comfortable and paying much less). If you are lucky, while having your fish dinner outdoors you may hear a mother comforting her softly crying child in a neighboring house across the dirt road, in the morning you might meet the nice dogs from another neighbor’s house, and during the heat of the day you may have attractive chickens from somewhere taking a dust bath near your patio. And you may also hear the beautiful singing of many voices if a funeral takes place at the truly lovely La Digue cemetery (see photo) which is only a hedge row away from Island Bungalow. In complete seriousness, these too are benefits of staying at Island Bungalow.
-- I hope to return to La Digue next year and Island Bungalow will be my first choice of accommodation.

Room Tip: You will be on vacation in a lovely part of Africa. Don't expect everything to be like it is at...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Safari-Mark-99
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Nice and clean rooms, confortable. A good place to move around the Island. I would recommend to spend at least 3 days in these island! Quiet and very close to Anse Severe, very good for snorkle, go to the rocks on the right side of the island and swim to the edge and next beach, beautifull corals growing in the granitic rocks. Good price also!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

When my boyfriend and I were planning our vacation, we were looking for a quiet place with lush tropical nature where we can relax and enjoy ourselves. We found exactly what we were looking for on La Digue. It was in October this year.

Island Bungalow is situated on the northwest side of the island, near the jetty and the Anse Severe Beach (just a few minutes walk).
The beach has natural shadows, white sand and the water in the ocean is crystal clear. Water temperature is around 27-28 C.
The thing is- there is a reef lying underneath the surface of the water which disables you to enter the ocean without shoe wear. It is good for snorkeling, so take your mask with you. A great variety of fishes and picturesque corals is what you can expect to see. First 200 m it is very shallow (around knees) and then at once becomes deep, so you should be very careful.
I had a little injury on my foot since I did not have a suitable foot wear for the mentioned conditions.
I have thought that if I have sent my mother to this beach, she would be very unhappy.

The hosts seem nice at first. They did not give us any guidelines about La Digue though.
Mary Anne was pretending to be very friendly and welcoming at the beginning, but as soon as we didn't accept her dinner invitation, she completely stopped to communicate with us. Dinner price she offered was high even with comparison to restaurant prices.

But all in all creole people are very nice, smiling and welcoming.

The bungalow was fine for two, the only remark I would give to the fact that the dishes were put on an open shelf, I once saw a lizard going through all of the dishes, so I had to wash every single dish before usage.

Internet was not reliable, but we did not mind since we went there for a vacation.

Other beach like Source D'Argent was picturesque, but also very shallow. I lot of weeds underneath the water, which can be seen from the variety of photos taken on this beach.
Grand Anse, Petite Anse and Anse Coco have strong currents this time of the year, so not very suitable for swimming.

My vacation was marvelous, I just wanted to point out facts that I consider important when making a decision for a holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Island Bungalows for 5 nights. La Digue was our first island on our trip - so we had nothing to compare. Island Bungalows are highly recommended by us. Clean and nice equipped bungalows and a friendly staff will make your stay very comfortable. The location is really perfect. 2 minutes by foot to the nice Anse Severe. The beach is good for swimming (even at low tide) and for snorkelling. From our point of view the best beach on La Digue (even compared with Anse Source D'Argent :-)). Bicycles are available for 100 rupess at the guesthouse. Island Bungalow was the best place we have been during our 2 weeks trip this year.
THANKS a lot to Mary-Anne, Fred and Jamelia for a very nice stay on La Digue - our stay at your place and the dinner in the evening will be in our mind for a long time !!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
La Digue Self-Catering Apartments
Oceane Self Catering
Oceane Self Catering
#4 of 18 in La Passe

Been to Island Bungalow? Share your experiences!