“Annual Christmas luncheon ”

Zum Stammtisch Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 61 Restaurants in Glendale
Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 16, 2018 via mobile

My family and I have been fans of this establishment for 40 years and now continue the tradition with a third generation.
Our annual Christmas luncheon was a great success. The food and service are excellent and have been consistent for all the years we have going there.
The goulash soup is terrific and loved the large pretzel appetizer with dipping mustards.
Although I’ve tasted and enjoyed everything on the menu, my favorite is the Jagerschnitzel, large breaded veal cutlet on a bed of German potato salad and with a delicious brown mushroom gravy.
Topping of a wonderful lunch with warm apple strudel with vanilla ice cream.

Date of visit: December 2018

Reviewed December 5, 2018

Let me start off by Saying I am German, I grew up eating German food. I ate occasionally sausages and pretzels but unlike most people today I considered that stuff American food. A nice lunch for me would be ochsenmaulsalat, dinner might be schweinshaxe. I’m not trying to impress you I’m trying to say that I am very familiar with how traditional German food should be having grown up with it.

Zumstamtich is how German food should be. Yes I would prefer their sauerbraten much more sour but I don’t think most Americans would enjoy that so I understand why it isn’t.

The food is always excellent and their ability to provide a consistent product always amazes me.

I’ve been reading the few poor reviews trying to figure out why everyone isn’t thrilled with this restaurant. As it is the last true German resturant in NYC and one of maybe two dozen left in the country, and I love German food it behooves me to ensure it does well and people who visit have the right expectation. Here are the do’s and don’ts to eating German style along with some expectations you might want to know going in.

1) If you are unadventurous and don’t like meat focused dishes this may not be the place for you. As sad as it is to say if you look at the menu in advance of going and say to yourself “I think I’ll have the hamburger” don’t bother going.

2) A nice appetizer is a salad, German salads are sometimes made of meat. Yes you heard that correctly, sure we have salads which are made of vegetables but meat salads are quite good. Try the sulzesalat or ochsenmaulsalat if they have it. The meat is usually served in a meaty gelatin which is soft and full of flavor. The French would call this an aspic. Don’t knock it till you try it. A very sour vinaigrette is served over the top which adds a nice bright flavor to the meat. If you don’t enjoy sour foods perhaps this isn’t for you.

3) German soups are very different from American soups and if you don’t know what you are ordering you will be disappointed. An American soup will almost always have pieces of vegetables and meat floating in the soup. German soups will have a similar broth but no pieces of vegetables or meat floating in them, or very few. German soups tend to have a broth thicker then water with a nice smooth texture but don’t expect your soup full of ham, beef chucks, potatoe, or noodles. For Germans the broth is the soup.

4) Red Cabbage should smell so sour that if you take a big whiff of it you will be forced to cough. This is how German people like it. The point of going to a German resturant is to try a new cuisine and experience a new culture. Saying the red cabbage is too sour and was bad is like going to a Japanese resturant and saying the sushi had raw fish in it and was therefor bad. Once more many German dishes are sour. If you hate sour foods there is still plenty you can enjoy but you should be aware of this.

5) German people can be very exacting and direct. These aren’t the best traits for a waiter but that doesn’t mean they don’t want you to enjoy your meal. If something is wrong or you need something give a wave. If you say the red cabbage is too sour there isn’t much they can do but you can ask them to help you go through the menu when you order. You might say you don’t like sour and don’t like gravy. I’m certain the waitress would find something good that met those criteria very quickly (With German efficiency).

6) Potato dumplings come in two kinds. The raw ground potato formed into a ball and then cooked, or cooked potatos formed into a ball and cooked some more. The second kind is more difficult to make and what Zumstamtich sells. It is a delicacy for those who realize how much effort goes into making them. The interior of the ball is quite dry, this is prefered. Many Germans place a crouton in the middle to make it even dryer, Zumstamtich doesn’t which is good because it probably wouldn't be appreciated by the average guest. Why is it dry inside? To soak up the sauce of course. Cut the ball in smaller peices and use it to soak up as much sauce as possible. Try to eat it without sauce and that will be one dry mouth!

The best meal at Zumstamtich is an appetizer of sulzesalat, the jagerschnitzel, a side order of potato dumplings with sauerbraten gravy, and a slice of Black Forrest Cake (Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte). Have a nice wheat bear and enjoy a unique experience.

Side note my favorite review for Zumstamtich is “I don’t like German food, I never have, I don’t eat meat or like graveys, I went to Zumstamtich and didn’t like it zero stars”.

FYI you are allowed to share your plate if your companion doesn’t order an entrée, but there will be a plate charge. Do yourself a favor order a second different entrée and take it home if you don’t think you finish it. It will be delicious after a day in the fridge.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed November 25, 2018 via mobile

One of the best restaurants I’ve ever eaten at. Been here a bunch of times and each time the food is phenomenal. The atmosphere is adorable. The goulash soup and Jagersnitzel are both must haves. Beer flight was huge and delicious. Warm apple streudel alla mode for dessert was to die for. This place is the best!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed November 21, 2018

We've never been to Zum Stammtisch and had a bad experience. The food is always on the money and I only wish I could get there more often!!! The last time we went, my husband and I shared the steak tartar appetizer........delicious. I went on to have a bowl of the goulash soup and a side of plain spaetzle. I can't get enough of either! My husband had the jagerschnitzel and again, it was fantastic. We love this restaurant and would recommend it to anyone interested in having good German food!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed November 1, 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately on this visit they did not have loin of pork so my mom was very disappointed The sauerbraten was Ok as was the wienersnichel. We were. A party of seven so we made reservations and were seated immediately Service wasn't as good as it usually is. One entree was forgotten so that person had to wait for it to be made. Portions are large so most of us took home leftovers

Date of visit: November 2018