“Nice dining”

Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The food was good. I was lucky to be there on a night where they had delicious split pea soup! Yum! Their chicken schnitzel was more so so for me but my parents prime rib was a winner. They had a nice selections of beers which was really good as I am new to beer. Overall a nice night out.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

When you enter Zum Stammtisch from the busy, noisy, urban Queens Street, your eyes adjust to the "dark", and then the delightful time and place warp begins: the mixed aroma of beer and simmering German food, some folks muttering in "Deutsch" (don't hear that much in USA these days); background um pah music, Austro-German a decor (antlers, old pictures, German flags, frosted diagonal paned windows-- etc.). We went on a Sunday at noon and had no service problems at all-- to the contrary, the pleasant waitress (in a dirndl) gave pleasant and prompt service, calling my teenage sons "Sweetie" but me "Schatzi", all with a certain New Yawk drawl and friendly twinkle. All of which left a little confused: Am I in Queens or Bavaria? In a sense, Zum Stammtisch offers the best of both. Go with an appetite and enjoy their large portions. The Jagerschnitzel is great, and the Deutcher Salat a nice warm up, with a lager on the side rounding things out.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I like German food. To be fair, the food here was very good which is the only reason why I didn't rate this place any lower. However, the service was abysmal. Now I am not a snob by any means. I'm not at a restaurant to take long walks on the beach with the staff. Bring me food, be as polite to me as I always am to the staff (Watch the movie "Road Trip" if you have any plans on being rude to the waiter) and that is it. Let me start at the beginning.

My father was visiting me and I wanted to take him somewhere different to eat and I thought of this place. I had been here before and the restaurant, although cold for the middle of winter, made excellent food. I figured it shouldn't be cold in the spring so here we are. Firstly, the hostess acted as if she would have rather been somewhere else. Ok. I get it. She didn't win the lottery but at least pretend you are kind of happy to see us. If anything, look at us as two potential paychecks. Again, I didn't expect a backrub but you don't have to look like I peed in your cornflakes.

Whatever, moving on. I decided to order the schnitzel special. I came with goulash soup, jaeger schnitzel (I got the pork) a side of potato salad and for desert rice pudding. All absolutely delicious. My father got the soup, the knockwurst and bratwurst which came with a side of potatoes and sauerkraut as well as rice pudding for desert. We both just had soda to drink. Again, the food is good. That said, they bring my soup out, but not my father's. I waited to see if anyone picked up on that but they didn't. I had to ask where his soup was and they finally brought it out. No apology, no nothing. Whatever. Anyways, we were done and the waitress cleaned up. Now when I say cleaned up, I mean spill my father's soda all over his lap. My father was fuming, but too polite to say anything. We did get an apology and napkins, but that was it. They should have at least given us free drinks, or something. If they didn't want to give anything, I would have been satisfied if they had offered to pick up the tab for the cleaning of his pants. Nothing. Then, I asked for another coke. The one they brought out looked like iced tea. I drank it and it was horrible. Turns out their soda machine crapped out. What upset me was either they weren't paying attention OR they were trying to pawn off this soda on me. I told them to please bring me another one and it took them about 15 minutes to bring me another one. They could have offered me another choice but didn't, and I had to flag down staff for this. They finally brought me a soda, but the damage was already done. I feel the staff wasn't friendly, didn't want to be there, and didn't care about it's customers. That's ok. Living in NYC, there are plenty of choices for restaurants. It's just that this one will not be one of them anymore.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just had dinner here again tonight, I have been going for years. The food has always been good. Have the Jagershnitzel its the best I have ever had. The atmosphere is very german but the rugs are starting to look a little worn and its time to spruce it up a bit !!! Soon it will start to look dirty which will not be good .

1  Thank KCfromKCNY
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Love this restaurant, all of the Austrian-German food is beyond compare. If you are ever in the Glendale area, and have a desire for German food, visit Zum Stammtisch located on Myrtle Ave in Glendale Queens. Insde the restaurant the decor is like you are eating in Germany and the atmosphere is great. The waitresses are as authentic as visiting the European Country.
Don't pass up an oppurtunity to enjoy some great food.