“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: Austrian, German, Swiss
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Portions are always hearty, but I left the restaurant very disappointed. We've been patronizing Zum Stammtisch for many years and up until now, we found the food to be very tasty. The red cabbage smelled delicious when we entered the restaurant, so decided to have the Sauerbraten. It tasted disappointingly like overcooked pot roast with sauerbraten gravy and the potato dumplings had more filler than potato and were completely tasteless. It was very disappointing meal and we definitely expected better fare.

The waitresses worked hard, but had the personalities of straw. Found them to be polite and efficient, but they ought to work on their people skills ... smiling at the customers and making them feel welcome might be a good start.

The ambiance of the place is still one of the most authentic German experiences in NYC.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We were in Glendale to meet up with friends so our party of six decided to try Zum's. The area had been known for excellent German and Bavarian cuisine, but with the ethnic changes in Queens there have been fewer such restaurants. Typical to many NYC restaurants, Zum did not have parking so you have to find street parking. The best choice is the side streets since the main streets have one hour time limits.

We were quite pleased with the the restaurant. Service was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Most of us ordered the same thing, the three sausage entree which was excellent. The accompanying potato salad was excellent, also, and most surprising so was the sauerkraut. I am not a sauerkraut fan, but I found Zum's to be outstanding. Portions are good size and will satisfy you.

The only reason I gave this restaurant 4 stars instead of five is that most of us ordered the same thing so I can't give a broader feedback on the menu. I definitely would return. By the way, it was was relatively cheap for a city restaurant. Our bill, without tip, only came to $120 for 6 people.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

for any of you reading this living in NY, particularly the 5 boros let me clue you in on a culinary cultural food experience. i grew up in the area near this restaurant and i have always taken for granted how good it is. there is german food, there is bavarian food and then there is ZUM's as we affectionately call it. when you pass through the interior swining doors you ARE in Choimany as the brooklyn affecianados pronounce it.

there is nothing bad on the menu. nothing. However, there is one reason to eat here above all German bistros. the Jaegerschnitzle. veal cooked to perfection smothered in a hunters sauce that even makes the huge moose head on the wall smile.

i admit it, i'm a Jaegerschnitzle snob. i have tried it in countless places and there is no comparison. even german folks visiting from germany say that. the portion covers the whole plate hiding your garden fresh veggies and hot german scalloped potatoes.

i have made many converts of friend and family over the years, chalk up another one today. a co worker...he will be back with his family. so prosit and finish it off with some black forest cake and schnaaps

Reviewed January 22, 2013

This place needs a complete overhaulling - the food is average. I don't know why people even travel to this place. Bathrooms and carpeting are filthy. For good German food make the trip to Rolfs - same price.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Well, I think that's how it's spelled--I'm only part German, but this place harks back to a time when Western Queens was solidly German and Irish, at least in spots, including the spots I was born and raised in. Glendale is a more typical contemporary ethnic patchwork now, but "Zumi's" hangs on as a cheerful relic of another time, a survivor when other well-loved German places like Triangle Hofbrau in Richmond Hill have long disappeared along with those who loved them. We come here by hallowed tradition every New Year's Day, when the place is wildly festive on top of its usual corny/classic Teutonic vibe (even the stuffed boar's head high atop a half-timbered wall is wearing a Santa hat). We order the smoked trout appetizer, the huge glass of refreshing "cloudy" Weissbeer, the sauerbraten or goose, and for dessert, the "Ice Bear" (well, that's how it sounds, not how it's spelled--it's vanilla ice cream and honey liqueur and it's heavenly). The waitresses are tough blond middle-aged ladies in dirndls and take nice care of you and the delicious food never varies. I keep meaning to try the wurst platter, but can't tear myself away from the sauerbraten. Have tried the Jagerschnitzel, it's okay; they also do a good basic steak for those less than enchanted by German chow. Prices are not cheap, but not absurd. Parking is tight on the sidestreets along Myrtle Avenue, but the surrounding area is safe and easily accessed off the Myrtle/Forest Park exit of the Interboro. I call it the Interboro...because I'm old enough to remember Germans in Queens and to love Zum Stammtisch!