“Worst hibachi experience ever!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shiro Of Japan

Shiro Of Japan
Reserve with OpenTable
Shiro Of Japan is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 42 Restaurants in Glendale
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian, Sushi
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 80th St
Description: Shiro of Japan has the reputation for providing patrons with an exceptional and authentic Japanese dining experience at affordable prices. The restaurant has more than a thirty year tradition of setting dining trends and providing exceptional service. Shiro of Japan was founded on the tradition of “true” Japanese hibachi steak house, a concept that introduced America to the cooking art form known as teppanyaki. In Japanese, teppan means an “iron plate” or a “steel sheet,” and yaki, “stir-fried food” or “stir-frying.” The teppanyaki and hibachi styles, come together to create a mouth-watering form of cuisine that continues to increase in popularity in the New York region and across the nation. Note, when making an online reservation please specify Hibachi or our main dining room.
Tarrytown, New York
“Worst hibachi experience ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I made a reservation for Shiro of Japan in Glendale for my brother-in-law's birthday because this location was more convenient than the location in Long Island which is excellent and has rave reviews from friends. It was a big mistake to think that their reputation extends to the Glendale location. The service was the worst I have ever experienced. I felt like I was disturbing the waiter by placing my order as he was constantly looking elsewhere, distracted and then still got our order wrong. We were seated next to a bunch of rowdy teenage girls who were there for a birthday party when half the restaurant was empty. We could not find our waiter so my husband went to look for him and was told he would have to wait for a manager to speak to which took a while. Finally, we were moved to another table. You would think that things would get better since the manager is aware that there is a problem but instead we did not get our appetizer sushi roll. Then we have to ask the bus boy (since the waiter does not come back to check on you) for our tea and rice to go with the very tasty food that the hibachi chef has made for us. After our food was cleared away we were not offered a dessert menu and then had to wait 20 min for the check which includes an 18% gratuity (less than the usual 20-25% I give when I eat hibachi) but more than this evening deserved. Normally, I would never think to call and complain about service because there are so many good options for food but I felt like the food was so good and the location close to where my family lives that I would like to go back some time to give it another chance. That was before the manager from that night called to make his lame excuses after I had spoken to one of the assistant managers at the other location. Now I will never recommend nor step foot into the Shiro of Japan at Glendale again.

• Visited October 2013

New York City, New York
“Good sushi in a mall”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

The restaurant is divided into hibachi section and a sushi section.. We ate in the sushi section which was good and quite reasonably priced. I had ceviche which, although not particularly ceviche-like, was tasty -- a salad with raw fish and a vinegar dressing. The various exotic rolls were also good. There is a large list of exotic polyesianesque cocktails. The mall it is in Atlas mall is nicely laid out, more reminiscent of Santa Monica than of Queens.

• Visited March 2013
New York City, New York
“Best Drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

Sushi is always perfect. Never had a bad meal and have been here often. The people a great and the service is excellent. Would hihgly recommend for the sushi lover.

Visited December 2012
Brooklyn, New York
“Worst wait and service ever in restaurant and I eat out every week”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Have been sitting for too long to be served. To make matters worst half the order for the appetizer was take because the waiter assume all of us were one party because all at the table were black. It's is approximately one hour now and still no food. Will definitely find another hibachi style restaurant to go to

NY
“It's as good as your table side chef.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

I personally thought the food was quite good. However, the experience was lessened by the timing of the table side chef. His timing was off. One of my friends received his entree without the rice or vegetables being ready and it was served while others at our table were receiving appetizers. Was this a mix up of the waitress or the chef? His table side show was also a bit lacking compared to some of the other chefs we observed that night.

Would I give this restaurant another try? Yes, I chalk this up to an "off night."

• Visited February 2012