“BEAUTIFUL Property and Mansion” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center

You added Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center to your Saves list
Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   200 Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove, NY 11542 (Formerly Harrison Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glen Cove
Edgewater, Maryland
“BEAUTIFUL Property and Mansion”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was a little concerned after reading the reviews BUT it is the only place in town to stay!! Actually, I found the front desk staff very helpful and basically friendly (I'm from the south so the definitions vary a little!!). The first room we received really smelled awful!! Like a dark, musty, moldy basement!! I felt sick within the first 5 minutes. I called the front desk and explained the issue. They gave us another room right away and apologized perfusely. It is a very old, historic building so I guess this happens. The next room was up a floor and was gorgeous!! No fowl odor or anything. Very fresh and beautiful. The entire mansion was decorately beautifully for the holidays. The grounds look lovely!! We had about a half inch of snow, so it was really gorgeous. The geese out in the field and the beautiful fountain were just amazing!! I was, however, VERY disappointed in the bell staff.....or the lack thereor!! This is not an easy property to navigate. Lots of stairs, twists and turns. And absolutely no help or offer of help to two women (one elderly) checking in. There was a gentleman at the front door, obviously an employee, but he did not offer to help with the bags or even OPEN THE DOOR FOR ME. Yes, that sort of ticked me off!! So, all in all, not a bad stay. They definitely need a little customer service upgrade!! Again, I guess there is no competition but that is no excuse for poor customer service. The front desk staff was great, but the gentleman at the door could have at least offered to open the darn thing for me!! If I was going back, I think I would drive a little out of my way (maybe Roslyn or something) and stay elsewhere. It is a shame. This is a BEAUTIFUL property. But not cheap, so they really need to offer some sort of bell service.

Room Tip: Ask for one that doesn't smell bad!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Cindy S
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review. I am happy you found the property and grounds at the Glen Cove Mansion beautiful. We take pride in caring for the historic Mansion and 55 acres of land it sits on.

I am sorry for the negative first-impression you received from the bell-staff upon arrival. We train our staff to be attentive and aware of the needs that any of our guests might have. Your comments will be used as a valuable resource in our training.

I am glad that despite your first impression of our bell-staff and your room that we were able to accommodate you quickly in getting a new room. Our Front Desk is more than happy to accommodate all guests who have concerns about their rooms and offer alternatives based on availability.

Again thank you for your review. I do hope that you will chose the Glen Cove Mansion again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
bayside,newyork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The hotel staff is the worst I have ever encountered. I have been in the trave industry for 18 years and will never recommend this hotel again. The staff is the rudest, I can't believe they stay in business treating customers the way they do. The rooms are sub par. I had to speak to 10 different people before I could make a reservation...it was almost like they didn't want business. No one knows what's going on...and couldn't be bothered ..I asked for a recommendation of a near by restaurant ( because I could not get a reservation in there restaurant) the answer I got was " I have no idea" you would be much better off staying at the " Roslyn hotel" much better staff. I am from ny and we have a 6 month old baby all we were looking for was a night away....Do not stay at his hotel.....such a disappointment .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank mrs.travelpro
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry your visit to the Glen Cove Mansion wasn't up to your standards. We take customer feedback very seriously and make them a part of our training and improvement efforts.

I am sorry that you were not happy with the staff you encountered during your stay. Our Pub 1910 restaurant and Garden Dining Room have ample seating for most meals. In your case, you were unable to secure a reservation at any of our dining options and were not given alternatives. We take pride in the fact that our Front Desk is equipped with local restaurant listings as well as knowledgeable staff who can provide recommendations. I am sorry that you were unable to get help from our staff during your stay. The Food & Beverage department and the Front Desk have been informed of your experience and will be addressing your issue with staff accordingly.

Again, thank you so much for your review. The information you provided is invaluable to us in our efforts to improve our property and staff.

Travelers are raving about these Glen Cove hotels

new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I visited the Glen Cove mansion once before and I enjoyed my stay so much
Staff was great the moment you walk into the front door
Bell staff, receptions and food service
I was greeted by welcome back as soon as the front office Magdy Sharaf looked up my reservation; I was upgraded to a very spacious room for the night even though I booked through Expedia
The bellmen helped me to get to my room, yes is a little walk to the room but its not that bad at all, I was close to the recreation area, the swimming pool and the workout room
The place is clean and the room is amazing
Breakfast in the morning served at the dining room is a full American all you can eat for $16.50 a person, great deal and you can get a freshly made omelet to order
The staff at the dining room was very attentive to me with OJ, coffee and all
I had such a good time at the mansion thanks to the staff and the management that they make it all happened
I will return again when I can, I love this place

Room Tip: ask for a room by the pool area its very clean and close to the recrestion are and the pool unless...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I can't believe how unorganized this establishment is, nasty customer service, horrible smelling room, confusing directions to the room, just a total mess! This was one of the worst hotel stays I ever had! I should of just pitched a tent and stayed in the surrounding woods!!!

• Stayed December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank TRAVELERTDJ
Glen Cove, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our home was destroyed by the hurricane and while our house was undergoing construction, we decided to stay at the nearby Glen Cove "So Called Mansion" for a 5 day stay with the kids. What a disaster! Smoky rooms, dirty floors, filthy bathtub, faulty heating system, no ice anywhere in the hotel, outdated decor, gym equipment from the 1970"s, stale coffee, way overpriced breakfast, lunch, dinner, snobby and unwelcoming staff, food that was supposed to be hot was cold and food that was supposed to be cold was warm and disgusting. Sleep time was really non-existent, we kept waking up at all times of the night, itchy and with what probably seemed like bed bug bites. Yuk!

All that was nothing compared to the rudeness and bigotry we felt during our stay there. During our final night there, we decided to exercise at the 24/7 Recreation Center that THEY ADVERTISE SO MUCH THERE. Racquetball IS LISTED AS RECREATION in their Room Handbook. The desk at the Recreation Center had racquets that were left on the counter. There was no sign that says "if you use the racquets beyond any time that is inconvenient to security and management, it is Illegal and we will call the Police on you"! Well, as the story goes, we used the racquets, there was no staff present there, we played a few games, walked off the court to take a breather, and thats when Leo, the toy security guard came out and blasted my family for "STEALING" the hotels $5 racquets and ILLEGALLY playing racquetball. Even though it was explained to him that we were within our rights, as one of us went to the room to retrieve the guest services book which clearly shows that the recreation center is OPEN 24/7. Other guests also ARGUED with LEO in our presence. To no avail, Leo plays by his own rules. He decided to shove my wife out of the way and snatch the racquets from my hand and then physically assault me in front of the kids who were hysterically crying. In defense of my family, the favor was returned. LEO then ran to what seemed like his boyfriend manager who helped him concoct a false story. As my family and other observers calmly walked to the front desk, the manager had already called the Police. When the police got there, they had already passed judgement! We were guilty from the beginning and we were viewed as a threat to the "Wellness" of the hotel. So, we checked out minutes later. We would rather sleep in the car or in our cold and open house during Thanksgiving than stay at that Horrible Hotel 1 More Night!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank UnsafeGuests
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

As you drive up to this property you will feel that you have arrived at a 4 star hotel but then you enter the lobby to find worn and dirty carpeting and rugs. The guests room are a long walk from the lobby and are a bit of a maze since the guest rooms were added onto the mansion. The rooms were clean and quite which is always important. I also would make sure you confirm at check you are getting the room you booked. I booked a King room and when I got to my room it was 2 double beds and it's a long walk back to the lobby, I wasn't pleased that they tried to give me a room I didn't book. As I read the other reviews I feel like I stayed at another hotel but different stroke for different folks this is not the standard of travel I am used to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lb121
Oceanside, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just before Sandy hit Long Island, our community received a mandatory evacuation order and my husband and I left quickly without knowing where to go. The first hotel we called had doubled their rates. Instead, the Glen Cove Mansion dropped their rates to accommodate LI Island's many refugees. When the power went out there, they were ready with a generator to run the refrigerators and some lights. They also placed light sticks in the darkened halls and offerred to charge our cell phones, efficiently using luggage tags to identify the owners. There was no heat, but we had plenty of blankets. The food went from menu service to buffets and the dishes changed to paper plates, but the staff remained conscientious and attentive. The manager and and some of the staff stayed over at the hotel despite the needs of their own families. After 4 days without power, they decided to close down.
Our street received 4 foot of water and our entire home flooded, but our stay at the GC Mansion will remain in our memory as a bright spot in a difficult week.
We want to thank everyone from the manager to the waitors and cleaning staff for their efforts and many kindnesses during difficult conditions.
Phylis & Sid

#1 of 4 in Huntington
4.5 of 5 stars 181 reviews
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carle Place - Garden City

Been to Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center? Share your experiences!