New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Glen Cove
nyc
“beautiful grounds”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

As you drive up to this property you will feel that you have arrived at a 4 star hotel but then you enter the lobby to find worn and dirty carpeting and rugs. The guests room are a long walk from the lobby and are a bit of a maze since the guest rooms were added onto the mansion. The rooms were clean and quite which is always important. I also would make sure you confirm at check you are getting the room you booked. I booked a King room and when I got to my room it was 2 double beds and it's a long walk back to the lobby, I wasn't pleased that they tried to give me a room I didn't book. As I read the other reviews I feel like I stayed at another hotel but different stroke for different folks this is not the standard of travel I am used to.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lb121

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Oceanside, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just before Sandy hit Long Island, our community received a mandatory evacuation order and my husband and I left quickly without knowing where to go. The first hotel we called had doubled their rates. Instead, the Glen Cove Mansion dropped their rates to accommodate LI Island's many refugees. When the power went out there, they were ready with a generator to run the refrigerators and some lights. They also placed light sticks in the darkened halls and offerred to charge our cell phones, efficiently using luggage tags to identify the owners. There was no heat, but we had plenty of blankets. The food went from menu service to buffets and the dishes changed to paper plates, but the staff remained conscientious and attentive. The manager and and some of the staff stayed over at the hotel despite the needs of their own families. After 4 days without power, they decided to close down.
Our street received 4 foot of water and our entire home flooded, but our stay at the GC Mansion will remain in our memory as a bright spot in a difficult week.
We want to thank everyone from the manager to the waitors and cleaning staff for their efforts and many kindnesses during difficult conditions.
Phylis & Sid

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I travel extensively for business and liesure, within the US and around the globe, and have very high expectations for all aspects of my stay. When on Long Island I frequently stay at The Glen Cove Mansion. It is a uniquely gorgeous estate property with fabulous amenities and first class service. Magdy Sharaf, Front Office Manager, makes sure every stay is perfect for me and any family or associates. I highly recommend The Glen Cove Mansion. M Marshall

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank margery m
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Thanks you so much for your review! Thank you for noting that our Front Office Manager provided excellent service during your stay. We take pride in providing excellent service in all departments and believe that a great first impression at the Front Desk sets the tone for a pleasant stay.
Again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you again at the Mansion some time soon!
New Rochelle, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed there recently and had an absolutely great time. I never heard of the hotel until I saw it on one of the discount sites. We had a one night stay, champagne and strawberries, bike rental and breakfast in the morning. We stayed in a standard deluxe room. The room was very clean. We did alot of walking around the Mansion. They have an outdoor pool, which was very nice. The bar upstairs was very impressive. It had a separate room for playing pool and darts, etc. We had a nice light fare and enjoyed some wine. We rental the bikes and went to the beach which was not too far. I was extremely impressed and would return again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the regular standard deluxe which was very nice, not sure about the other rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary M
Thank you for your review! I am very happy to hear that you took full advantage of many of the Mansion's great amenities, especially the bike rental. As you have seen, we are situated on 55 beautiful acres surrounded and near some of Long Island's beautiful North Shore Beaches. I am glad that you took advantage of the bike rental and explored our surroundings. We hope to see you here again in the near future!
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

From the street the Glen Cove Mansion is impressive, its setting is spectacular, the neighborhood is awesome.......Check in enforces that image......the staff bend over backwards to accomodate and assist....the grounds are beautiful and well kept....but it seems to end there!! Make sure You have a Bellman's help with your baggage because it is a forever hike to your room (no it will not be in the mansion)......it is in an annex.....the hike takes you through a labyrinth of passages to get there (hint...Travel light...it is a haul...you will tire quickly of the hike).Parking is equally bad....poorly planned...another hike (Hint..stay inside..never leave the grounds).
The room will bew quite nice with a great mattress and bedding....but it will be a wee bit dated. IMO Overpriced!!! Meals are Well Prepared and Tasty...Pricing is compatible with Long Island prices (Expensive)..Worthy of a short stay but hardly worthy of more than 3 nights!!

Room Tip: Try to get close to parking...it is a very, very long walk!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank billybuzzy
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with the Mansion's facade and grounds. At the Glen Cove Mansion, we strive to make a good impression on our guests from start to finish. Thank you for noting that you had a pleasant check-in experience with our front desk agents. Similarly, I am happy to hear that you were pleased with the quality of your meals.

I am sorry that you were not pleased with the layout of the Glen Cove Mansion. Our 187 guest rooms are located in the addition on the north side of the Mansion. Our parking is located on the eastern side of the grounds separated from the rooms by our patio and gardens. Our bellmen are here to help guests with your luggage to and from the guestrooms.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We are happy to have served you during your stay with family. I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Santa Fe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

When you arrive, the facade of this old mansion leads you to think your rooms might look something like that facade. Wrong. The rooms are very ordinary and motel-like in an attached, rear building. Ours smelled like a moldy basement and some sort of sickening air-freshener. There was black mold around the bathtub edge. This is really nothing but an over-priced $200 a night motel. If it weren't for the fact that we were far from home and made the decision to stay in the area late in the day, we would never have stayed here.
We had coffee and toast in the dining room for breakfast and were charged $38(!). When I asked the manager at the front desk if there was some mistake he said "you are charged the same whether you eat a little or a lot".
This money mill was designed for people on corporate accounts who don't care if they're being over-charged because they're not paying for it. This place takes full advantage of those corporate guests in every way they can and has no conscience about it. If you're paying for your stay yourself, or care about your employer being taken advantage of, then stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank hankmail505
Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry that you were not happy with your guest room. At the Mansion, we strive to meet and exceed our guests standards of cleanliness and comfort and unfortunately, we did not succeed during your stay. Your feedback has been noted and will be addressed with the housekeeping department. We take customer feedback very seriously and implement comments and suggestions in training and operating procedures.

I am sorry you were not pleased with your breakfast. We offer our breakfast buffet at a flat price so that our guests can take advantage of the extensive selection we offer.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback.
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

If you're here, hopefully it's because it's for a conference and you have no choice. I wouldn't normally write such a nit-picky review, but I had sticker shock (on my company's behalf) when I checked out and saw the average nightly rate for my two-night stay was $320.93 (including taxes and fees). I would think you would get pretty decent accommodations for that price, but the Glen Cove Mansion is in serious need of some TLC. Broadly speaking, it just seems tired, musty, run-down and battered by years of intensive conference usage and ad hoc renovations/additions.

I'll start with the handful of good things I observed:

-- The grounds were pleasant and seemed to be well maintained (but nothing at all spectacular).

-- The beds were nice and the linens were high-quality and very clean.

-- Wi-Fi was free.

Now the bad:

-- The whole place felt damp and musty, in particular the oddly-situated block of guestrooms in the square brick building. I ran the heater for an hour (even though it was 70 degrees outside) just to try to dry the room out a bit. Ventilation in general seemed to be a problem throughout the property, with the heavy scent of cleaning products and mildew in the air pretty much everywhere.

-- Everything needs updating. They seem to be doing the best they can to keep things clean, but the wallpaper is stained and peeling, the rugs are stained, the grout in the shower is brown and moldy, etc. My tub didn't drain.

-- The free Wi-Fi didn't work. Most people could connect to the router with good signal strength, but then there was no internet connection or it was unusably slow. I think there was too much traffic from the conference I was attending, although you would think they would have the bandwidth necessary to handle that since it is a conference center...

-- The climate control system for the mansion was clearly designed by a mad scientist, with the goal of making the occupants of every room uncomfortable in unique and torturous ways. I'm not talking about slight discomfort because it was a few degrees too hot or too cold -- I'm talking about blue lips and chattering teeth or using your conference folder to fan your sweaty brow. I saw the one poor maintenance guy scrambling around to try to fix things, but to no avail.

-- The welcome package for the conference said to call the hotel when your train was arriving to make sure their shuttle knew to pick you up. I did so and was told there should be plenty of taxis at the station. It's not an expensive ride (I was charged $6), but for $320 per night you would think they could arrange for their van to pick up the small group of guests arriving each hour on the train. Similarly, when I departed they were no help getting me back to the train station. Even though I came down to the lobby 40 minutes before my train left, the best they could do was call a cab, which did not arrive in time to catch the train. I eventually had to hitch a ride with another conference attendee that had booked a private car service.

With a serious investment in renovation (I would tear down the odd, 70's-style brick block of guestrooms and build something that actually integrates with the "mansion" theme of the property), this could be a pleasant place to stay for business or pleasure. Until that happens, I don't see how you justify the price relative to the quality of the accommodations here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DBNY82
GCMHotel, Public Relations Manager at Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such this detailed review. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. At the Glen Cove Mansion, we take customer feedback seriously and regard comments and suggestions as an integral part of our training and improvement efforts. Your feedback is invaluable to us and helps us continue to make improvements in all aspects of our operation.

The average nightly rate of $320.93 you saw upon check-out was the complete meeting package rate per participant your company agreed on for the conference. Our complete meeting package includes three meals per day, continuous refreshment breaks, on site recreation, standard audio visual for the main conference room, parking 24 hour access to conference space and overnight accommodations. If you’d like to know the average nightly rate for just the guestroom accommodations during your stay, you can private message me on Trip Advisor and we can discuss the details further.

I apologize that the wi-fi didn’t work properly during your stay. During service interruptions, wireless connections may show full connectivity with no access to the internet. During these interruptions, our IT team follows troubleshooting procedures to determine if the issue is internal and repair any problems immediately. Unfortunately, at times the service interruption is a matter beyond our control and can only be repaired through our service provider.

Throughout meetings, our Conference Planners are in close communication with your conference coordinator. Most of the time, meeting room temperature is set at the request of your coordinator. When temperature changes are requested, it may take several minutes for the in-room temperature to adjust depending on a variety of factors including room size and amount of people in the room.

I am sorry that you experienced difficulty with your transportation to the train station upon check-out. We work closely with local taxi companies and your feedback will be useful in improving and maintaining good, on-time service to and from the Glen Cove train station.

At the Glen Cove Mansion, we take pride in our service and providing companies with the facilities and amenities to host successful meetings. Feedback from customers like yourself is greatly appreciated. With your suggestions we can continue to make improvements to our guests’ comfort and satisfaction. I hope that you will visit us again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Cove
East Norwich Inn
East Norwich Inn
#1 of 1 in East Norwich
Homewood Suites by Hilton Carle Place - Garden City

Been to Glen Cove Mansion and Conference Center? Share your experiences!