“This is what dreams are made of”
Review of Geneva on the Lake

Geneva on the Lake
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Geneva on the Lake is like a dream, the gardens are something else and the GM Bill is responsible for hedging them. Where else is the GM seen to be doing the gardening. The staff were unbelievable nothing was too much trouble. The whole big picture cannot be described but must be experienced. The food totally complemented the stay. We did the drive around Lake Seneca and that was so worth the few hours it took, don't forget to stop at the local craft homes along the road you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I stayed at Geneva on the Lake with 2 of my friends. The purpose of the trip was a girls weekend out of the city. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and it was just perfect! The bathroom has a jacuzzi which was so much fun! We arrived in the afternoon. We relaxed along the water with some cocktails and snacks! At 4pm we took the complimentary pontoon ride around the lake. This was such a treat. We were so lucky with the weather! We finished off our day with the complimentary wine and cheese hour on the patio and then the most exquisite dinner in the restaurant. The food is next level amazing! The lobster was beyond tender and the flambeed desserts were quite the show stopper. We are already planning our trip to return in the fall. I highly recommend this hotel. The staff and attention to detail are impeccable.

Room Tip: B2C is a great 2 bedroom suite.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Hotel Geneva on the Lake is a beautiful, restful place that I would highly recommend. If you want to relax and enjoy the beauty of lake and sculpted grounds then this is an ideal place for you. To some of the commenters: if you want a loud bar and buffet dining, please go on a cruise and leave the rest of us in peace! The key words for this place are "old elegance." There is a parlor (with art, books, etc.) where you go for cocktails—very old school; very relaxing. The dining room is very formal (there's a harpist!) with excellent food and over-the-top service. I had both a dinner and breakfast here and both were outstanding, quiet, sophisticated experiences.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill M
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Beautiful suite... only wish we had more time to enjoy it. It was filled with antique furniture and Neoclassic period artwork. The view out of the sitting area windows was spectacular overlooking the lawn, pool and lake. . Attitudes a little stuffy from some employees and other tenants, although the wait staff at the restaurant were fabulous in the morning. The night front desk guy, although we checked in very late, was quick, friendly and attentive. We really appreciated that. The creepy religious statues spread around the lawn were a special treat. Only downside is that it was very expensive for what was delivered. I would very much have expected more that a continental breakfast for $500/night.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank WaresWaldo
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Planning a trip here I thought would be much better than we experienced. We took another couple that had never been to the Finger lakes before and I thought we'd pick the jewel of the lake. We had stayed many places before, but wanted to try Geneva on the Lake. The reservation was placed months in advance by using paid Living Social coupons. The young man was very kind, took all the information and assured me all that I would owe on check in for the two nights with four adults would be the taxes. I printed the confirmation showing we owed $59. We booked the Townhouse. On check in the receptionist informed us because we had four people in the two bedroom townhouse, we owed an additional $240.00. Isn't that what we reserved two bedrooms for? Two couples? Back and forth we went until I finally said "Whatever" and paid the bill in full on check in. Our stay went ok. The townhouse was clean. The one bedroom, extremely small needs a mirror, the other one a little larger was adequate. The grounds are large and need work, but it was early in summer and maybe they are behind. We very much enjoyed the breakfast, a nice, polite young man served us. Overall I thought it was a nice two days away. Then....we went to check out and were informed we owed another nights lodging and taxes. What??? Oh well, it appeared we got charged for two nights the first night, but it couldn't be changed at the moment; the receptionist will call me in an hour to inform me why that was done. After not hearing from anyone 2 1/2 hours later, I called and was told they were very busy and didn't get around to calling me. It appears the account was fine, no balance. The whole experience put a negative feeling on my friends. They enjoyed themselves but what was so hard about correcting that immediately? If I want to go away again, and we will, we will choose a more relaxing stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank winechick329
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed at Geneva on the Lake with my parents over the weekend and was impressed the minute I walked in the door. We enjoyed a nice lunch on the veranda outside under clear blue skies with terrific service and delicious food. The two bedroom/ two bath suite was well appointed and spacious. I enjoyed the keurig coffee and chilled bottles of water in the fridge.
The grounds are spectacular and there were families playing volleyball and enjoying the pool throughout the afternoon.
All in all a wonderful stay and I hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at Geneva on the Lake for Memorial Day weekend and we were also celebrating our wedding anniversary while we were there. I wasn't quite sure what to expect since all of the photos of the resort seemed dated. The hotel was very nice though. The grounds were beautiful and our suite was very nice as well. We did notice some mentions beforehand on Trip Advisor of the suites being dated, which they slightly are; however, our suite was very clean and everything is in good condition. The traditional style reminded me of my grandmother's house, I thought it was cozy, and the perfect place to stay for the weekend. The location was also great as it is so close to town and right on the lake. We enjoyed sitting on the dock every afternoon and enjoying a glass of wine there.

While we stayed there on a holiday weekend, it was still fairly quiet around the resort and area, which we liked. There was a wedding and reception on-site one of the evenings, and I was a little nervous it would interrupt our stay; however, it did not seem to at all.

The staff was all very nice and accommodating.

Breakfast on one of the mornings we were there did seem slightly understaffed and chaotic, but maybe that was because all of the guests seemed to be eating at the same time. In order to beat the breakfast crowd the next morning we tried to get up extra early, only to find that breakfast isn't served till 8:30 on weekdays, which seemed kind of late to us. The food was very good though. We did not dine there for dinner, but had heard from other guests that it was one of the best meals they had.

Overall it was a low-key relaxing weekend at a beautiful resort. We would definitely return to Geneva on the Lake.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#3 of 11 in Geneva
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Geneva on the Lake? Share your experiences!