“Excellent Food, Service and Atmosphere”
Review of Geneva on the Lake

Geneva on the Lake
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My family and I stayed here over the Thanksgiving holiday and cannot say how much we enjoyed the visit. The room was perfect and very comfortable. The food was some of the best we have had anywhere for both breakfast and dinner. Thanksgiving dinner was done with care and presented with pride.The service was outstanding as well as the live music for the dinners. This place is not for everyone but if you want to be pampered and live a little, this is it. The manager works very hard providing this service and the attention is personal. One night at dinner, the pianist played serveral selections from the Broadway Play "Oklahoma". I don't know if the pianist always plays these songs but I am more inclined to believe the manager told him to play them knowing we were from Oklahoma. One night for dinner we had a harp player who played beautifully. The building is old and has history but that just adds to the experience. The surroundings are beautiful and well kept. This is not a place for an overnight stay but if you enjoy the finer things in life well worth the extra cost.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here check on packages that are offered. They have better value than just the...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Spud805

Reviewed January 18, 2013

When I paid a high price of almost $400 for an overnight, the bed had to be pulled out of the wall, the food was not great, and it was in the middle of the week.When I wrote a letter of complaint, I got a quick response to call the manager. Not professional, at that price the manager should be calling me. I work too hard for my money. Very disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Keith-Kathy V
Reviewed January 17, 2013

I've never slept so well in my life. The room was fantastic, the food was top notch, and the service was memorable. Great place to stay if you decide to visit the Finger Lakes region of NY. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed there mid December 2012 for two nights. The location is nice and easy to find. A beautiful setting on the lake with easy access to town as well as for enjoyable walks.
Other than that I am having a very difficult time seeing the value for the price paid. We stayed in their largest suite (2 bdr/2bath/Fireplace/Kitchen) and were completely disappointed with the room considering the price ($600+ per night).
There is absolutely no justification for this pricing. This room is outdated, dirty, horrible bed....and on and on... For $600/night in the middle of nowhere NY I expect to be completely blown away.

The people were nice.... But - buyer beware...this is not an upscale hotel...at all. This is an old, outdated, roadside inn where the highlights are all outside and those are available at no charge. Too much competition in the Finger Lakes region to consider this location. Dont say I didn't warn you!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank M B
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I recently stayed at Geneva on the lake while visiting a few of the wineries in the area. The resort and the grounds were wonderful. Historic building was full of character and charm. If your looking for a modern location to stay this is not the place for you. Very quite- no high energy bar on site but there is a elegant parlor great for a relaxing drink. There were vacancies when we arrived so we got an upgrade- room with a wood burning fire place - free of charge. It was a great atmosphere to return to following a long day of wine tasting. The last night we were there the restaurant was slow so we were offered a complimentary meal. A quiet candle lit dinner was perfect and the food was amazing. The resort and the restaurant are very pricey- so I can see how this could be a significant deterant to some and I can also see how some may feel it is to high/not worth it. And as I said- if your looking for a high energy atmosphere this is not the place for you. With that said-our trip was so perfect. We had such a memorable stay and the resort did everything in their power to ensure all our needs were met/exceeded. Everything worked out perfect for us and the relaxed vibe was just what we needed.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank House412
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We went to the Finger Lakes to enjoy a Wedding and the Vineyards. The area is spectacular during the time we traveled the second weekend in October. We arrived after sunset to have a bit of a difficult time find the location ( tarpaving the parking lot with tape and barricades). Once you are there and get the hang of the area its very easy to find.. Despite it being a beautiful place and the staff quite accomodating... I would have to say the rooms are very overpriced, quaint but definately overpriced. We had a cold front come through and no central heating was available. We were offered a small space heater. I later came down with bronchitis that turned into pneumonia! Still ill as writing this. My daughter and I ate breakfast one morning there. Continental offered free. Not much given so she ordered Eggs Benedict. Two eggs on english muffin with a little hollindaise on a white plate for $18. We were shocked! We stayed there due to the Wedding and actually stayed an extra night so to wind down. Would we stay there again? Glad we did. But I am sure there are other places to stay

Room Tip: We chose this room because the hotel does not have an elevator and I can not do stairs. Very quiet a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2012

When we arrived the driveways had just been blacktopped and it was very inconvenient for us to even get to the desk which is down stairs and not very welcoming. We were shown to our room which was up two and a half flights of stairs. The rooms were very small including a tiny bathroom. There were drapes on the windows mostly covering what view there was of the lake. There are no elevators so this is not a hotel for any one with any difficulty with stairs. One of the best things here was a boat trip on the beautiful lake Seneca. Once again, it is a long walk down a difficult staircase. The hotel is very charming but clearly not worth the almost $400 cost per night for the room which amount to basically a small walk up apartment,

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Belhurst Castle
Hampton Inn Geneva
#3 of 11 in Geneva
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes
Del Lago Resort & Casino

Been to Geneva on the Lake? Share your experiences!