“Poor service & food undermines this boutique hotel”
Review of Geneva on the Lake

Geneva on the Lake
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The disappointing food, limited menu, and poor service at this hotel's one restaurant undermines a stay at this pricey hotel. At $500 per night for a two-bedroom suite, my group had expected something extraordinary when we checked in. The setting of this hotel on Senaca Lake is outstanding, but our lunch there on day one was so bad that we had to find an alternative restaurant for dinnerthat day and then get take away pizza on day two. Geneva is an economically depressed town, so finding a nice restaruant was difficult; the one restaurant people mentioned was fully reserved. The staff at Geneva On the Lake appeared to be college stundents trying to be waiters and chefs, but failing miserably. The food situation at this hotel appears to be a cronic problem, judging from previous reviews. Otherwise, the pool was too cold to enjoy -- they need to heat it. My recommendation is to stay at the nearby Belhurst Castle and just take a walk through the grounds of Geneva on the Lake.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank robertli1234
There are newer reviews for Geneva on the Lake

Reviewed July 21, 2011

We ha d anise relaxing stay here. The pool was quiet and peaceful. No screaming kids. The view of the lake is gorgeous. The grounds are very well maintained. The restaurant served good meals. The coffee was rather lame. No beach and that is a draw back.

Our room,the loft, was incredible. Nicely furnished with Stickley furniture very nicely done.

Overall a nice hotel for a couple night get a way.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank coyotetraveler
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We happened to find this hotel by chance searching on google for a place to stay in the finger lakes region. It's a lovely hotel with excellent food and the grounds are beautiful. We had a suite which consisted of two bedrooms, kitchen living room and two bathrooms. Lots of nice touches as well such as free in room wifi, complimentary wine in the room, pre dinner drinks, cycle use etc... Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank rbgb
Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is a unique and special place. The grounds are immaculate, and the service outstanding. The rooms are unique, and quaint. If you are expecting a hotel room, it's not whatbyou will get, instead, they are small quaint suits with great views, and unique character. The only downside to our room was the smell of wood due to the fireplace, but it was notna huge issue, and was small in comparison to the other positives.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Some friends of mine in Geneva drove me past Geneva on the Lake and said how lovely it is. I come to the city on business and decided that instead of listening to the poor-ish verbal reviews that I'd heard from others, I would give it a try for lunch on a hot day last week. The grounds are beautiful with hedges, little nooks and walkways to the water. As I came into the dining room, there were two staffers facing the water, with their backs to the door. They finally turned around and directed me to the outdoor dining area where I sat for 5 minutes without anyone paying attention. Finally a waitress came and gave me a menu. I told her I was under a time crunch and she was responsive in taking the order and bringing the iced tea and food. I ordered duck confit salad and what came was bland, not duck-like at all, with mushy lettuce and a dressing that best resembled something out of a grocery store bottle. The waitress quickly brought a bill which indicated the salad was not duck as I had ordered but chicken salad, as it had tasted! I waited for another 15 minutes and finally took back my credit card and left cash with tip. The staff throughout the premises--the front desk room which is hidden, the waitstaff etc. are all weirdly detached, as though they do not work in a hospitality trade. For iced tea and salad, the tab was $23.00 which is high considering I got the wrong order, the quality and the wait. I'm glad I tried it out for lunch before spending more money on dinner. Geneva on the Lake seems very similar to its neighbor Bellhurst Castle in that the site excels high above the personnel or management which is a shame for the community.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank PAM_from_LINY
GOTL2, Rob at Geneva on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

On behalf of our staff I want to apologize to our recent guest who did not receive the welcome, service and meal that she had hoped for and that we have passionately striven to provide for almost 30 years now.

Notice of your experience came to me shortly after four of us had returned from a luncheon where we were privileged to receive a Legacy Award for Excellence in Hospitality.

Your feedback was humbling.

As we do not have your contact information may I ask that you contact me in order that I may try to make this situation right.

Bill Schickel

Reviewed January 14, 2011

My fiance and I took a last minute trip to the finger lakes last week. We originally made reservations at the Belhurst (we probably would have made reservations at Geneva on the Lake originally but I had looked at their prices before and assumed it would be too expensive). We were given the key to our room and to our surprise it wasn't cleaned. It was the only room available so they said we would have to wait while it was prepared. We decided not to stay. We called Geneva on the Lake to see if they had any rooms available, luckily they did so we took one. When we arrived we were greeted by a very warm and friendly staff. They decided to upgrade us to a villa suite which was fine by me. Our room was very nice, spacious and clean. We had a romantic candle-lit dinner accented by live music at their restaurant. Breakfast was delivered to our room and it was very good as well. Everything included cost about $350, not cheap but for what we got I feel it was a fair price. All in all we had a wonderful time and look forward to returning!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Libations_Lounge
Reviewed December 1, 2010

I attended my cousin's wedding reception on this property in August of 2010. I can't speak concerning the quality of the actual lodgings for overnight guests, but every other aspect of this property exceeded our expectations. The property is truly breathtaking. The grounds are meticulously groomed, and the views are absolutely gorgeous. The food was delicious, and the portions were surprisingly ample. What sets this venue apart was its personnel. From the wait staff to the manager-on-duty, everyone was professional and personable. I cannot recommend Geneva-on-the-Lake highly enough. We will remember our visit for years to come.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple