“Noisy Neighbour”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
St. Catharines, Canada
“Noisy Neighbour”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

We stayed at the Hampton inn for 2 nights as we were visiting the area. The second night, a couple next door started arguing which continued until 4:30 am. We did not sleep. I just mentioned it to the front desk the next morning. They called me while I was driving home saying the manager apologized and did not charge me for the second night. That was very nice. You can't determine that the people next to your room would be so inconsiderate. I do like staying at Hampton Inns.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Arabic first
Oneonta, New York
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have stayed at other Hampton inn hotels they are usually high quality. I found this particular hotel to be sub-par for the brand. Upon entering my room I noticed that the refrigerator had scratches all over the side. It seemed very unsightly like someone had pushed it along a floor on its side on a floor. The bed did not look like a bed I would want to get in. I took a picture of it and posted the picture. It was very lumpy? The bed spread is in dire need of replacement. The unit was clean. The toilet in the bathroom seemed very low to the floor. The TV in the room was at a funny angle to the bed. Most TV’s in hotels face the bed.
I have stayed in other Hampton in hotels and they were of better quality of this particular hotel. We stayed here due to the location. This hotel is very close to a big shopping area. It seems that this particular Hampton Inn is a bit out dated and needs to be brought up to date. I would not stay here a second time, I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampton G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Geneva, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. We take your comments into consideration and have started our renovations of our 8 year old hotel. Our first project was our fitness center and was then followed by our lobby. Next on our agenda is our guestrooms. We would love for you to come and visit as we continue to improve our hotel for our guests.

Jessica Bacher
Saint Marys, Georgia
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Think twice about this place. I will never return to this property again. I love Hampton Inn and what they offer but this property was a disappointment to the chain. I have come to expect a certain standard with Hampton Inn and didn’t receive it at this property.

The walls are so thin it was dreadful! You are able to hear the people in the room around you. When people make noise in the hallway just echoes throughout the building.

I tend to walk up early and love to go for a swim first thing in the morning but alas not here. You are offered the amenity of a pool and hot tub but you may not enter until 10 am! I was very upset. You wake up early and would like to enjoy the facilities before you start the day but you may not enter. I went to the front desk to ask about this and they said no entry until after the pool and hot tub are checked. I understand this but if you offer the amenity it should be available at a reasonable time. Other properties I’ve stayed at open their pools at 8 am and feel that is a better option.

Taking a shower was interesting as well because the safety grab bar was in a terrible location. In order to stand under the shower head you were right next to the grab bar. Very inconvenient! I attempted to move the shower head to deal this but it was not possible to move it.

Premium price for a less than premium experience.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input on our guestroom appointment and amenities and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience. We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction.

Jessica Bacher
West Chester, United States
Reviewed November 11, 2013

You can walk to many restaurants. Gallagers is a friendly Irish pub. The train is the only down side, but it doesn't go by during the night. Nice to see trains still exist. Sae too as tghe police station is directy behind the hotel

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We wanted to be in a hotel with a view of Lake Genva, and we did get that if you don't count the street, railroad tracks, wires and parking lot in-between. Off reason, we paid just over $171 for a mid-week rate. We got a strictly average King room with sloppy decor (no one took much time decorating is what I mean), the usual Hampton Inn breakfast which has gotten increasingly poor over the years, VERY SLOW wi-fi, no channel guide for the TV and NOISE. Noise from the freight trains outside our room (and everyone else's) and poor noise insulation or TV placement as we heard our neighbor's TV which disturbed our sleep. On the upside, the staff is very friendly and helpful and we enjoyed the indoor whirlpool even though the water wasn't very hot. The greatest asset of this place is the people who work there. For the same money, stay at Belhurst Castle or check out the Ramada across the street and get a lakefront room away from the trains.

Room Tip: There are no rooms which allow you to get away from the train noise. Bring earplugs…..the trains do...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed November 6, 2013

My only "problem" was that the website said that all rooms contained a mini fridge and since we were planning day trips from the hotel, I brought some snacks that required refrigeration. I was ,therefore, quite disappointed when there was no refrigerator in the room. Thankfully the weather was a bit cool and I had a good cooler. I kept it in the car overnight. Had we been there in warmer weather we would have lost the food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

glens falls,ny
Reviewed October 30, 2013

the inn was a bit noisy (train nearby) and thin walls for a Hampton.
furnishings a bit dated as well; quite expensive, even for a Hampton but it is a college town.
would not stay again. the innkeeper made good referrals for dinner
if you stay, pay attention to the railroad location in reference to the hotel

Room Tip: higher floors may be better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hampton G, General Manager at Hampton Inn Geneva, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent stay with us via TripAdvisor. We appreciate your honest input and apologize you were not comfortable during your stay. We will use your comments as we constantly evolve our property and we hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls
Belhurst Castle
Belhurst Castle
#8 of 11 in Geneva

Been to Hampton Inn Geneva? Share your experiences!