“DO NOT STAY, VILE, BED BUGS”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
MA
“DO NOT STAY, VILE, BED BUGS”
Reviewed September 13, 2009

Please do NOT stay here. . My daughter is a freshman at nearby Hobart and William Smilth college and asked us to come up for a quick visit and bring a few items to her from home. We tried to stay at other hotels, but this was the only one available since it was a last minute trip. We were very leary after reading some of these reviews, but hoped that maybe it would be better. Please read this and remember...THE ROOMS ARE VILE. We were brought to two different rooms. The first had an unbelievable odor...possibly fumigation? Windows were open, smell unbearable. Got another room that didn't have a smell and seemed ok. We were excited to see our daughter so we immediately left to visit with her. When we came back we got ready for bed and when bringing down the sheets we notice thick black hair everywhere! Even under the sheets on the matteress pad! I can't tell you how disgusting it was. We slept uneasily all night long on top of the bed with towels underneath us. It was awful. The next morning we went to the front desk to complain. We refused to stay the remaining night and demanded a refund. Well, there is a huge sign saying in red "NO REFUNDS"...makes you wonder...the women brought me to the man who cleans the room, I insisted he come look at the bed, when he romoved all the blankets BED BUGS came out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't imagine! My son started stomping on them, I grabbed the luggage and ran! Please listen to me, this is a horrible place! The manager responded to this with a shrug and said he'd put us in another room! Are you kidding!!?? Another room! Please, please, please believe me and the other reviewers... save your money, make this place go out of business...don't let anyone else, or yourselves go thru what I and my family did. Needless to say after a few showers and washing all the clothes as well as the suitcase they were in I still feel dirty. I've contacted the corporate office, but who knows what they can or will do. I was also told that the owner of this particular Inn in Geneva, NY also owns the one in Buffalo...keep that in mind.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
14 Thank jennann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Allegany, NY
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a little get away to got and hit the wine trail down to Watkins Glen. The jacuzzi took 2 and a half hours to fill, because the water keep getting cold and we had to shut if off and let it warm back up. Two of the lamps where out, did not work. I went and told somebody at the front office and told them we where going to dinner. We came back and still no lights, but they came and knocked on the door at 10pm to fix the lights. Then the next day, taking a shower, the water got super hot and then really cold and then super hot. No hair dyer or iron or ironing board in room. Breakfast was a joke. And the beds where as hard as a concrete slab.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jback1131

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Buffalo, NY
Reviewed July 4, 2009

My daughter had just had her first child, and I was at her house until midnight, helping with the baby. Got to the motel exhausted and just looking to sleep, shower and leave. The bathroom was gross. It not only hadn't been cleaned, it still held the former occupants excrement in the toilet. There was a used shampoo foil packet in the drain of the tub, hairs and shaving cream in the sink, and mold behind the toilet.
The bedsheets were see through thin, and had captured someones hair, both the straight and the curly, to welcome me to slumber. I got the blanket I keep in my trunk and slept on top of that.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank bridges56
Pembroke, ON
Reviewed June 30, 2009

My wife and I booked this hotel for a 31st anniversary trip to the Finger Lakes area. My wife complained constantly that the room was dirty and she did not want to stay there. So, we contacted the desk after our first night of a three night booking and told them we wanted to check out. They refused to refund the rest of our stay. Unfortunatley, this upset us so much that we felt we no longer wanted to stay in the area and we drove home. A completely ruined trip to a place we had wanted to visit for some time ! Too bad. Terrible hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank steveca01
New York
Reviewed June 10, 2009

When we pulled into the parking lot and there litterally wasn't another vehicle around, we should have known. A very nice young lady gave us our room keys and charged my cc. We drove over to the room and noticed across the parking lot was the laundry / vending room had broken glass in the window. As we were trying to open the door to our room (my husband had to throw his shoulder into it a couple of times) we noticed someone peeking out of a door way a few rooms away - CREEPY. When we opened the door, the smell of mold and mildew was overwhelming. The jacuzzi tub had hair all over in it and the faucet and handles were coveredin ick. The bathroom was bizarre, with the light swtich being outside the room and about 6 ft. off the floor. There was NO way I was staying there. We went directly back to the desk and told the young lady we weren't staying. She said she couldn't give us a refund because there was a 48 hr. cancellation notice. With this, her boss came out of the back and tried to get us into another room. I flat out refused and said I needed my credit card refunded and I was going elsewhere. He wasn't happy about it, but had the young lady do it. I feel so bad that she's there all alone. Don't think the price is worth it - it itsn't. I'd sooner stay at a youth hostel. RUN!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank mom4marley
Massachusetts
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Here is a copy of the letter I sent to ABVI management:
Dear Corporate Management
Hello, this message is for the management of Americas Best Value Inn to detail my experience with ABVI in Geneva NY.
We took the card key and went to the room. It was a suite but had only one bed, but had a pull out couch bed. This is not what I would have reserved for the 4 of us as I would never had agreed to have us sleeping on a couch bed as they are very uncomfortable. I believe when I reserved the room, the manager indicated it as two beds including the couch as a bed where I was expecting 2 real beds. This in itself was not a major issue, so I went to the desk and they were ok with changing to a room with two real beds.

We went to the new room #161 (which they indicated was fully ready). As we walked up to the room, the door was wide open to the hallway, which was odd. Again, not a big deal at that point. We walked in started to settle in but noticed the room was not clean. The flat furniture surfaces were sticky and had many drink marks on them, the refrigerator had two meals from the previous customer, and worse, the bathroom had many hairs in the sink and tub area and it was obvious the tub area had not really been cleaned, just kind of rinsed out. This had us sort of grossed out so we called the desk and asked for yet another room.

Going into this next room #162 was also initially alarming to us as the door was very difficult to open and close and lock and was about to fall apart from the looks of it. We were ok with that but as we got into this room we looked around and were even more grossed out by what we saw. The room itself was barely passable for clean but it was very late and we were very tired so were not too picky at this point. What totally grossed us out was the condition of the bathroom again! This bathroom had a used towel hanging on the inside of the bathroom door, many hairs in and around the sink as well as the tub. The tub had mold growing around the tiles and it was very evident that the walls of the tub area had not been cleaned in a long while. The toilet had NOT EVEN BEEN FLUSHED, it had yellow water and toilet paper still in the bowl!!!! The sink had faucet handles that were barely attached. The cold control especially was barely working. When I turned on the hot water, water would pour out of the faucet but also was coming out and around the cold water handle area as well. The floors were dirty and not vacuumed and no cups for using to brush your teeth. All of this was very disconcerting to us and we were very, very grossed out. As it was late and due to pleading by our kids to not move yet again, we agreed to stay but did not touch any of the surfaces and used the bathroom as little as possible.

I like to think I am fairly tolerant of the condition of a hotel room, especially one that is on the lower end of the scale (we have been to many many motels) but this is by far the most gross experience I have ever had. It just boggles my mind that a motel can stay in business with this level of condition. I would recommend that the management of ABVI relinquish any association with this motel in Geneva. This accounting of our experience is totally true. I could not have possibly made up this level of grossness. This message will also be sent to the corporate office via regular mail as well. I want to make sure this level of motel management is fully realized at ABVI. As this is the first time I have ever felt I HAD to respond to the condition of a motel, I would be interested in understanding your view point on this situation.

Alden Smith

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank onemoretraveler
Amherst,MA
Reviewed January 24, 2009

Hello,
This evening Amie provided me with exceptional customer service. I am a repeat customer from Massachusetts. I have secured reservations for May 16, 2009. The purpose of my trip and lodging needs is to attend my daughter's graduation from William Smith College. I recommend your Inn to other parents of graduates for it's service and convenience to campus. Thank You

• Liked — Customer service, Wi-Fi, CONVENIENCE to William Smith College campus visiting daughter
  • Disliked — Lighting in the room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Hampton Inn Geneva
Hampton Inn Geneva
#3 of 11 in Geneva
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!