“An All Time Low”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I have had to stay at this hotel in the past and knew not to expect much but since the new ownership has taken over it has gotten worse.

We booked over the phone and were given a rate of $109.99 per night which is highway robbery for the quality you are getting but we booked as the other hotels in the area were booked. We checked online and the rates were as low as $88.34 per night (Priceline). We called back to say we were going to cancel our reservation and book online and they said they would give us a rate of $93 per night. We accepted this and booked 2 rooms for Friday and Saturday night and an additional room for Sat. night.

When we got there on Friday night to check in it was a 30 minute arguement to get them to give us the right rate. They finally agreed to a rate of $99 which was not correct but where were we going to go at that point.

They had also screwed up our reservation and 1 of the rooms that we had booked for 2 nights could not stay in the same room and had to check out in the morning and move rooms. The room booked for 2 nights and the second room for the Friday night were paid for at that time.

We then went to the rooms and although it had been 99 degrees with the humidity the air conditioners had not been turned on in the rooms. Needless to say it was like a sauna in the rooms. At around 5 am I woke up because the airconditioning in my room had stopped working. We did get it going again but it was too late to get any more sleep. The airconditioners are from the 1970's and the dust on them is just about as old.

We vacated the one room Sat. morning and moved our bags to the other room. When we went back later that evening to register for the other 2 rooms it was another arguement. The power was off due to an electrical storm and when we went to the desk the owners were rude, confrontational and actually were yelling at us. They kept saying that we had not paid for the rooms (which was insane since they won't even give you a key if you have not paid in full). They also were trying to charge us full rate again. Finally after another 30 minute arguement we got the keys for the other 2 rooms and when we got into the rooms it was fairly obvious that the air conditioning had not been turned on in the 2 rooms we just rented. To top things off THEY ACTUALLY TURNED OFF THE AIR CONDITIONER IN THE ROOM OCCUPIED!!!!! WIth the power off we had no options but to sit outside with our friends. At 10 pm we were then told that this was not acceptable - I guess we were supposed to sit in our stifling hot rooms in the dark and wait for the power to come on.

The cleanliness of the rooms was marginal -the furniture, beds, linens were terrible and the bathrooms were disgusting. The shower was an adventure - you were never sure if you were going to get hot water, cold water or any water. The one stair case has sagged and is a hazard to walk up and down. I could go on and on.

Don't ever stay here - I will pitch a tent before I stay in this place again. The lowest rating offered to give this property is 1 - if I could give it less I would.

I can accept a lower class of hotel but I will not tolerate the way the owners of this place treat it's customers.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jj988

Reviewed July 14, 2008

The room was dirty, the bathtub had residue of a prior occupant. There was trash still from the prior occupant. Pulling down the bed cover a bug crawled out. We left and drove two and 1/2 hours rather than stay the night.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank chauncey123
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Previous reviews got most of it right, but I would add this is an old motel in need of renovations. The bed was okay & the bathroom was old & dingy. The location is great & the desk clerk at check-in was nice. The coffee at the continental breakfast was good, but the cups provided were too small. All in all, we had a fun stay notwithstanding our dingy, shabby rooms.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 27, 2008

As someone who frequently travels for both business and pleasure, I've seen my share of bad lodging. So, when I booked America's Best Value Inn for a girls long weekend in the beautiful NY Finger Lakes region, I thought "How bad can it possibly be?". I would find out soon enough.
I toyed with the idea of giving an OK rating instead of terrible, but chose the latter for the first time ever. Our arrival experience was OK though. We pulled up to the acceptable lobby and were helped by a very pleasant young lady who tried her darndest to get us checked in. That was the highlight of the America's Best Value Inn experience. The very large sign that proclaimed "NO REFUNDS" behind pleasant girl should have been a forewarning.
When we got to our rooms, we found so many things wrong that it's impossible to list them all here. And, the experience worsened the longer we stayed, which was 4 nights in all. My pillow smelled like puke, I was afraid to walk around in bare feet, the toilet wasn't clean, no mirrors in our second room, I woke up with bugs in my hair one morning, the pool was being filled in so they could avoid paying the insurance, no hooks to hang anything anywhere, only three hangers in each room, door handles that didn't work, and the list goes on and on. To cap things off, we noticed they were reusing dirty linens to make up the beds when we were checking out. My sister's pillow had a blood stain on it that was never changed, and that explains why. You should avoind this place at all cost, no matter how much more you have to pay.

3  Thank prettydiscdog
Reviewed December 4, 2007

This place is nasty. Little or no heat in the rooms, hallways, or lobby. So cold, we had to go to another place that night. When we spoke to the front desk person ( dressed like a derelict ), he said to cancel the rooms through the website via phone because his boss would fire him if gave us a refund. we did that, set up the refund at which point the front desk guy called the place back, told them the rooms were warm and reversed the refund behind our backs while we stepped out to get food. Again, we came back, demanded the refund and he angrily gave us a refund, telling us how he was going to get fired. He then called the neighboring hotel to warn them that we might be coming and that we trashed the rooms and caused trouble. Meanwhile, all we did was lay down briefly on the bed trying to tolerate how cold it was, we did not do anything to the rooms. This place does not belong in business. Stay at the Motel 6 next door, its cleaner, warmer, and just about the same price.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank VMD77
Reviewed November 10, 2007

This place is horrific. I've never seen a dirtier, more disgusting hotel. The room smelled terrible, and there was BLOOD and HAIR on the sheets, and VOMIT on the carpet! Toilet was so gross I wanted to leave hotel to find a public restroom. Strangers attempted to get into my room, had to push a chair up against the door. Do not go here under any circumstances!!!

Stayed: November 2007
4  Thank JennyNewYorker
Reviewed September 8, 2007

The rooms were dark and dingy . Even the towel bars looked
filthy. We had to stay because of it being in prime tour season and we were in town for a wedding and everything else was booked. We would never stay there again. I would book earlier or sleep in my car. There was scum in the corners and it smelled like there was a smoking party in there the night before.
The first room they gave us had broken glass under the mattress
on the box spring and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months Disgusting!!!! It's a good thing they had alcohol at the wedding.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShelbyNewYork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva
Hampton Inn Geneva
Hampton Inn Geneva
#3 of 11 in Geneva
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!