“I was seriously bitten by bedbugs!! Be aware!!”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Ottawa, Canada
“I was seriously bitten by bedbugs!! Be aware!!”
Reviewed June 27, 2011

My friend and I were staying at this hotel. The first night was okay, but by the end of the next day I noticed that I had spots on my arms and they were really itching. When I was looking at my arms, I saw a bedbug walking on my bed. I reported this to the frontdesk. They offered me antoher room, but I refused. Finally, they refunded all our stay there and found us another place to stay. I don't think I will ever go back there!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank christine_abela

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Nevada
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Geneva is a beautiful area right in the heart of finger lakes in upstate N.Y, especially in spring. But this place puts a damper on your experience. If you are a seasoned traveller and are used to nice clean hotels with decent amenities this is not your place. I am not talking or expecting luxury. But at $69 a night I do expect a clean fresh room. You certainly don't expect to see dried up body fluid on the head board! Ugh! Our non smoking room smelled like smoke and other odors and was dirty. It was so bad we went out and bought disinfectant wipes to clean the room. The bed spreads looked like they haven't been washed in a century. The guy bellow us smoked so much that I got up at 4 am and went and sat outside to get a breath of fresh air, leaving our door wide open. The none smoking rooms are basically right above smoking rooms!!!!! Why would they do this? Why not put the smokers in a separate area? Don't they understand smoke travels up? I won't even talk about what second hand smoke does to you. By the time we left everything in our possession smelled bad and smokey.

The only thing new was the sink and the hairdryer. The manager was a grumping fellow who doesn't know what it means to smile and has a frown on his forehead at all times. Try calling this place and you are faced with a cold person on the receiving end. He was not accommodating at all.

Unfortunately for us the whole area was booked due to being a holiday weekend and all the college graduations. We had very little notice, we had no choice to be there at this time, and no choice but to stay in this god awful place. And before I forget don't look at the website it is very deceiving. This place doesn't look anything like the photos. Besides the people who are giving it a good review, must be friends with the owner.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank NSTJT

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Booked rooms for my sons gaduation from Hobart. Our family reserved 3 rooms total and they all had an odor. When we drove into the parking lot we knew that this was probably a mistake. The pictures on the internet are misleading. We went to purchase to lysoland candles to offset the smell. We just could not sleep there so we demanded a refund and went and went to the hotel next door. Please try another hotel you will be disappointed with this one.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank seasea1
Reviewed April 24, 2011

At first I was somewhat apprehensive about staying here, as there was a gigantic silverfish on the access panel. However, I decided this was not any indication of the manner in which the hotel is kept up, since I find them in my condo all the time. Clearly, this hotel is a very basic accommodation that has not been updated for quite some time. I thorughly checked all the furniture for bedbugs, and found nothing. The staff person was friendly, the bed sheets were clean, the mattress is decent and comfortable, the room is quiet, includes a mini-refrigerator, a microwave, and free wifi. For $39.99, this place is fine.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank inadvertenttourist
Toronto
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I read the reviews before I booked this place so I was well prepared. Even my husband and daughter were getting anxious when I mentioned about the place and couldn't figure out what got into my head when I booked. Anyways to make a long story short, we were pleasantly surprised. It's not a Hilton but what can you expect to get for the small price you spend at a Finger Lakes motel. Yes the exterior could use a facelift. The door handle opens upwards instead of downwards. Yes there was a rust stain in the bathtub. But the main thing that was good was the bed was darn comfortable. As we were staying one night, we only cared about was a comfortable sleep. The breakfast wasn't much to brag about, but if you really wanted something else you can get it across the street (I think there was a donut place or something) and there was a huge Wegman's across the street, which has muffins.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Penn Yan, New York
Reviewed September 7, 2010

If you can afford to stay anywhere else, do it! Old, needs updating, dirty! The location is on a busy street, but fortunately it's right across the street from a McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts and bagel shop. You'll need it because the continental breakfast is terrible, especially the coffee. There was a full kitchen in our room but no plates or utensils. The room was not completely cleaned after our first night, with the bath mat and towels left on the floor and trash not thrown away. That said, the bed was not too bad and we slept pretty well.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cindy D
Adams, NY
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The room was exceptionally clean and very pleasant. The complementary breakfast was very well attended to and the staff was friendly and very accomodating. We will stay again when in the Geneva area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Hampton Inn Geneva
Hampton Inn Geneva
#2 of 11 in Geneva

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!