“Cottage life!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Geneva
Cobtree Vacation Rental Homes Resort
Ottawa, Canada
“Cottage life!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

If you have kids and haven't tried staying at a cottage instead of in a hotel, you're missing out. What a convenient and relaxing way to travel. Room to spread out. Everyone has their own bedroom. No worries about disturbing other guests or other guests disturbing you. And you have the ability to prepare meals -- if only a good breakfast to start your day.

Cobtree is spectacular. We stayed in Canadice (much larger than we required!) High speed internet, flat-screen TV, FULLY stocked kitchen. The cottage was very clean. The beds were comfortable -- and it's super quiet at night. Each cottage has a barbecue and a lovely porch to picnic on! It was quite warm when we stayed there, so the air conditioning was much appreciated.

There is quick and easy access to Lake Seneca, a short 5 minute drive away. We toured around the entire lake, stopping at wineries, waterfalls (one with a swimming hole), an ice cream shop and the Waterloo Premium Outlets Mall! There is also a marina nearby for watercraft rentals.

Beautiful place. We hope to go back someday!

Room Tip: This would be an amazing cottage for a couple of families travelling together, offering sleeping acc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pelham, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We were very, very happy with our stay at Cobtree. We were up for parents weekend at HWS and, up to this point, had stayed in local hotels which are dismal at best. At Cobtree, we stayed in the Seneca House. From the moment we stepped in the door, we were amazed -- the place was so clean -- and I am picky about clean! The view was amazing. I was so happy we could bring our lab. She is old but seemed reinvigorated by the property -- and the other dogs on site. It was perfect for the weekend with our son.

The second day I was there, I locked myself out accidentally while walking my dog. I called a number on the emergency contact sheet which luckily was posted on the door (rather than in a folder inside or on the fridge!). I had a response immediately and, as promised, within 5 minutes, someone was at the door to unlock it. As it turns out, it was the owner. She was not at all perturbed that I called. (Truth be told, there is no need to lock the door. It is a very safe place.).

The next day, I was out with the dog again and saw her. She was picking plums and apples from the fruit trees. She mentioned that there was a larger plum tree near our house. She gave me 2 beautiful plums which were so juicy! To make a long story short, I came home with enough to make plum jam. The owner could not have been nice nor more accommodating.

Why else would we stay anywhere else?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank DianeCPA400
East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This past weekend 9/20-9/22 2013 I stayed at the Cobtree Homes in Geneva, NY with 18 other friends. We rented three of the cottages, Otisco, Canadice, and, Conesus. We could not have been more pleased with the property. It was extremely clean and well maintained. The kitchens were well stocked for us to cook meals Friday and Saturday night for our entire group. The property is located close to a good number of Wineries as well as Geneva. I would highly recommend these cottages to anyone who is looking for a place to stay with a group of friends.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cobtree, Owner at Cobtree Vacation Rental Homes Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We are very pleased that you enjoyed our accommodations here at Cobtree and that you have taken the time and trouble to post a review here on Tripadvisor so that other potential guests can view what you have to say about the standard and quality of your stay with us was really like. This time of the year is particularly a wonderful time to stay with us at Cobtree as the foliage on the trees and shrubs start to change into the spectacular colors of the fall and the many wineries start to release their new wine vintages. Thank you once again for the generous review and we look forward to your next stay with us here at the Cobtree Vacation Rental Resort, located in the very heart of the Finger Lakes Region of Upstate New York and convenient to the City and town of Geneva.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just stayed at this cottage with a number of my friends from grad school for the wedding of our mutual friend. We had a wonderful time while we were there, and loved the property. It's also beautifully located - while I went out for a morning ride around Canandaigua Lake (Quite hilly, not for the faint of heart!), my partner rode down to the lake for a swim and into Geneva for a relaxed breakfast.

In the excitement of the wedding we managed to lock ourselves out of cottage; the owners' son was preparing a bonfire for other guests nearby, and let us in before we had thought to call them. Finally, I managed to leave my suit behind when we left; the owners were very helpful, found it, and UPS'd it back to me. I would love to return!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ben E
newiggs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

We were visiting the finger lake region from the UK for a week and decided to book the Honeyoe Cabin. Cobtree was a wonderful place to stay. The cabin had everything we could have hoped for and more. The proch was a wonderful place to gather the family for a BBQ! Its a great central location to Geneva for supermarkets and good places to eat.

The bedrooms were spotless, and the washing facilities were a great bonus! I could not have asked for anything else in the cabins. The only thing missing was a pool, which would have been great in the heat, but the lake suited us fine!

It was a great base to explore from. There were plenty of leaflets in the cabin and with the help of the wi-fi which was an added bonus, we have a great holiday! We explored Geneva, Seneca Falls, Watkins Glen, took a trip down to Ithaca and had a great day at the near by water park!

It was very hot when we visited, but with the State Park so close (around 5 miles max), we had no trouble cooling down in the splash zone and the lake.

It is worth noting that the swimming zone at the lake is not always open, but the splash zone seemed to be!

Overall, a wonderful place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cobtree, Owner at Cobtree Vacation Rental Homes Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences at Cobtree during your visit from across the pond!

As I write this response, my wife and I are back in the UK where we too are originally from and where we are now staying with family after 8 years of being in the USA.

As business owners running a quite unique business in the Finger Lakes, we strive to please our guests and to provide the best and cleanest self catering vacation rentals homes in upstate New York. As you have discovered yourself, we offer a base for our guests to go out and about to discover the region which has a tremendous amount of things to offer our guests and things to do.

Clearly, we cannot always get it right and as the old saying goes, you can please most people most of the time but cannot please some people some of the time!

We will continue to try to get it right and to ensure that our guests always have a memorable stay with us at Cobtree.
Modesto, California, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We booked the Canandaguia cabins several months in advance of our visit. It was newly constructed and one of the largest cabins on the premises. We were excited at all the possibilities available for 3 generations of family members that would be accompanying us on our stay. The cabins are very pretty and full of great amenities. Overall very comfortable. The premises are not everything they are cracked up to be. The website talks about hiking trails in the neighboring forests but I did not see any unless you counted one completely overgrown pathway with knee high grass lost in the trees. The bocchi ball court is also hidden from view. The "playground" is very small - a wooden platform with a ladder and a rope. The rest is open space between the houses. There could be so much more. If the trails in the forest were maintained I think people would love to go on some nature walks. The playground could easily be expanded to be a full jungle gym for kids to play on. There is a lot of open space that could contain more games/fire pits etc,. for entertainment purposes.

While it is not explicitly stated, the website does make it seem like the lake is very close by. It is and you can view it easily but the access to it is not there. You have to go to Geneva to get access to the lake. This past week (July 14th-20th) the lake access was closed to swimming at Geneva despite it being the hottest month of the summer. Obviously this is not the fault of the Cobtree but any guests should know that the lake access is not easy despite close proximity to it. Once the Geneva beach was closed there are very few other spots to have access to a beach and to swim in the lake itself which was very frustrating.

Finally, the policies of the lodge are a bit extreme compared to many other places I have stayed. Check out time is 10am sharp which is quite early considering they ask you to have all linens in the wash, all dishes unloaded and put back in proper locations, vacuum the rugs, clean the grill and the stove tops, take trash and recyclables to specific destinations. These are reasonable requests - I just think that given those requests it is more reasonable to have a later checkout time as the standard. When I asked for a late checkout (11am) I was told that would be very difficult to get the room cleaned in time. My point is that with the guests being asked to do that much of the cleaning there is less work for the cleaning staff to do and not as much time required!

Overall, a very nice place to stay. This place is very new and with a few additions to the space this could be a very family friendly place with a lot of entertainment right there for things to do.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shank23
Cobtree, Owner at Cobtree Vacation Rental Homes Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Many thanks for taking the time and trouble to post your review. May I too take a moment to respond to several of your comments? Firstly in regards to the woodland trails that dissect 22 acres of woodlands at Cobtree. These trails criss-cross the woodlands and are old logging trails. We generally keep these mowed and trimmed back but this year has been impossible to do so because of all the rain we have had this year.

We do not have a Bocchi court and neither is one stated anywhere on our web site however, we do offer guests a Bocchi ball set and horse shoe set to play on the open grounds or lawns outside of the property they have rented. We do indeed have a very small play fort for the kids which is also shown on our web site and because of very expensive public liability insurance on its use, do not have any plans to increase the size of it. Sorry about this. There is of course a huge amount of open space for you to play games such as kicking a ball around or other lawn games.

Our web site explicitly states that we have lake views and that we DO NOT have direct lake access. There however, numerous public access points onto Seneca Lake and these are all stated on the what to do page of our web site. There are also public access points and parks on all of the finger lakes as well. For example, Seneca Lake state park, Samson’s state park, Watkins Glen state park, the public beach at Dundee, Indian Pines park (Keuka lake) Red Jacket Park (Keuka Lake) Kershaw park (Canandaigua) just to name a few places to get access to the lake. There is also a marina 1.5 miles away that rents kayaks, canoes and other motor boats too.

Our check out time is 10am in line with most other rental properties in the region although we do offer a 11am late checkout to returning guests. Guests do not need to clean the houses, they simply need to leave the property tidy, dishes either washed or in the dishwasher and any linens, sheets and towels placed next to the washing machine. They do not need to actually place them in the washing machine to wash them as this is all done by our cleaners. We do not therefore charge any cleaning fee as other property owners do.

The what do web page on our own web site is a great resource for anybody planning a trip to the Finger Lakes and at Cobtree we do have three campfire pits and will be increasing this number to 5. Readers of this review and our reply should note however that we offer some of the best accommodations in the region and there is a huge amount of things for people to do around the year as well, Cobtree does have 64 acres of grounds, woodlands and open space in which to enjoy.
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

Pros:
Beds are comfortable.
Location is good for getting around Seneca Lake. Glenora winery is a short drive.

Cons:
Owner.
Ongoing site construction.
View of lake is obstructed (Hemlock cabin).
Road noise from Rt 14 which runs between the lake and the property. (It's a busy road traveled by many truckers.)
Wasps inside cabin.

We stayed at Hemlock cabin the first week of May 2013. We also stayed 2 years ago in the same cabin. During our first stay there was construction going on as the owners are building new cabins. During the first stay the owner's wife came over and apologized for the inconvenience of the construction and gave us a complimentary bottle of wine.

Unfortunately, to our dismay, there was also very active construction going on during this recent stay. We did not complain as we sat on the porch and listened to the constant beep, beep, beep of machinery (back hoes, graders, large rollers, etc.) as well as watching pick up trucks and machinery go by. The construction started at 7:30 am and did not end until 8:30 pm for 2 out of our 3 full days there. The 2nd or 3rd day, a large flat bed truck and back hoe where parked between our cabin and the house in front of the cabin, obstructing the already limited view of the lake. And yet we did not call the owner to complain.

However, on the 3rd day of our stay, the owner came over at 3:00 pm to ask that we move our car so that he could have a load of stone dumped behind our cabin. While I was walking out to move the car, I stated that he must have forgotten that he had guests this week. He responded that there is never a good time to do construction. I then mentioned that I wish I would have known prior to coming that there was going to be active construction. He became very rude, swore at me and told me the information about construction is on the website. He also very loudly complained about my comment to the truck driver. Not wanting to argue with this visibly upset man, I went back into the cabin and checked the website. The only place that construction is noted (and noted vaguely) is in his very rambling blog. He did apologize for his rude behavior later that day by sending me an e-mail and offering 50% off our next mid-week stay. He also sent his wife over with a bottle of wine (deja vu?). She offered to move us to a house closer to the lake but because we were at the end of our stay, we declined her offer.

Aside from our recent experience with the owner the cabin is nice inside. The bedrooms are ample and the beds are comfortable. During our stay the bees and wasps were very active and there were several wasps inside the cabin. This is not a deal breaker but if you hate flying bugs, be aware of this. The kitchen is stocked well enough (but did not have a good corkscrew). The wi-fi connection was sporadic but when it was working it was fast. The view of the lake from the porch of Hemlock is not of the full lake. The 3rd morning at 3:10 am the cabin alarm system went off to let us know there was a power failure. Must have been only a few second interruption because when we got up to check the noise, the power was on.

Overall, not a great experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cityoflight62
Cobtree, Owner at Cobtree Vacation Rental Homes Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
When this guest made her reservation in March of this year, she was clearly informed about the construction work that would be going on into the early spring and, we offered her a sizeable discount for a mid week stay with us. I guess this guest has conveniently forgotton about this or indeed, about the discount that we gave to her!

I have to disagree with the reviewer about views over the lake as all of our properties have views over the lakes but some, better than others.

On this occassion I have to object because I was not rude to this guest at all other than to say after this guest conveniently stated that she knew nothing about the construction work that was going on over the winter and spring, that she was talking hog wash. In fact she had both received a discount from us and the information was on our web site for all and sundry to see and there has been a regular update about the two new homes were were building as well.

However, this guest DID accept the bottle of fine wine we gave to her as an apology and yes, she drank it too. She declined our offer of a 50% discounted stay to be taken at a later date and she declined our offer to move her to another property half way into her stay as well.

This guest never complained to us so we were unaware that there were any problems at all and so were given no opportunity to address them. We knew nothing about there being bees in the cabin (which in the countryside is quite usual anyway at this time of the year and would be which ever property you rented in the countryside) also, every property is supplied with a can of flying insect killer. Had the guest called us with any complaint we would have taken care of the problem as we would always do so.

Regarding the cork screw. We have a ton of good quality corkscrews which we would gladly have taken over for this guest but alas, we do not have a crystal ball to know what the guest wants or what problems they are experiencing unless they tell us! It is not as if we are not nearby to take care of our guests as we live right on site.

Regarding the noise from route 14. Only if the wind is coming from the East would you ever hear the noise of the road. An Easterly wind thankfully is very rare here as the wind is predominantly from the West. Ironically, this was the second time this guest had stayed with us so if this was an issue, why return to stay with us again?

I am sorry that this guest was disattisfied. This despite all of our efforts to pacify the guest and apologize, nothing has been good enough for her. Never the less, our offer of a 50% discounted future stay is still on the table (after all, this guest did stay with us 5 days without any complaint being received until I asked her to move her car the evening priopr to her departure from Cobtree). I can assure everybody reading this response that there will not be any further building works here at Cobtree as we have now completed the development of homes according to our original development plans and planning consents.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Belhurst Castle
Belhurst Castle
#8 of 11 in Geneva
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
BEST WESTERN PLUS Vineyard Inn & Suites
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes

Been to Cobtree Vacation Rental Homes Resort? Share your experiences!