“Pass by this one and go the few extra miles to Canandaigua”
Review of Denny's

Denny's
Ranked #63 of 96 Restaurants in Geneva
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 8, 2013

I had one of the worst dining experiences ever at the Geneva Dennys. I have to say that the place is clean and well decorated but beyond that, everything else is sub-standard. The waiter came over and was friendly, took our orders and then disappeared for a good 15 minutes before we got our drinks. We waited patiently for our meals while the waitresses and waiter(s) loudly messed around at the drink station. I could tell that the family in the corner had some issues with their meals as the waiter was catering to them and the manager went over to address whatever the issue(s) were. Meanwhile, we still waited for our meals with what sounded like Romper Room going on 5 feet from us. After what seemed like forever, our meals came out. I had specifically told the waiter I wanted my hash browns "well done, like almost burnt". He put a plate in front of me with a glob of white hash browns with one small tan area and asked "is this well done enough?" to which I replied "do they look nearly burnt to you?". Although he took them back, I am at a loss as to why he even bothered to bring them to me in the first place. The manager came over to bring the new orders over, which still could've cooked longer and make a feeble attempt to excuse the glaring error as a "matter of perception". I wasn't having any of that and asked him, how "nearly burnt" could be interpreted as "lightly browned" by BOTH the cook AND the waiter, to which he had no answer and merely repeated it is a matter of interpretation. I was appalled that he was more interested in making excuses than apologizing and perhaps acting to coach to his staff about being more aware of what is requested and what is then taken from the kitchen and placed on the table. We had also mentioned that it sounded like the staff was more interested in messing around with each other than doing their jobs, which he didn't address with us but we then overheard derogatory comments from the staff in question directed at us.

I get that this isn't fine dining but there is a basic level of service that is to be expected when dining out, no matter where you go and this place failed in every way possible from cook to waiter to management. Needless to say, we didn't leave a tip as the service was awful. Quite frankly, they should've paid us to dine there and put up with their crap. We felt like we were crashing their party.

We will drive the couple extra miles to Canandaigua Denny's in the future.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I would normally refrain from writing a review about a bargain priced restaurant chain, but the service was worth special praise. We ate breakfast here two days in a row last year during the Deck the Halls Wine Tour on Seneca Lake and was waited on by Nichole. She was the sweetest! One year later, we returned to Denny's for the same wine tour, and Nichole actually remembered us (we remembered her too, but you don't expect a waitress to remember people a whole year later after only serving them for a couple of hours total). Food was standard Denny's....nothing to write home about, we didn't order anything unusual, but when the waitstaff is so especially kind and attentive, you just can't help but want to give a good review.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I have no idea what happened. My friends and I decided that we were going to go to Denny's late for fun and a lot of us had a great experience in the past, including myself. But for some reason, the service was awful! Our waitress almost forgot to take my friends order and joked around about it, then instead of getting our drinks right away, we waited for a good 15 minutes before it came to our table. On top of that, she forgot my friends drink and she had to wait even longer. So after that we chatted and waited for our food for a good 20 minutes, and even then half of our orders were completely wrong and some of us didn't even get our orders until 10 minutes after everyone else. No apology was said either. It was just mass confusion trying to figure who had what. The worst part of the night was we had to ask the manager for our check since our waitress never checked on us and when we got it, everything was wrong. She put the drinks in one section, and messed all of our orders up. The manager had to figure everything out for us since the waitress wasn't even available and you could tell the manager was furious. The nice part was she did give some of us discounts because of it, well that and she was so angry she had to be doing it. I used to love coming to this Denny's, but it was just an awful experience. After this, it might just sound even easier to travel to canandaigua than Geneva from school..

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We ate two meals at this Denny's and enjoyed them both. The wait staff was very friendly and we enjoyed the ambience. Very clean and well maintained.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Right across the street from our motel. Nothing out of the ordinary. I'ts a Denny's afterall. typical for the chain.