“Do you appreciate historic value?”

White Springs Manor
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Waterloo, New York
“Do you appreciate historic value?”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

After reading comments about the White Springs Manor I was very nervous about my reservation. When we arrived at the manor the driveway was plowed but the steps were not shoveled (there was not that much snow on the steps however). We stayed in the Lee room. We noticed that there was no dvd player and called the desk at Belhurst to ask about one since the website had said there was one and we brought movies. We were very surprised when a manager himself showed up about 45 minutes later with a brand new out of the box dvd player for us. He was very apologetic and helped us hook up the player which he had just run to the store and purchased. The room was clean. While there were a few carpet spots which could be easily cleaned if someone spent the time, they were pretty small and were really only noticed because I was looking for them based on other reviews. The trim around the jacuzzi could definitely be updated as it looks a bit run down. We visited the castle and had lunch at Stonecutters. The meal was delicious and not super expensive. My husband got a massage while I got my haircut in the Isabella Spa. The receptionist at the desk in the spa was pretty miserable looking and as we sat and waited for our services I could hear her huffing. The rest of the staff in the spa were great. The massage started late (we arrived early but she came down late) but she did perform the entire 50 minutes despite.

As for the manor, you have to appreciate the fact that you are staying in a historic manor built in 1901 (or something like that). Things are not perfect and pretty but it has beautiful charm to it. From the Lee room you can see out to the lake and a vineyard as you sit in the jacuzzi tub! Gas fireplace was easy to use and created a romantic ambiance in the evening.

Definitely a bit overpriced but it was perfect for our romantic weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristens723

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Chautauqua, New York
Reviewed September 17, 2010

I have to agree with some of the other reviews. Some furninshings were nasty, and sort of "dumpy"... but the alternative was a room at the Ramada Inn for about the same price... I said to my husband..let's go for the nostalgia and history. It was neat to think about the families that had lived there,with the working farms that had been there years ago. We like history and antiquated buildings.
The check in at the Belhurst was not very helpful. We were not informed of any of the ammenities that may have been available, and for $150. a night, I thought there should have been. The room had stained carpeting, and some of the other furnishings there were not from the period, and just looked like they were picked up at a flea market. Kind of tacky. It wasn't real clean either. The pillow was stained and felt like it was from the local Dollar store.
We liked the history, and nostalgia... it's a neat place, and the property is beautiful. However definitely NOT worth the price. I felt it should have been maybe $90. at the most for the over-all service, furnishings and comfort.

I a

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Geneva hotels

Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the White Springs property associated with the Belhurst Castle for our second anniversary. We were booked in the Lewis suite. After reading several of the reviews, I was quite nervous about what we would expect. My husband booked the trip without reading reviews. If I had read the reviews, we wouldn't have stayed at this location. Keeping the reviews in mind, I prepared myself for what I thought was going to be a bad experience. I was wrong. I gree with other reviewers that it would have been nice to have hotel staff available at the manor. The girl who checked us in at the Belhurst Castle was a bit clueless as to the questions we asked. The girl at the desk the next day, was more than helpful. When we arrived at the manor which is less than a 5 minute drive from Belhurst, the lawn was cut and perfectly manicured. The front door was recently painted but the painter did a poor job scraping the old paint and you could tell it was a rush job. There was a dead plant hanging by the door. I looked up and became very concerned when I saw partially opened windows and what looked like a sheet or broken shade covering one window. You could smell fresh paint, however. (The room being renovated was directly above ours. We couldn't smell paint and only briefly heard the noise of someone working above us.) Unlike others, we had no problem with our keys. The first impression when we walked in wasn't great. It was dark and kind of creepy. There was no musty smell. The "lobby" was clean although the carpet needs to be changed. Our room was huge. I didn't expect the Lewis suite to be two full size rooms. The dark woodwork and mauve paint did make the rooms seem dark. There were plenty of windows and lamps in each room. The carpets in both rooms were stained. The TV in the sitting room had better channel selections than the one in the bedroom, but the bedroom TV was equipped with a DVD player. There was a small refrigerator in the room with a coffee pot. I didn't see an honor bar. The jacuzzi tub was huge. At first I thought it was odd that the bathroom sink was in the bedroom but, there was an air conditioning/heating vent in the bathroom where the sink would have to be. The air conditioning worked just fine. The bed was comfortable with clean lines although you need to use the provided step stool to get on it. It isn't a bed for someone afraid of falling out. Extra pillows and blankets were in the armoire. Fortunately, we are early risers because the bright morning sun woke us about 5:30am. Curtains covering the upper lead inlaid windows would have been nice although the would have taken away from the period charm. The veranda which was the original main enterance to the house had large wood deck chairs where my husband and I sat and sipped wine while enjoying the view and the silence. It was then that I began to appreciate the house and surroundings and tried to imagine what it was like in years gone by. If you are looking for modern and bright, this isn't the place for you. If you can appreciate old charm, then I would definitely stay in the Lewis suite.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank weluv2travel7408
Denton, Maryland
Reviewed July 2, 2010

On 6/17/10 2 of my sisters & I stayed overnight in White Springs Manor associated with Belhurst Castle, Geneva, NY. 1 sister & I had a so-so lunch buffet in Edgars Rest. at Belhurst. The 2 of us then had complimentary wine tasting in main Castle wine/gift shop-it was great. Then joined 3rd sister for an afternoon at the Isabella Spa (a beautiful spa/salon facility also in the Castle)-great massages although we couldn't enjoy showers because, by this time, there was a water main break. This wan't their fault. Front desk helped us change our dinner reservations (which were supposed to be at Stonecutter's Rest. at the Castle facility) when we asked for help for that evening to Halsey's Rest. on Seneca St. in Geneva, NY. That meal was fabulous. We got there by cab because our rental car brokedown in parking lot and Belhurst has no arrangements for guests in similiar situations. The Nicholas Suite in White Springs Manor (more than 3 mi. from Belhurst) mirrored the outside of the facility. Outside was peeling paint, dead plants and flowers, unkempt lawn-thank God for the great view of lake-neighboring beautiful homes must be mortified. The Nicholas Suite was dirty. Carpet stains galore, windows wouldn't open in den, air vent in ceiling hanging by 1 screw, permanent stains in grout of bathroom floor, toilet bowl so full of stains and scratches you couldn't tell it was once pink, there were bugs of several kinds (some live, which we killed & 1 dead cockroach), the shower (the shower ONLY was newly remodelled??) didn't drain between the 3 showers, we were awakened at 2 a.m. by a horrible noise that lasted more than 10 minutes-found out next morning it was fire alarm-station on the other side of a stand of trees which we could not see from the Manor. If we had a working vehicle we would have checked out (demanding $$'s back-prepaid more than a month in advance $215 plus tax) & gone to the Ramada. On 6/18, we walked up to the main Castle (told it was 1.5 mi away-it was over 3) where we were told by phone before leaving the Suite (if you want to call it that) breakfast was still being served-it wasn't; we had cold danish and coffee in the lobby while waiting for the replacement car rental-in fact, the staff both on the phone & in person gave us numerous pcs. of mis-information about their own facility & offered no help to 3 stranded ladies. We checked out and asked to speak to person-in-charge; we calmly/quietly explained our list of complaints and were countered by the young man with arguments to everything. Plain & simple, this facility (which he let slip has been owned for more than 10 yrs by Belhurst) is too shabby/dirty & in disrepair to be renting out at any price!!! He did finally give a certificate to the sister who had the charge put on her card for a free night in a REGULAR room for up to a year (but she lives in Calif.-besides w/no assurance they would be cleaning things up-by the way, he had the gall to say it was clean!?!- why would she want to stay there again and what about the other 2 sisters???). This same sister had stayed in the Belhurst Castle facility 5 years earlier & had a high expectation going into this stay. After reading other reviews under this facility and Belhurst, I can honestly say that I would never get a room, suite or free-standing cottage rental from these folks again. Whoever owns this set of facilities needs to wake up & smell the coffee, slow economy or not, I really don't know how you sleep at night (obviously not in the Nicholas Suite)!! By the way, kudos to Hertz Rent-A-Car for making things more than right for the rest of our stay and for their follow-up call and "making things right" certificate.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank threesisters_03
Clementon NJ
Reviewed March 23, 2010

When I booked a room here, I unfortunately did not read the reviews for the manor, but for Belhurst itself. I see the reviews were mixed.
I feel that we were mislead-the website is not entirely accurate. White Springs Manor reminds me of an old house in a horror movie! Peeling paint, darkness and mustiness make for a very bad atmosphere.
We checked on on Friday night at Belhurst castle. There is no desk and no one at the manor. We were given two keys-the exterior is kept locked at all times. Should have tipped me off.
We arrived with at the same time as several other couples. We had trouble getting the door unlocked. The first thing I noticed was the peeling paint on the exterior. According to reviews here, this has been this way for quite some time. At $175.00 a night, I expect pristine conditions.
We stayed in the Living Room. The main reason we stayed at the manor is that it is one of the few rooms that have a King size bed.
The building smelled musty. I realize it is old, but please. The room was clean. The linens smelled fresh though.
The fireplace was gas-and it cycled on and off all night long. How odd. It wasn't the main source of heat. The first night, we didn't see the thermostat, and assumed we could not control the temperature. After we moved the coffee pot from its ridiculous place on top of the tiny refrigerator, we found it, hidden behind a lamp. It seemed almost that this was done on purpose.
The bathroom is downstairs in the basement-and it is bitter cold. To my shock, there was no door on the bathroom! Hope you and your partner are comfortable with each other. This is very disconcerting to me. There was no vanity, only a small sink. No room for toiletries.
The shower had no water pressure. I had fun getting the shampoo out of my very thick hair. The hair dryer was useless.
When we arrived, the curtains were open. One of the windows was above the winding staircase. My husband had to stand on a very narrow ledge to close the curtain. Dangerous!
There is a motion light at the foot of the stairs-bring a flash light. It flicks on and off constantly.
The jacuzzi was a joke-not nearly big enough for two people. We are average size-it was very uncomfortable, and very noisy. One of our neighbors was in theirs at all hours of the night and it kept me awake. The walls are very thin.
If you like a firm mattress, forget it. I think the bed was original.....
The TV is on the far right of the room, not so great if you sleep in the opposite side of the bed. No DVD player, just a VCR.
I realize now I should have stayed in the castle itself. It looked much more comfortable.
The drive was only about two minutes away, and both restaurants were good. These will be reviewed separately.
I agree with one reviewer here; breakfast should have been complimentary. We did not wait for the brunch-it starts at 11am-much too late if you want to get an early start.
I would not recommend staying here. Hotels are few and far between in the area so choose carefully!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank antiqueIthink
syracuse, ny
Reviewed November 15, 2009

if you are looking for an old paint peeling off the walls type of place...this is it!!! We will never go back...WAY over priced for 150/night I didnt sleep bc the squirrels in the walls kept us up!!!!!!!!!!! Very Creepy place! The pictures and website is misleading.....needs HUGE renovation!!!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Need2LearnSpanish
Reviewed August 6, 2009

The White Springs Manor is owned and operated by Belhurst Castle. To check in, you must first go to the castle and then proceed 2 miles to the inn. What a beautiful place!! Nice brick building with a great porch and a wonderful view of the lake and vineyard. My husband and I stayed in the living room. It had a great big, comfortable bed, wonderful gas fireplace and jacuzzi for two. The bathroom was downstairs in the basement, which was somewhat awkward, but probably done to preserve the integrity of the architecture. We had a great view of the lake from our room, however we wished we had some blackout blinds, as the house faces east, and we were woken very early when the sun came up and brightened the whole room. There were nice bath and body works toiletries, robes, slippers and other things you might need like a sewing kit, toothbrushes and razor. A few downfalls - there was no desk or staff at all at the inn, so if you needed anything you would have to call Belhurst and hope they sent someone up. Also, for the price of the room, I would have hoped that there would be a breakfast - even continental - included. You'd might be better off staying at a bed and breakfast if you need an early morning meal. All in all, the room was very clean (even smelled clean when you walked inn), very quiet, very comfortable - great place for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple