“This was the worst hotel/inn I have ever stayed in-in more than 45 years.”

White Springs Manor
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 2, 2010

On 6/17/10 2 of my sisters & I stayed overnight in White Springs Manor associated with Belhurst Castle, Geneva, NY. 1 sister & I had a so-so lunch buffet in Edgars Rest. at Belhurst. The 2 of us then had complimentary wine tasting in main Castle wine/gift shop-it was great. Then joined 3rd sister for an afternoon at the Isabella Spa (a beautiful spa/salon facility also in the Castle)-great massages although we couldn't enjoy showers because, by this time, there was a water main break. This wan't their fault. Front desk helped us change our dinner reservations (which were supposed to be at Stonecutter's Rest. at the Castle facility) when we asked for help for that evening to Halsey's Rest. on Seneca St. in Geneva, NY. That meal was fabulous. We got there by cab because our rental car brokedown in parking lot and Belhurst has no arrangements for guests in similiar situations. The Nicholas Suite in White Springs Manor (more than 3 mi. from Belhurst) mirrored the outside of the facility. Outside was peeling paint, dead plants and flowers, unkempt lawn-thank God for the great view of lake-neighboring beautiful homes must be mortified. The Nicholas Suite was dirty. Carpet stains galore, windows wouldn't open in den, air vent in ceiling hanging by 1 screw, permanent stains in grout of bathroom floor, toilet bowl so full of stains and scratches you couldn't tell it was once pink, there were bugs of several kinds (some live, which we killed & 1 dead cockroach), the shower (the shower ONLY was newly remodelled??) didn't drain between the 3 showers, we were awakened at 2 a.m. by a horrible noise that lasted more than 10 minutes-found out next morning it was fire alarm-station on the other side of a stand of trees which we could not see from the Manor. If we had a working vehicle we would have checked out (demanding $$'s back-prepaid more than a month in advance $215 plus tax) & gone to the Ramada. On 6/18, we walked up to the main Castle (told it was 1.5 mi away-it was over 3) where we were told by phone before leaving the Suite (if you want to call it that) breakfast was still being served-it wasn't; we had cold danish and coffee in the lobby while waiting for the replacement car rental-in fact, the staff both on the phone & in person gave us numerous pcs. of mis-information about their own facility & offered no help to 3 stranded ladies. We checked out and asked to speak to person-in-charge; we calmly/quietly explained our list of complaints and were countered by the young man with arguments to everything. Plain & simple, this facility (which he let slip has been owned for more than 10 yrs by Belhurst) is too shabby/dirty & in disrepair to be renting out at any price!!! He did finally give a certificate to the sister who had the charge put on her card for a free night in a REGULAR room for up to a year (but she lives in Calif.-besides w/no assurance they would be cleaning things up-by the way, he had the gall to say it was clean!?!- why would she want to stay there again and what about the other 2 sisters???). This same sister had stayed in the Belhurst Castle facility 5 years earlier & had a high expectation going into this stay. After reading other reviews under this facility and Belhurst, I can honestly say that I would never get a room, suite or free-standing cottage rental from these folks again. Whoever owns this set of facilities needs to wake up & smell the coffee, slow economy or not, I really don't know how you sleep at night (obviously not in the Nicholas Suite)!! By the way, kudos to Hertz Rent-A-Car for making things more than right for the rest of our stay and for their follow-up call and "making things right" certificate.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank threesisters_03

Reviewed March 23, 2010

When I booked a room here, I unfortunately did not read the reviews for the manor, but for Belhurst itself. I see the reviews were mixed.
I feel that we were mislead-the website is not entirely accurate. White Springs Manor reminds me of an old house in a horror movie! Peeling paint, darkness and mustiness make for a very bad atmosphere.
We checked on on Friday night at Belhurst castle. There is no desk and no one at the manor. We were given two keys-the exterior is kept locked at all times. Should have tipped me off.
We arrived with at the same time as several other couples. We had trouble getting the door unlocked. The first thing I noticed was the peeling paint on the exterior. According to reviews here, this has been this way for quite some time. At $175.00 a night, I expect pristine conditions.
We stayed in the Living Room. The main reason we stayed at the manor is that it is one of the few rooms that have a King size bed.
The building smelled musty. I realize it is old, but please. The room was clean. The linens smelled fresh though.
The fireplace was gas-and it cycled on and off all night long. How odd. It wasn't the main source of heat. The first night, we didn't see the thermostat, and assumed we could not control the temperature. After we moved the coffee pot from its ridiculous place on top of the tiny refrigerator, we found it, hidden behind a lamp. It seemed almost that this was done on purpose.
The bathroom is downstairs in the basement-and it is bitter cold. To my shock, there was no door on the bathroom! Hope you and your partner are comfortable with each other. This is very disconcerting to me. There was no vanity, only a small sink. No room for toiletries.
The shower had no water pressure. I had fun getting the shampoo out of my very thick hair. The hair dryer was useless.
When we arrived, the curtains were open. One of the windows was above the winding staircase. My husband had to stand on a very narrow ledge to close the curtain. Dangerous!
There is a motion light at the foot of the stairs-bring a flash light. It flicks on and off constantly.
The jacuzzi was a joke-not nearly big enough for two people. We are average size-it was very uncomfortable, and very noisy. One of our neighbors was in theirs at all hours of the night and it kept me awake. The walls are very thin.
If you like a firm mattress, forget it. I think the bed was original.....
The TV is on the far right of the room, not so great if you sleep in the opposite side of the bed. No DVD player, just a VCR.
I realize now I should have stayed in the castle itself. It looked much more comfortable.
The drive was only about two minutes away, and both restaurants were good. These will be reviewed separately.
I agree with one reviewer here; breakfast should have been complimentary. We did not wait for the brunch-it starts at 11am-much too late if you want to get an early start.
I would not recommend staying here. Hotels are few and far between in the area so choose carefully!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank antiqueIthink
Reviewed November 15, 2009

if you are looking for an old paint peeling off the walls type of place...this is it!!! We will never go back...WAY over priced for 150/night I didnt sleep bc the squirrels in the walls kept us up!!!!!!!!!!! Very Creepy place! The pictures and website is misleading.....needs HUGE renovation!!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2009

The White Springs Manor is owned and operated by Belhurst Castle. To check in, you must first go to the castle and then proceed 2 miles to the inn. What a beautiful place!! Nice brick building with a great porch and a wonderful view of the lake and vineyard. My husband and I stayed in the living room. It had a great big, comfortable bed, wonderful gas fireplace and jacuzzi for two. The bathroom was downstairs in the basement, which was somewhat awkward, but probably done to preserve the integrity of the architecture. We had a great view of the lake from our room, however we wished we had some blackout blinds, as the house faces east, and we were woken very early when the sun came up and brightened the whole room. There were nice bath and body works toiletries, robes, slippers and other things you might need like a sewing kit, toothbrushes and razor. A few downfalls - there was no desk or staff at all at the inn, so if you needed anything you would have to call Belhurst and hope they sent someone up. Also, for the price of the room, I would have hoped that there would be a breakfast - even continental - included. You'd might be better off staying at a bed and breakfast if you need an early morning meal. All in all, the room was very clean (even smelled clean when you walked inn), very quiet, very comfortable - great place for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2009

The only really good thing about this place was the view over vineyards to Seneca Lake. The room appeared cute at first, but ultimately disappointed. Only two pillows on the bed, so no good way for two people to prop up and read. Plus, needed another lamp in case the person on right side of bed wanted to read. Lights on overhead fixture probably put out 3 foot-candles of light.

Odd bathroom, with the toilet up five steps and around the corner. Considering its location, they could have easily closed it in, allowing two people to use the bathroom at once.

The worst thing was the overall condition of the building's exterior--peelilng paint, weeds and dead plants. Plus, cigarette butts on the terrace overlooking the lake. We stayed two nights and the butts never got picked up. A sign was up in tne dreary lobby, something to the effect of "Pardon the mess while we fix the place up". But NO worked occurred while we were there, and this was on weekdays.

On checkout I registered some of these complaints and was told that they were working on the building. Not to my eyes! Paintng should have been done before the high season, and cig butts should not be there at all. (Granted, some of the blame for that rests with the slobs who put them there in the first place. There were butt receptacles.)

I would hope that rooms in the main Belhurst castle were better, but can't really say.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We enjoyed staying at the White Springs Manor. It is very private and relaxing. The property is located about 3 minutes away from the Belhurst Castle. My parents were staying right at the castle at the Venifer Inn but we decided to stay at the White Springs as the rates were within our budget. We stayed in the Music Room which was awesome. Although the Manor caters to romantic getaways we had our 12 year old daughter with us we had a family party at Edgars the following day. The music room fit us perfectly especially since you have a winding staircase to the bathroom were the jacuzzi and bathroom and it was separate from the sleeping room. In the lower level you had the honor bar, coffee maker, mirred closet and bathroom.. PERFECT...
The exterior of the premises needed a little work... for example we took a walk to the pond and it had a boardwalk leading to a gazebo located in the middle of the pond. There were a few weeds around it.. and some peeling paint... but it in no way would stop us from coming back again. We had dinner at Stonecutters which is at the Belhurst Castle, which features tavern food- mostly sandwiches and reasonable prices.
We enjoyed our time there and will make plans to go again. There is also a gift shop, winary, and The Fingerlakes Outlet Mall very near the Castle.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 22, 2008

This was our second trip to the Manor. We enjoyed it more this year than last. Last year we stayed in the "Living Room" which was wonderful for our first trip, the jazzuci and the fireplace plus the full length original mirror made us want more. We stayed on Mother's Day weekend last year and were the only ones there. What a HUGE house to have all to yourselves. We stayed April 21st and 22nd this year and again were the only ones in the manor. What a steel of a price for the Lewis Suite in celebration of our 20th wedding anniversary. The room was so comfortable and private with its seperate room with a tv that we both we able to enjoy ourselves to the fullest. We are looking to go back next year again with friends this time. I hope that Belhurst will spend the extra money that is needed to repair some much needed items on the exterior of the buidling so that it does not lose its charm. This is a piece of history that everyone should enjoy at some point. Plus you are in the heart of wine country. What more could anyone ask for? In addition, The Stonecutters Tavern at the Castle is a must. The food quality for the dollar is fantastic.

Stayed: April 2008