“Vinifera”
Review of Belhurst Castle

Belhurst Castle
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed April 25, 2014

We spent 2 nights and enjoyed the experience. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The first night we ate at Stonecutters. The food was delicious. the next 2 mornings we had the brunch at Edgars. Again the food was delicious and our waitress was very friendly and seemed like she really enjoyed her job. The only thing we had a problem with was the "wine tap" in the Castle Chambers. You had to use the key to your room to open the door of the tap. Because we were staying in the Vinifera, our key wouldn't fit. We were staying on the premises and think that as long as you're staying in one of their buildings, you should also have access to this tap.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We stayed in a garret room in the Vinifera and enjoyed our experience there. Jacuzzi suite, gas fireplace. Staff were helpful and attentive. The lake views are quite picturesque. We laughed when told the tale about "whale watching"! Wifi is only in the lobby area. Complimentary wine tasting was included (Riesling is best) and we found the breakfast buffet to be plentiful and omelettes, made to order, delicious. We ate one night at Stonecutters, one at Edgars. Stonecutters is better for the price. The history of the castle is fascinating and there are booklets on site to learn more. The drive around Lake Seneca is well worth the 2 hours. Lots of wineries to visit too.

Room Tip: We changed our reservation from the Castle to Vinifera to have a larger, quieter room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanadiantravellerTO
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have not yet stayed at the Belhurst and am already turned off. Family wedding in one week. The members of our family made reservations for a wedding as early as 1 + year ago . The intention was for family from various locales to spent a great time together. Upon calling to request a cot in one room, I was informed that one of the rooms was given to another person. Quinn , the "business " manager informed me that it was their error and yes they did have the room deposit, however it was no longer available to us. The room had been given to someone else even though they had our deposit longer. Further, we had yet to receive notification or a refund. The refund was quickly dealt with today fully 14 months later.
What can I say about poor business practice and the attitude which was arrogant. I am biting my tongue, but probably tripadvisor is my best platform.
Oh yes, when informed that we intended to write tripadvisor the response was basically so what.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
11  Thank Judy H
Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I just spent 2 nights at the Belhurst. From the friendly front desk staff to each of the waiters, bartenders and hostesses, we felt welcomed and honored.
The rooms were spacious and clean, but the views of the lake with the full moon rising and reflected on the water was spectacular.
We enjoyed the wonderful ambience of both the Stonecutters Bar and Lounge and Edgars Restaurant for dinner. The food was well prepared and well presented.
Did I say how gorgeous the views were from all of the venues?
We drive several times a year from our home to Montreal and decided to take time to smell the roses, so glad we did. This is truly a special place!

Room Tip: wifi in lobby and Stonecutters Lounge but not in rooms. Lake view rooms a must! there is a train tr...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We spent two nights at the Belhurst Castle and loved the experience. The history of the castle adds to its charm. Imagine sleeping in an illegal gambling casino. Our room was spacious and attractively decorated. The staff were friendly and helpful, insuring that our stay was wonderful experience, unexpected as we were there during the off season. Well worth the trip and on our check list for a return visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Will_McGuire
Reviewed February 14, 2014

We stayed in Dwyer Suite from Tuesday till Friday, we leave today at 11am. Ya you can find flaws in the room, but the room is very nice! Free wine spigot is great! Even though it comes out very fast! I made a huge mess... When I called the desk to apologize, they were very nice about it :) The staff here is friendly, and professional... I was able to walk around the whole castle to take pics, I will share some of them on this site. The buffets are excellent! I love the gift shop, the wine tasting was a nice touch... I loved my stay here, we plan on coming back this summer!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank CMNichols
Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed in the so-called castle in sept 13.My ill feeling about this place has been festering since so I decided to write this review.Our room was indeed castlelike if you enjoy dust, fixtures hanging loose from the walls,trim not mitered, gas lines improperly installed etc. Worst of all was the overworked room a/c. It had to be a Goodwill reject.It was expertly installed using a copious amount of duct tape. I tried to tell the mgr.about all of this but was told he was out of town,no doubt staying at a nice place.The free wine helped dull the pain. The restaurants were very good,however,and the place overall is impressive.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank chazbeau
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
#1 of 4 in Penn Yan

Been to Belhurst Castle? Share your experiences!