“Fairy Tale Experience In The Castle!”
Review of Belhurst Castle

Belhurst Castle
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Staten Island, New York
“Fairy Tale Experience In The Castle!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went to the Belhurst Castle in the Finger Lakes, in Geneva, New York, as part of my ongoing birthday celebration. What a wonderful and unusual place to celebrate a special occasion. So different from the usual Motels or Hotels. Although our sleeping accommodations were in White Springs Manor, when not sight seeing, we spent our time at "The Castle". It was a wonderful experience to see this beautiful Castle with the magnificent wood staircase and trim throughout. The antiques and paintings displayed were lovely. The grounds magnificent and Lake Senaca beautiful. The White Springs Manor was two miles away. Although we were in the "Pond View" room - you had to stretch your neck to see any part of the Pond at all. The room was decorated in a Victorian type motif and had a gas fireplace and a Jacuzzi. Unfortunately, we were unable to shut the fireplace off and it kept going on and off all night long. The drapes on the windows were very thin and so we were awakened very early each morning by the sunlight streaming in. As in most Hotels or Motels, the amount of soap that is given was very sparse. We were so busy that we never got to the gift shop where we would have purchased wine glasses with the Belhurst Castle logo. They were displayed on the fireplace in our room, but of course, I wouldn't just take them. The one negative about this stay was that there wasn't any elevator in The Castle or in White Springs Manor, although I believe there was one in an addition to the Castle. I think this important fact should be noted on their web site - I didn't see that. I would definitely recommend this get away if you are looking for something out of the ordinary.

Room Tip: If you cannot easily climb steps, ask for a room on the first floor because of the lack of elevator...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taxiluv2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

Overall my wife and I had a wonderful time.

We stayed in the carriage house our first night. A quaint stand alone cottage. Clean if a little dated. It is over 100 years old. So nothing unexpected. The next night we stayed on the third floor in one of the jacuzzi rooms. A fantastic view. Large room with a large bathroom.

The rooms could both use an update, new carpet, and fresh paint would go along way.

We had the breakfast buffet both mornings. Great selections and a great price. I have stayed at upscale "modern" hotels and paid three times as much for less. We also ate at Stonecutters which is the on site bar lounge. We were both a fan of the food and the ambiance.

The grounds are perfectly maintained. The staff was not stuffy. We found them to be very friendly.

If you are expecting cookie cutter rooms that get corporates updates every five years you may be disappointed. If you like some character you will not be disappointed.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom F
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here with a Travelzoo voucher and I can't say enough about how much we loved it! We were in the Vinifera Inn, with a huge room overlooking the gorgeous lake and in close proximity to lots of great wineries. The bed was comfortable and the grounds are gorgeous. We had dinner at Edgar's our first night and it was absolutely delicious. I did not find the cleanliness problems that some other reviewers mentioned. Our only complaint was that the breakfast buffet (very reasonable at $10 each) was only so-so. Most food cold, not a lot of flavor. We skipped it the second morning. Otherwise, I can't say enough good things about them!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
North Tonawanda, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Before the whirlwind of the impending birth of my grandtwins, the BF and I decided to get away for the weekend and enjoy some much needed 'alone time'. We were referred to the Belhurst Castle by some good friends and it fit the bill perfectly. Only an hour and a half from Buffalo, NY and right in the middle of the Finger Lakes wine country, we arrived on a Friday evening and were greeted with a 'free' wine-tasting in their on-site store. We then made our way to our room on the third floor (no elevator but NOT a problem, as the grand staircase is not steep and does not have too many steps in each section). It was absolutely HUGE with what I believe to be 16' ceilings, a private balcony and updated bathroom. The king-sized bed was ornately carved (not very comfy, but I didn't mind...we were staying in a castle!) and had castle-shaped chocolates laid out on the pillows. We made our way to one of the on-site restaurants, Stonecutter's, where I tried some of their special blend of iced tea (with a kick!) and enjoyed possibly the BEST sandwich I have ever eaten. 'The Northeastern' is shaved roast turkey, double cream brie with a blueberry reduction, served on an onion roll. That threw me at first but once I tasted it, I was in heaven! The rest of the overnight stay was very pleasant and I can't say enough about the quality of the food and the attentiveness of the staff. And don't forget the wine spigot on the 2nd floor! I will definitley return, even if it's only for that sandwich. Delicious!

Room Tip: If you want the true castle experience, stay in the Chambers and request a room facing Seneca Lake...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LucyndaB
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Belhurst. Our room in the Inn was large, overlooking the lake, with a fireplace, whirlpool tub, loveseat and TV, and every amenity you could wish for. Our lunch at the Stonecutter was excellent and breakfast buffet in Edgar's was varied and delicious. Try the scrambled eggs with crab and asparagus - yummy! Sitting around the firepit in the evening left everyone feeling warm and cozy! We had a wonderful anniversary dinner, thanks to Cecilia and a great chef. Cecilia moved us to a very quiet part of the restaurant (our own private dining room) made great suggestions for a delicious, well prepared and presented meal, then offered us gratis dessert and followed that up with chocolate dipped strawberries to take back to our room. What great service! Ashley, at the reception desk was super as well, and took the time to give us a tour of the castle. We love the property, thank the very friendly staff for showing us a wonderful mini-vacation, and will be sure to visit there again!

pennsylvania
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Every time my husband & I visit the wineries at Seneca Lake, we always stay at Belhurst Castle. We usually stay in the Vinifera rooms. The rooms are huge and include a Jacuzzi tub. Each room has a terrific view of the lake. The castle itself is amazing. We love walking around the castle and exploring all the rooms. If you ask any of the staff, they will usually give you a lot of information about the castle's history and some will give you descriptions of the different rooms in the castle. There is a restaurant in the castle and also a bar/lounge. If the weather is nice, take a walk around the grounds or just sit outside and enjoy the lake view. There is a nice large firepit outside to sit at if it's chilly at night. The castle also has a spa and it's own winery section for tastings. I highly recommend it when visiting Seneca Lake.

Room Tip: All Vinifera rooms are huge and have standard features. I noticed that each room has a different la...
1 Thank shannon1012
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We always stay at "the castle" and have since 1982. We love the older part. Yes, it is dated..... but....... it is romantic and quaint. We have stayed in every room in the castle except the bridal suite. Our favorites are the bronze room (wine spigot right outside) the billiard room (has a small balcony) and the otis suite. Large enough for family to "hang" The grounds are nice, always a wedding on Sat it seems. Dinner is ok.... about the best you get in the town unless you go next door to the neighboring resort. I guess we just love it as it has been "our place" for a getaway for a long long time and will continue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva
The Gould Hotel
The Gould Hotel
#2 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Belhurst Castle? Share your experiences!