“Great wedding”
Review of Belhurst Castle

Belhurst Castle
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We had our wedding here in june. They have numerous bridal suites so we had our choice of rooms. Our room was beautiful. It overlooked seneca lake. The wedding was great. Carmen did everything she promised on our big day.

Some reviews on here almost seem made up. We have been to the property at least 6 times in the past year staying in both sides of the resort. The staff has always been grear as has the food at edgars. Our rooms are always clean.

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed January 9, 2012

My friend had been planning her wedding at the Belhurst. As soon as they got her money they will not contact her, forgot she asked for a room there (in fact, will give her NO ROOM AT ALL to stay in for her wedding night!) Seriously, the bride and groom have nowhere to stay anywhere on your property and the wedding is still 8 months away? She asked for a certain room, the tower suite, months ago. And not only did they forget, they cannot make any accommodations for her. They are telling us they have no bride's room at all, no room in which to put the dress on or do makeup before her wedding. This place is completely unprepared for weddings and truly they don't care. Because they already got her deposit and it just means they get roughly $500 of her nonrefundable money and the next person on the waiting list will pay if she cancels, because people want a wedding in a castle. They don't feel they need to do a good job because they have a "castle" as a part of their building.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank IrishDancerNY
Reviewed January 9, 2012

In our busy lives, sometimes we forget to tell the ones closest to us, how much we love them. We were up in the Finger Lakes for some business meetings, & on spur of the moment, I called the Belhusrt. Much to our delight, they had a room at their resort.
From the minute we checked in, we knew we were in the right place. The staff was great! With in 5 minutes, we were in the wine tasting room. I was pleasantly suprised by the quality of the wines. The 2007 Merlot, & 2008 Cab are fantastic.
The rooms were perfect, & we had a great views of Seneca Lake. It was a romantic weekend, & it was just what my wife of 19 years & I needed. We enjoyed the different restaurants & bars @ the resort. Stonecutters had a great casual feel, with a nice menu selection.
I recommend Belhurst & it's romantic location for every marriage.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Based on the mixed reviews for the Belhurst Castle, this review is more detailed than usual.

My wife and I last visited the Belhurst Castle in 2000 and it was a wonderful experience! The castle itself, the premises, the rooms – perfect! Based on that experience, I booked a room for 1 night and dinner at Edgars (on premise restaurant– separate review) without looking into current reviews on Trip Advisor. About a week later when I wanted to call to confirm my reservation, I googled Belhurst Castle simply to get the phone number. That’s when I noticed the Trip Advisor link and decided I’d give it a look – ouch! The reviews were very mixed with all too many negative reviews; but after all, it had been 11 years since we stayed there and things do change. My wife and I considered canceling our reservation and finding somewhere else to stay. After a short discussion, we decided to stay at the Belhurst based on our previous experience.

Check-in was efficient and courteous; assistance with our bags was offered but declined. We were directed to our room on the 3rd floor of the castle and took the stairs (I don’t believe there is an elevator). There is ample free parking.

The castle is an impressive structure and absolutely beautiful inside and out. The amount of intricate woodwork throughout the structure is amazing – stairways, hallways, walls, dining area – everywhere. Upon entering our room, we were more than pleased with the layout and period furnishings. The room and bathroom were clean and neat and everything appeared in order. The mattress was firm and comfortable. Bath robes and disposable slippers were provided for guest use.
Solely based upon the Trip Advisor reviews, I scrutinized the room and found the following minor issues: a couple of small stains on the bedcover that covered the foot of the bed and some discoloration around the bathtub faucet. Another issue that was more annoying was the heating/cooling system. Even though we set the thermostat for a lower temperature when we arrived, the room stayed fairly warm. During the night, I turned the heat off and attempted to speed up cooling with the A/C. It started to cool down immediately but after about 5 minutes of constant humming, I turned it off and opened a window. Since it is winter here – problem solved.
I met with the manager the next morning and discussed all of the above with her. I was told that the bathroom is scheduled to be upgraded this winter and that she would have maintenance check out the A/C (since it is winter here, the A/C would not normally be an issue at this time).

In conclusion, our stay at the Belhurst Castle was a pleasant experience. In fact, we are planning a 2 night stay during the Christmas season later this year. Based not only on the beauty of the castle itself, but also upon our experience with staff members and our accommodations, we highly recommend the Belhurst Castle.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fyrfightr17
Reviewed January 2, 2012

My husband I were married at Belhurst on Friday September 9th. It was truly the wedding of our dreams and we could not have asked for it to be any better. The entire wedding was perfect, not a single hiccup. Our experience with Belhurst started well before our big day as we started planning with Carmen. Carmen truly has everything in order and plans for every little detail, just let her work her magic and you will be amazed. Once the wedding weekend came it was even more apparent how wonderful the entire Belhurst staff was, they had everything down to a science. The front desk staff were great, Quinn, the front desk manager really helped us through the check in process, it was a little more complicated since we had booked several rooms. They staff were more than willing to put wine bottles in our guests rooms and went room by room with me to ensure the proper bottle went into the right room. Thursday night my mother, grandmother, sister and I had an incredible meal at Edgars. This was one of many times I ate at Edgars and every time it has been amazing. Kelly the restaurant manager really went above and beyond working with my mom to host a day after breakfast, that was really the perfect finishing touch on a perfect weekend. Looking back at our pictures we are constantly reminded of the perfection of the wedding. The food was incredible, the view was incredible and the staff were amazing. Thanks to Carmen, her incredible staff and the entire Belhurst staff we had the perfect wedding, we would not have changed one single part. We are so glad we picked Belhurst and will certainly be visiting many more times in the future!

Room Tip: The rooms at the Vinifera Inn are more updated, if you are looking for a standard hotel room stay th...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My wife and I recently returned from our third Fireside Getaway at the Vinifera Inn, Belhurst Castle within the past year. The Vinifera Inn is the newer portion of the castle, and is in excellent condition. I know others have stayed in the castle itself, and not having stayed there, I can't comment on the rooms there. We stayed in a second floor room (all rooms face Seneca Lake). The room had a king size bed, jacuzzi tub, and a beautiful gas fired fireplace. There was a loveseat situated to enjoy the fire. Large windows line the entire outside wall of the room, and offer a beautiful panarama of the lake, and the opposing shoreline. The bathroom is spacious and well appointed. There is a dorm size refrigerator in room as well, and came equipped with bottled water. A large closet in the room includes a ironing board and iron to touch up suitcase wrinkled clothing. Our room was clean and neat, and did not show any signs of wear.
The package which we utilized included a cheese, fruit, and cracker tray in the room, accompanied by your choice of red or white wine from the Belhurst Winery. We also received a forty dollar credit toward dinner in "Stonecutter's", the pub within the Belhurst complex. The food is "pub" style food (sandwiches and sides), and was outstanding. I highly recommend the steak sandwich, which is served open-faced. We also had complimentary breakfast buffet (excellent!) the next morning at "Edgar's", also within the Belhurst Castle complex. Included is normal buffet fare, as well as a carving station and made to order omelets.
The total for all of this was a fairly reasonable $276. As I indicated, this was our third time to experience this package, and each time has been great. We will be returning again, I am sure.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 4thehellofit
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This hotel advertises its new spa and wing heavily on the New York Thru way billboards. I'm not sure where the pictures were taken. The Castle rooms are sorely in need of updating. My room in particular had cracked bathroom tiles, outlets pulling out from the walls and old TV with a broken remote. Seriously I felt as if I were staying at my great grandmothers and she had renovated since the 20's. While the staff was pleasant, management needs to take notice of staffing needs. On the morning of my arrival their was nor hostess and only one server in the dining room. He tried his best was was clearly flustered. I also was able to hear the entire kitchen staff complaining underneath my bedroom window. Lastly, I stayed at the hotel annex on a subsequent trip. The annex is not staffed and single women traveling alone should avoid this property. You are given a key to an old estate home and that s it.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
11  Thank onmyway
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#1 of 3 in Waterloo
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
#1 of 4 in Penn Yan

Been to Belhurst Castle? Share your experiences!