“A Wedding at Belhurst Castle”
Review of Belhurst Castle

Belhurst Castle
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed July 28, 2011

For those brides and grooms to be I stongly suggest looking at Belhurst Castle as your wedding destination. As a guest of the wedding.....the wedding was held outside, beautifully decorated over looking Seneca Lake. There were hot horsduvers , cocktails that were wonderful . The food was wonderful and the deserts .The staff was so accommodating, constantly serving,cleaning and waiting on all the guests. Very clean and we also had a shuttle to our hotel which was 10 minutes away from the Castle. The bride and groom and some of the wedding party stayed there and loved it.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Having stayed in the Vinifera Inn four times in the last two years I am continually mystified by the negative reviews I read on this site. There is a difference between being critical and coming off like you have a personal vendetta against someone or some place. My rooms have always been clean, there's always been hot water, and the view of the lake is wonderful. The breakfast buffet, Stonecutters, and Edgar's have provided me and my family with great food. The spa is amazing. My wife has had pedicures and her hair done and I've had a few massages.
Now, I'm not a negative person, but I am realistic. If there were major problem I'd share it with management and with you all. I honestly cannot complain about anything. Maybe it's me. I'm basically middle class and don't treat the world like I'm above it. I've worked in customer service and understand that even though the customer may always be right, the customer can still be a pain in the butt and is likely not the only customer I need to deal with at the moment. Just because you're a guest in a castle, doesn't mean you're the king and the world should stop for you.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank SteveOnTheRoad
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We came to Geneva to follow the wine trail around the lake. We stayed at Belhurst because of a recommendation from a friend who really enjoyed their stay there. We did not enjoy our stay there as much. The desk staff were slightly disorganized and confused, but tried their best to be helpful. The room was decent but is in need of some repair and updates. The furniture and televisions were old, the shower heads were cracked and had weak water pressure, the sheets were worn and thread-borne (there were some tiny holes in parts of the sheets), and the air conditioning unit was a window unit that was rather noisy and stayed on all night. The view that we had of the lake was beautiful though! The room and hotel were not terrible but at the high price we paid I would have expected more. We could have stayed at the Hampton Inn or Ramada Inn and been just as comfortable at a more reasonable price. The wines they make were good, but much more expensive then other wines for sale in the area. We did do a food and wine pairing dinner and that was wonderful!!!! The waiter was extremely knowledgeable and attentive, and the food was magnificent! I would definitely come here to eat and then I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NyCricket
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We spent one night in the Music Room at the off site property, White Springs Manor. It is about 2 miles inland from the main castle. It felt a bit like the forgotten step sister. The place was a bit rundown, which is a shame because you could tell it could be quite spectacular if they put some money on to it. However, it sat on a hill with a vineyard and a view of the lake in the background. There is a great lawn where we had a picnic. There is also a veranda where we drank coffee in the morning. We didn't are many other guests so it felt like we had the place to our selves.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We stayed for two nights in one of the expensive suite rooms. Our room was dirty and dusty. Chipped peeling ceiling with mismatched furniture that looked like it was from garage sale, not "quaint". Windows and carpet were filthy. Breakfast buffet was poor and not attended to. We stood for 15 min. waiting for the toaster to work. The hostess said she knew it was a problem and when asked if she could do something about it, she got defensive and didn't move. We ate out after that. The staff messed up our spa reservations and were reluctant to give us what we ordered, and pre-paid for, when the error was pointed out. The place appears not kept up beyond the garden where the weddings are held. Overall, I would not recommend the service, quality, cleanliness or customer service. We did not use coupons and paid full price. Very unhappy. Staff at front desk looked blank when we voiced our concerns and just said "oh. That's too bad".

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GetzAway
Reviewed July 12, 2011

My husband I decided we would take a get away at Belhurst Castle. We are currently moving to that area and wanted to see what it would be like in case family would come to visit. We thought we would impress them with staying at Belhurst. First of all, I found the desk staff to be very unprofessional, the first impression is the most important and I knew at that point we might have made a mistake here. The front desk girl's uniform did not fit her properly and when she bent over she exposed half her lower back to my husband. She also took no time to explain anything about our stay but quickly engaged the other staff member in a personal conversation that was probably more important than doing a great customer service. We stayed at the Nicholas room which is situated a few miles down the road (we had to figure out the map ourselves) since she wanted no part of explaining it to us! We arrived at our room and looked around .... First, the bathroom floor tile was dirty and there was a black mold in one corner of the room. The table in the bathroom had one leg completly bent and pushed into the wall to hold it. We walked into the main bedroom area only to find the bedspread had many holes in it all over the surface ripped and when overturned had stains of some nature on it. Following further inspection, I picked up the pillows to find what appeared to both my husband as blood smudges on the fitted sheet. My husband immediately called the castle and told them the would need to send new bedding. We waited and finally two girls showed up with linen. They did not apologize at all but when my husband said the bedspread was disgusting and needed to be thrown out the one girl said" I thought they threw it out two weeks ago"!Really? You knew of the condition and still booked the room? We were mortified! We stayed that night because we had no other option and made the best of it. The next morning we went to check out and the clerk asked us how everthing was? We said not so good, she said okay, I'll need to see your credit card to put through the charges. She never inquired to what had happened or apologize. She just put through the credit card and said bye now. There is no customer service in Belhurst. On the way exiting the lobby a lady sitting in a chair said excuse me but you were not alone in your experience here, she and her husband had even more issues and nothing was done. I am sorry to say that I found this experience totally negetive, and having over twenty years in Hospitality Management, you never should let a customer leave the building unhappy for any reason. The issue should always be solved before that point because they will tell other people, and those people will tell others. I have told those people here and I hope you will be more informed of the lack of basic cleanliness and the total lack of concern for Customer Service.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank momofeightilove
Reviewed July 9, 2011

We stayed in the Billiard Room in the castle and loved it. A large room with a huge comfy bed and stairs up to a private balcony with a view of Seneca Lake. Fluffy robes and slippers are provided for our comfort.
We bought wine at the Belhurst Vinyard wine store on site and enjoyed the view from the balcony. A wonderful way to spend a warm summer evening.

• Stayed: July 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#10 of 11 in Geneva
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
Hampton Inn Penn Yan
#1 of 4 in Penn Yan

Been to Belhurst Castle? Share your experiences!