“beautiful hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Ottawa, Canada
“beautiful hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

stayed just the 1 night, but the hotel is beautiful..still fairly new and very well maintained..the beds are so comfortable, and their is a fridge and coffee maker in the room...the breakfast is included, and has a great choice..plenty of eateries within walking distance..

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank battlescar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2011

We liked our room at the Microtel. This was our first stay with this chain and we were happy with what we got. The room was immaculate, with two queen size pillow-top beds - like sinking into a cloud. If you like super firm beds, you may find them soft. Bright fluorescent lights make better lighting than most rooms, but you could turn them off and use two soft pot lights for a dimmer environment. We liked the bay window seat - a cute touch. A good-sized room fridge added to the convenience. There was a microwave in the lobby breakfast area. The complementary breakfast was basic but ample. Yogurt, bagels, toast, cereal, fresh fruit offered something for everyone. The fruit, coffee and juice were available throughout the day. The coffee (decaf and caf) always tasted fresh. We used the hotel as a home base for touring the wine and cheese trails of the Finger Lakes. It was a perfect location, at the northern tip of Seneca Lake with easy access to both sides of the lake and the adjoining lakes as well. We loved Geneva - a surprise gem of a town. Lovely waterfront park, adjacent to a state park.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank hilmcleod
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2011

The hotel's strong points are that it's new and the price for the Finger Lakes area is terrific. Staff were excellent as well. Breakfast had lots of choices but lacking in healthy options. There are a Tim Horton's and a Dunkin Donuts about 400 meters away. Hobert & William Smith College is less than half a mile away, and downtown Geneva/Lake Seneca is about a mile away. The hotel is tucked away from the main road so little traffic noise.

The rooms are small and crowded but comfortable. Everything was clean and new. The only negative thing is that the building was poorly constructed, and sound travels beautifully. You can clearly hear the footsteps from the floor above, and I heard my neighbor blow his nose. (Luckily, he was not a TV watcher.) I did laundry on the second floor one night and could very clearly hear the conversations from various rooms as I walked the hall, as well as footsteps and chatter from the third floor. Oh, and pets are permitted.

If the family vacations here next year, I'm not sure I will return. I got lucky this year and was placed at the end of the hall. Had I been in the middle, I'm sure my experience would not have been nearly as pleasant.

Room Tip: Request a room at the end of the hall
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SuisseGal
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2011

Our party stayed here for one night in June. We were impressed with the hotel. The rooms had all we required , and the breakfast was adequate. For the price we paid it was excellent value and was better than more expensive hotels we stayed in during our trip. There would be no hesitatation about staying here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank duckcity50
Crossville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We booked this room for price more than anything because we knew we would not be there but to sleep. Not bad for the price but like with any Motel/Hotel/Inn, it has potential to go down hill quickly. This is only a few years old and starting to show signs of poor maintenance. Upon check in we were told that they had just found out that morning that you have to lift up on the door handle to get the door to close. They were accurate and it would have been difficult for an older couple to do that as the door was very heavy. There were signs that the door had been worked on previously so I'm doubting the "just found out this morning" story. The staff seemed disinterested in the guests at all but I felt the room was clean and ample for our trip. It is in a convenient location and the internet speed was good. Would I stay here again? The jury is still out on that.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rhsells
gmgeneva, Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva, responded to this review, June 21, 2011
I am so glad that you chose the Microtel Inn & Suites- Geneva during your recent trip to the Finger Lakes Region. I am not pleased that you feel that our staff seemed disinterested in our guests at all. I would like to think that we pride ourselves in this area as our guests are our “bread and butter.” I will assure you that as long as I am the acting Manager, I will make sure that this property does NOT go down hill quickly. As far as the door is concerned, that problem has been taken care of by our new Maintenance Engineer.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you again and have you leave with an absolute positive outcome and impression of our hotel.

York, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2011

This chain has mastered the art of providing the most important amenities well and nothing else, and charging for only those essentials. As a frequenter of Hampton Inns, I'm impressed how Microtel provides a similar experience for much less money. This particular hotel is quite new and therefore up to date and clean, but also seems to be well managed. The staff was very professional and helpful. The two Queen bed room was just enough for our family of four, and we appreciated the mini-fridge to cool off our drinks and fruit we took on our trip, and the easy free wireless Internet. The simple and included continental breakfast met our needs fine. This location is a couple miles south of the Geneva town center and it didn't seem very full -- we had no reservation and the Hampton Inn and Ramada in town were booked up. The only knock on Microtels is the sound insulation between floors isn't great -- you can hear others above you when they stomp around a bit, so best to get the top floor if possible.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor to avoid noise above.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
4 Thank Mark M
Thank you so much for your kind review of the Microtel Inn & Suites – Geneva. I am so happy to hear that you had a great experience for the value that you paid during your recent stay at our property.

We hope that your will be able to visit us again real soon!!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2011

We stayed at this hotel as a family (2 parents, kids aged 9 mos. and 2 1/2) while traveling to see family over the Christmas holidays. It was a mid-trip I-90 stopover that also allowed us to visit the Waterloo Premium Outlets, located about 20 minutes away.

Everything you hear about the soap (crappy), the bedsheets (not soft), and the breakfast (limited, low-end) is true. I would add that the lighting in the room, which is generated mostly by institutional-style fluorescent tubes, is harsh and a tad off-putting. But the hotel is new, the rooms are clean, and the prices lower than you are likely to find anywhere else. (Wireless internet was free in the lobby.) If you want to pay more for amenities, by all means do so. For us, this was a solid, budget-friendly (about $55) choice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank ed_the_sock
First of all, I would like to thank you for placing a review of our property, but I am sorry that you felt some of our amenities were lacking in quality. I will see if I can get those above mentioned amenities updated or changed in some way. We did recently make changes to the chemicals that we use for our laundry and I would say that I think that it has made a difference.

I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Alicia Rath
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
#2 of 11 in Geneva
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
Hampton Inn Seneca Falls
#1 of 4 in Seneca Falls

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva? Share your experiences!