“Functional but not so nice”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Geneva
Limerick, Ireland
“Functional but not so nice”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

The hotel is on a main highway with only fast food outlets near enough to walk to. The hotel is surrounded by one huge carpark, so there is nowhere you can sit outside if you want to. Some guests were sitting out on the bumper of their cars to enjoy the late afternoon sunshine.

You MUST have a car to stay here or you will cut off from the rest of Geneva town. which has a lot more selection on eating out. Local taxis can take you anywhere within Geneva town for $6 flat rate but you have to organise this each time you want to go anywhere.

Beds and linen are comfy - which might make up for the bad location.

This hotel is really suitable for people who are travelling with cars and don't care about location - prices are very affordable so the balance is made up there.
Take the rooms at the back of the hotel - very quiet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Sun Lakes, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our 3 night stay at the Microtel in Geneva NY. The room had ample room, superior lighting, good water pressure, good WI FI, good A/C, good bedding, wonderful maid service and overall our stay was very satisfying. The location is good to downtown Geneva, although the setting is nothing special. It was fine because we didn't spend any time there except to sleep. We did not have breakfast, so we cannot comment on that. The only factor over which we had no control was the loud A/C unit. Even with the fan on high or low (as opposed to auto), it continued to cycle on and off and was very loud. We did not have the option of turning it off since the temp was in the 90's and the humidity was extremely high. Since it was a new hotel, we feel certain there was nothing operationally wrong with the unit. . .it was just loud! Also, I would recommend you bring your own pillows if you do not like large, firm pillows. I had asked for a less firm pillow at the desk, but they had none. I'm somewhat torn on my review because overall it was what I would call more than superior for a 2 star property; however, if you cannot get a good night's sleep because the pillow was too firm and the A/C kept waking you up, I'm not sure. I probably should have used the spare comforter for a pillow, as I'm sure it would have been softer, but, again, there was nothing we could do about the A/C.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank funhogs2
Middletown, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2011

I was planning to stay in Seneca Falls for a few days and learned that one of the days the Microtel there was full. No worries, decided to book a room here instead. I have to say this was my first experience with this chain. Small it is, but we don't require a lot of room. Linens and towels were of typical budget quality, room was clean and hotel was in great shape. I would have liked a little more room in the bathroom but I am being picky. The breakfast was to laugh at (OJ was water and some globs), cereal choice was limited to raisin bran (eww), fruit loops, cherioos, and some packaged muffins and yogurts along with some bread and a toaster. I was a little put off by the price, considering that my next hotel was much cheaper. Still, not a bad stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jcharisman
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed here during a visit to Hobart and William Smith Colleges. It was a quick 5 minutes up the road from the college and close to shopping, restaurants, etc. The hotel was sparkling clean as another reviewer said and we could not have have been more pleased with our stay. Our room was tastefully decorated -- not your typical budget-style decor -- and we slept very soundly. Free high speed internet worked great! We did not stay for the complimentary continental breakfast, but the food looked ample with choices of bagels, cereal, yogurt and fruit. This is a great place to stay if you're watching your budget or staying for a quick trip in the Geneva area.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
gmgeneva, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Thank you so much for the review of the Microtel Inn & Suites - Geneva. We love to hear positive feedback from our guests!!

We hope to see you again real soon!!

Once again, thank you so much.

Alicia Rath
Microtel Inn & Suites
Geneva, NY 14456
315-789-7890
Sherkston, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2011

We had a lengthy chat with the night clerk about the fact that we had a dog in our truck that would remain in the truck overnight in it's crate. He said that was not necessary as they were a "pet friendly" inn and the dog would be welcome in our room. At that time we informed him that our dog if she came in would not be loose in the room but asleep in her crate all night. Never, never in the conversation was there ever any mention that there would be an additional fee if we brought the dog inside. If we had been told then we would have left her in the truck as we had planned to do. In the morning when we checked out we were forced to pay this additional charge. The day clerk did not accept the responsibility that a mistake had been made. The right thing to do was to cancel the pet charge but she wouldn't. We had planned a return trip for 4 days this fall but we will be staying somewhere else. So by demanding $15 this inn has now lost $80x 4. Dumb, dumb, dumb

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
gmgeneva, General Manager at Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva, responded to this review, May 9, 2011
I do apologize that you had a negative experience in any way during your recent stay at the Microtel Inn & Suites - Geneva. We strive to make sure that every experience is a positive one and it seems that we fell short of that goal.

We do have our pet policy in plain sight and also on the registration cards; however, that does not excuse the fact that you felt we did not explain that policy verbally to you. For this mistake, I once again apologize.

I do hope that you you will give our property another chance to change your perception of our property.

Alicia Rath
Microtel Inn & Suites
550 Hamilton Street
Geneva, NY 14456
microtelgeneva@indusdevelopment.com
(315) 789-7890
Ashland, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

The very best thing about the Microtel Inn and Suites in Geneva is that it's brand new. I could swear that we were the first people to stay in our room it was so pristine, but of course, we were not. The lobby was immaculate, and the hallways, too. That goes a long way in my book.

But it's a budget hotel. The soap was like something you'd expect to find in a prison, and the linens were coarse and scratchy. The bed, while new, was soft, and the heating system kept cycling on an off all night, disturbing my sleep. The best thing I can say about the breakfast was that it was free: there were few choices (3 types of cereal, 1 type of milk, some bagels and bread, a few muffins, 1 flavor and brand of yogurt, and not much else) and the quality of the food was not terrific. (My kids will eat anything and even they could not stomach the muffins.) Still, we were only staying a few hours and we got a terrific rate, so I can't complain.

Not too much, anyway.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

Stayed march 28th 2011. We were travelling from Boston for an overnight to pick up an order from a local farm. We got in late (1 am) and were greeted by a very pleasant woman working the front desk. She asked what floor (1 or 2) we preferred to stay on. we chose the first as we have small children and didn't want my 2 year old's feet pattering across the floor so late. We pretty much went right to sleep as we were gonna be up early but the room was really nice and clean. There was a flat screen tv on the wall. The room was nice and warm as well. My only miniscule complaint is that my wife and I both found the pillows to be too big and puffy. I am probably used to the flat pillows I use at home but it took me a little while to fall asleep because it seemed so big. Im sure if I asked the front desk if they had another type of pillow they would have done their best to try and accomodate us but it really wasn't that big a deal becuase we fell asleep none the less. Bathrooms were very clean as well. Check out took 20 seconds and the man working the desk was again very pleasant. Overall we thought this was a very nice hotel and the price was a good bargain. We would def stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
Ramada Plaza Geneva Lakefront Resort
Holiday Inn Express Hotels Geneva Finger Lakes
Fairfield Inn & Suites Geneva Finger Lakes
Hampton Inn Geneva
Hampton Inn Geneva
#2 of 11 in Geneva
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Seneca Falls
BEST WESTERN PLUS Vineyard Inn & Suites

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Geneva? Share your experiences!