“This is the place to stay in Geneva, NY”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Geneva
The William Smith Inn
Ranked #2 of 11 Geneva B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 3, 2010

We stayed at The William Smith Inn in May of 2010 and cannot say enough good things about it. There are 5 rooms in this 1870's Victorian - all with their own individual charm and simple decor. (No frilly bed covers and "more-is-better" clutter anywhere.) The Inn is located in a quiet residential area among other fine homes about 3 minutes (driving) from downtown Geneva so we wouldn't consider it within walking distance for most people. Although, the walk would be worth it as there are many spectacular properties all around. There is plenty of parking and it is easy to find. We were acknowledged IMMEDIATELY by the hosts, David and Theresa, who we found to be down-to-earth, very helpful and actually, quite perfect, from the first moment we contacted Theresa for the reservation to the time we had to say good-bye. The common areas: the living room, (where you will find a local paper,) the dining room and front porch were all very inviting and comfortable. There is coffee always available and in the guests' kitchen, in addition to ice and glasses, it was so nice to have access to a variety of complimentary snacks and a full-size fridge stocked with bottled water and other beverages. The rooms and ensuites are all spacious and meticulously clean. There is a dresser, one night table, room-darkening window shades, flat screen TV's (with ALL the channels) FREE wifi internet and extremely comfortable and sumptuous mattresses and bedding for a very good night's sleep. There is also 1 room that is actually 2 bedrooms with 1 bathroom -- perfect if you are travelling with children or a group that doesn't need to be separate. There is no in-room safe and this is an old house, so you will hear floor creaks and muffled sounds from elsewhere in the house. The breakfasts were fantastic -- a selection of quiches the first morning and a french toast bake the second, both accompanied by a fruit dish and premium sausages or bacon. It is important to the hosts to use local and fresh ingredients and their environmental initiative is evident everywhere. There is a dog on property, which seems to be a hit with many a guest but if you are not so inclined or have allergies, they will keep him out of sight, with no hard feelings. There are many places to stay in the Finger Lakes area and we do believe that this is your best choice.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank 24Jo
There are newer reviews for The William Smith Inn

Reviewed April 29, 2010

My wife, son, and I were travelling through the Finger Lakes region and found this lovely inn in Geneva. The home is very inviting, clean, and comfortable and Theresa and David were wonderful hosts. They have both meticulously renovated the William Smith home and it is a delightful place to stay with a real sense of local history.
I'm usually a bit reticent to stay in B&Bs as I have too many experiences with places that are overly furnished with Victorian knick knacks that haven't been dusted since the Eisenhower administration.
The William Smith Inn, however, has new furnishings and even better, new comfortable beds, while still preserving the historical character of the home. We were very happy with our stay there and would definitely stay there again the next time we travel to Geneva.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My husband and I planned a very last minute one-night getaway on New Year's Day. Theresa was absolutely wonderful at attending to our needs and making us feel welcome despite the late notice that we were coming. She went above and beyond contacting restaurants to determine what was open on the holiday for us to have a romantic dinner and her suggestion was great. It would be difficult not to get along with Theresa - she is very engaging, fun, and attentive. In fact, we talked several times the day we were coming to plan out arrival and dinner; I remarked to my husband that I felt like I was talking to a longtime friend.

We stayed in the Blackwell room which has a 2-person jacuzzi. The room is very comfortable and spacious. We aren't into lace, quilts, and lots of knickknacks and so were very happy to see that the room was very tastefully and simply decorated. We looked at the other rooms and found each one to be unique and well-done. Breakfast was delicious and served in the dining room. There is also a living room with fireplace and pantry with refrigerator and stove that guests are welcome to use.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2009

My guy surprised me with a trip to the Finger Lakes Region and he picked the William Smith Inn as our base. Although the Inn is not located on the lake - I would not have wanted to stay anywhere else. The owner/host was so welcoming that I felt more like I was staying at a long-time friend’s home rather than just a guest at an inn.

The rooms were beautiful and very large. Breakfast was delicious and featured local produce and fruits. The owner gave us excellent suggestions on what wineries to visit and great places for lunch and dinner. I can’t wait to go back and will most definitely choose the William Smith Inn.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RiseT
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Beautifully renovated and the bed was very comfortable. Innkeeper Theresa was very casual, welcoming, and provided excellent dining recommendations. My only suggestion to future visitors is to bring some warm clothing because the upstairs room we stayed in was quite cold at night.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 6, 2009

This was hands down the best Bed & Breakfast that I have ever stayed at. I strongly recommend that you make this your place to stay in Geneva. The hosts, Teresa and David, graciously welcomed us into their home. The inn is quite charming and the food is delicious. Everything is fresh and clean as the property was recently renovated. Travelling with a two year old was no problem as the hosts went out of their way to make our child feel comfortable, providing toys, food, laundry, etc.... Fortunately for the other guests, the sturdy 19th century construction ensured that a quiet's night sleep was had by all! A great launching point for visitors of the finger lakes and the proximity to the college is convenient.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Stayed for two nights at the William Smith with significant other and another couple for a wine tasting weekend October 16-17. From the first interchange with Theresa when booking the Inn, she was delightful and friendly. One of our group was new to the B&B experience and was a little nervous, but as his wife said, "I'm kind of picky and I can’t find one thing to criticize!" The Inn is elegantly appointed with a warm cozy living room and fireplace (great for a wine and cheese happy hour), beautiful dining room with hand painted mural where Theresa uses mostly local ingredients to serve delectable breakfasts (pumpkin pecan pancakes…yummmm), the linens were top quality (600 thread count) and mattresses extremely comfortable and best of all, the rooms and baths were immaculately clean. The stately home boasts a lovely wrap-around porch and is set in a quiet residential neighborhood, great for a brisk morning stroll. Theresa and I emailed about restaurant suggestions, she called to discuss options with me before we arrived and she set up some reservations for us as well. Geneva is a great central location for a leaf peeping and wine tasting weekend and our two night stay at the Wm. Smith made ours all the more special.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple