“Uh - my sandwich is an hour late and you blame it on the computer paper”

Stonecutters at Belhurst Castle
Ranked #11 of 92 Restaurants in Geneva
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Belhurst Castle is on beautiful Seneca Lake. The bar/dining room has nice view of the lake.....

but the service is poor; the attitude is poor; and the sandwiches are better at most other sandwich shops.

We were touring the Seneca Lake area for a lovely day of wine and cheese tasting. I picked Belhurst castle as from their web site as well as reviews I had read. I thought it would be nice to stop there and figured service would be attentive and good.

Well - my mistake. I got my cup of soup (average clam chowder)....and then we sat around (along with 5 other tables) wondering where our sandwich was. We ordered a cold sandwich and an ice tea and figured it would be delivered reasonably timely......

but after an hour....and we were patient, we just sat there as the girl behind the bar just stared at the room. Another staff service person came by and said - oh, we are sorry but we just figured out why your lunch is late. Our computer is out of paper and your order has not even gone to the kitchen yet.

When I asked what she would do about it, she said - well, I reported this to you so you know....
You will get nothing more from me - She did not care she wasted an hour of our day; she did not offer to refill our now empty ice tea glasses; she just nastily said that's the way it is...
i.e. meaning we had to live with it. No discount; no time estimate when sandwich would arrive, nothing.

Belhurst castle is totally overrated - I give it 2 instead of 1 rating circle as the sandwich is ok (equal to Denny's or other fast food sandwich shop).

I would skip this place completely if you want attentive service, good food, and a nice place to stay. Luckily, the view of the lake were ok....but as for lunch go for the buffet lunch at their other restaurant, or better yet, look for a different venue on the lake such as winery and restaurant with a view of the lake.

but in general it left me feeling Belhurst Castle is overrated. Their gift shop was lame as well - we had just come from Letchwork Park Glen Iris Inn where their gift shop was amazing. On a scale of 1 -100; Belhurst is a 10, while Letchworth Glen Iris Inn is a 100.

So - I think it is a bit of management issue as well.
It also was sad that the only way this restaurant seemed to have any rapport with the kitchen is if the computer paper is working right...
Perhaps it would have been better to just have told us a story - and not the truth - as it shows how badly run this place is.
Not equal to its web site or my expectations.

1  Thank mini

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We didnt think we would be allowed to eat breakfast at Bellhurst but we gave it a try and we were so glad we did. What a bargain! Breakfast buffet was great and for dessert, our waitress brought us 2 chocolate covered strawberries. All for $9.95. Beautiful surroundings.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stopped here for lunch and enjoyed every aspect of it. Food and service were top notch and the view of Seneca Lake, terrific. We ate in the dining room but went to the patio for coffee and dessert. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you're satisfied on every level. Looking forward to returning.

1  Thank TPS87
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were on a brief 3 night tour of the Finger Lakes and began our visit in Geneva with dinner at Sonecutters at the Belhurst Castle on our opening night. What a great treat!!!

Not avid diners out unless it is a special opportunity the menu, service, food, location, ambience, view and pace of dining was absolutely superlative.

We arrived to a wonderful upscale pub, met the bar tender and were seated with Cosmo (wife) and Blue Sapphire gin martini in hand shortly after. Cecilia was our server, and she was tied with our waiter at St. Armand's Circle in Sarasota as the best ever.

The meal was great. I had the special $24 dinner with tenderloin, soup and dessert while my lovely wife had the veal. Superb.

Thanks Cecilia for your fabulous service. We followed up our meal with a full day of hiking at two state parks near Ithaca and Watkins Glen, and then a day of golf near Naples.

Lots of highlites, initiated by a great meal and server at Belhurst Castle.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

If you like a beautiful view of the lake, this is a great place - loved the décor and general ambience of the castle (oh, and read the history - it's positively scandalous!) - Everything we had was delicious. Good, better than average 'casual' dining. Well trained and personable/knowledgeable staff.