“Very nice building. Very nice people. Average food.”
Review of Big Tree Inn

Big Tree Inn
Ranked #5 of 43 Restaurants in Geneseo
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Very nice building. Very nice people. Average food.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I ate here for lunch while visiting my son at college. I heard about this place from some friends and checked it out on Tripadvisor too. I was honestly expecting more.

The building is very nice looking, but the first thing that I noticed when walking in was a musty, closed in kind of odor. The staff is extremely friendly and the service was pretty good. The food was okay, but not really above average.

I ordered the onion soup to start. It WASN'T bad, but it was no different than onion soup that I have had at a dozen other restaurants. I then ordered the Reuben Panini. In fairness, the menu said that the corned beef was lean, but there is lean and then there is beef jerky. This was made worse by the fact that the cabbage was extremely dry and there was a tiny dot of thousand island dressing on the Panini. This was one of the driest sandwiches that I have ever had and I went through a few glasses of water to get it down.

As a side, I ordered the sweet potato fries, which are one of my favorite accompaniments to a good burger or sandwich. Until now. This is the first time that ever saw them cut thicker than steak fries. The result was that the outside was kind of crispy, but the inside was completely RAW and hard.

My wife ordered the eggplant stack, as did my son. They both ended up leaving at least half of it on their plates. I think that the idea was to create sort of a vegetable terrine, but this was literally a stack of slightly grilled veggies. Not much by way of condiment or sauce.

The desserts were the only saving grace, but once again, nothing that I haven't had before. The bill ended up being $140 for 6 people for lunch, not including tip. None of us ordered wine.

Nyack, New York
“Historic Inn”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Had a buffet lunch here as part of a group from the college. Food was nothing special, the building is nice and the service was friendly.

Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“I wish I lived closer!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

If I lived closer to Geneseo, I'd be back on a regular basis! I had the Quattro lunch (oink, oink...); it was amazing! The corn chowder was rich and full of flavor, the turkey sandwich was delicious, the homemade potato chips were very tasty, and the cookie was very good.

This was my first visit; I'll definitely be back. I may even stay at the inn; it's very cute!

Slingerlands, New York
“Historic Inn in the Heart of Geneseo”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stopped in during a accepted students visit at SUNY Geneseo. We ate in the tavern as we were not very hungry. You can have the tavern or full menu there. The building is an 1800's inn that has been restored in recent years. We found the overall atmosphere to be very warm and historical and the tavern was quiet and comfortable on a Monday night. The full menu prices are on the expensive side but there was a lot of variety listed. We ate from the tavern menu and our food was well prepared and the service friendly and prompt. They had a good selection of draft beer with various micro-brews. We spent $40 for two including tax and tip. We would return for another visit the next time we are in town.

Buffalo, New York
“same as others-good food, slow service”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

A very nice and dining experience which allows for casual attire. The food was very good, and I did not think it overpriced. A very good half pound burger for $12 and a lobster mac and cheese for about the same price. Lunch meal for two adults and one child, with beverages, and no appetizer was under $40 before tip. It doesn't sound like much food, but we walked away full. Service left something to be desired-slow and relatively inattentive despite only a handful of patrons at the time. If you can accept the service, the food is worth the stop.

• Visited March 2013