“Not what it once was.”
Review of Big Tree Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Geneseo
Big Tree Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Geneseo B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 15, 2012

The Big Tree Inn has a long history in Geneseo and is a beautiful building. It's also billed as a fine-dining restaurant (I have never stayed in the hotel). I have heard that at one point it was, but I would not say that now.
Think pub-grade food in an upscale location.
The bar is nice, with dark woods and green and a good atmosphere. The dining rooms are well appointed with a sort of old-school, colonial look.
I've eaten here several times when my guest is looking for something "nicer" than the diners or delis around, which the ambiance fills but the food lacks.
Slow service. Mediocre food at best. For the price, each dish should not look and taste like it was defrosted and then coated with a sauce that came out of a plastic bag. Lower the prices to match the quality or raise your standards.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank ayapua

Reviewed March 13, 2012

Our room was great! Cozy, luxury- bed, jacuzzi, great bathroom. The restaurant atmosphere and server were nice but the food was mediocre. The hotel bar was a really neat space and the bartender was nice. Good beer and wine selection. I would stay there again for sure so romantic BUT I would eat somewhere else.

Room Tip: Corner room- Bethia was great.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2012

asked if they were part of the select reg. did not know what it was also asked what age children were aloud at there inn she was very rude with me & hung up the phone

Room Tip: if you want to ask them something look out
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robin W
Reviewed January 30, 2012

The Big Tree Inn is History and Home for me-having grown up in Geneseo - many memories of The Hunt Club and having dinner at this wonderful local watering hole. The rooms are very nice and the feeling of history is there. I enjoy this place very much and so will you while visiting the Valley.

Room Tip: Enjoy the website with great photos of the room of your choice.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Stayed here for one night in front whirlpool suite with fireplace. Nice ambiance. Very nicely appointed room. Very clean. Nice Victorian style decor. Had excellent meal at restaurant and also visited tavern. Only issue might be that the fireplace and the room thermostat don't work well together. You can't leave the fireplace on long or the room gets excessively hot.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Corning123
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed lunch at the Big Tree Inn on our way to a hike in Dansville, NY. The inn is a well-maintained historic brick building, and the dining room atmosphere was stately, with high ceilings, lovely crown moldings, and a beefy mantelpiece. I had picked the place for its character, expecting average sandwiches and burgers, but I was pleasantly surprised and sated by the meal that followed. My husband, who usually just takes skim milk in his coffee, happily added the whipped cream and chocolate bits that came on the side with his cup of regular. While the menu is not extensive, we both enjoyed our lunch options. The Monte Cristo--a "tradition" at the inn--was a wonderful mix of savory and sweet, combining turkey, ham, and gruyere with berry compote, raspberry sauce, and creme anglaise. The Bethiah burger came "medium" as ordered and was a tall-bite with its dressings. Both the sweet potato fries and potato wedgies were yummy sides; house-made chips and fruit salad were other side options that we passed up, but they looked good on other diners' plates. The server was personable and attentive, keeping my husband's coffee cup filled and our water glasses topped off. The atmosphere and little extras made this a romantic lunch!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I stayed at the Big Tree Inn while interviewing for a position at SUNY Geneseo. You cannot beat the location if you want to be as close to campus as possible. I stayed in the Lily of the Valley room on the 3rd floor. This Inn is on the National Register of Historic Places, so no elevators are available, which may be difficult if a patron cannot walk up or down stairs easily. This was not an issue for me, however. My room was small and cozy--and extremely clean! The bathroom looked like it had just been renovated with new toilet, corner shower, sink, mirror and lights. Let me reiterate -- everything was very, very clean. The room had air conditioning, a nice flat screen television, 2 free water bottles (which was a very nice touch) and a large closet. The continental breakfast was very nice: assorted bagels, pastries, fresh fruit, coffee, tea, etc. I was more than happy with the breakfast items. During my interview, we came to the Big Tree Inn for lunch and it was very, very good. Everything tasted great and the service was excellent. I couldn't have been more happy with my stay here.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneseo
Quality Inn Geneseo
Rodeway Inn
#1 of 1 in Lakeville
OAK VALLEY INN & SUITES
Temple Hill Bed & Breakfast

Been to Big Tree Inn? Share your experiences!