“great venue for a wedding”

Highlands Country Club
Ranked #6 of 12 things to do in Garrison
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My favorite short nephew just got married here. The outdoor area for the ceremony was truly beautiful. You overlook the Hudson Valley, the mountains and the river. The banquet hall is wide open, large and floor to ceiling windows allow you to see the beautiful scenery while you party. The staff was fantastic, never had to wait for more water, they even refolded you table linen napkin when you left your chair. I would highly recommend this wonderful venue for any type of celebration.

1  Thank 10,904

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We loved the tavern located on site. It has a changing menu. we have been there several times and always enjoy it. cozy setting in the winter with a roaring fire. The staff is always pleasant and aim to please.
we also visited the rest with a prix fix menu and wine tasting. Call for deatails or go online.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

Wonderful food and a greatplace to sit and sip a drink

Reviewed July 6, 2012

When I moved to the area 3 years ago, I was immediately enchanted.

I am still enchanted. After many memorable & artful meals near their original fireplaces, it is the kind of place you can feel at home in. Kind and familiar servers are happy to inform where all of the locally sourced foods and beverages come from (they even recycle their food scraps back to the pigs!) I've even had a few history lessons (Highlands was one of the first fitness clubs in the area, built on protected land, it is a late 1800's building with many of the original features.)

Both the restaurant and the events team have left me smiling from ear to ear. Last November I was married in front of the fireplace and hosted my family and friends to a sustainable candlelit dinner under the grand chandelier... it was better than i had imagined such a special day could be. Adrienne was so helpful an kind throughout the whole process. I truly feel she was part of my family.

I recommend this place to anyone. I also recommend making a reservation in advance! Especially during the summer and fall... I know their schedule changes due to private parties... but i have to say its ALWAYS worth the wait!!!

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I really WANTED to like this place, and had read pretty consistently positive reviews. Mine is the antithesis, unfortunately.

The positives: nice location. The place has a lot of potential, as the building which houses the Tavern has a lovely veranda, a nice lawn, and pretty glass-enclosed room, and all is surrounded by nice grounds.

The negatives: everything else! First, the Mother's Day brunch had two seatings: 11:30 and 1:30. We arrived for the 1:30 at about 1:25, with a reservation, and were told they were setting up, and to simply sit out on the veranda and they would come get my mom and me. We sat outside about 15 minutes, and I decided to check out what was going on. Well, people were already seated and lined up for the buffet! So, when I tapped the hostess who told me to sit outside, she said "oh, good you're here" like it was the first time she saw me. Then, she sat us in the glass enclosed room on a HOT day, with no air conditioning. A restaurant of this caliber should have the rooms air conditioned. We asked to move into the main room which WAS air conditioned, and that was accommodated. The food was average - not bad, but nothing stood out as impressive or original. The service was AWFUL. There was never a time when there were ample plates, silverware, cups, etc, fully stocked for guests. Everyone needed to ASK for any of the above. The help, while friendly, were generally clueless.

My honest opinion is this is a struggling country club (on a beautiful Sunday, it seemed like there were very few guests golfing, or doing anything else) that is trying to make a go at the restaurant for the general public. But, to me, the experience is that it is more of an after thought, and not a genuine attempt.

I am disappointed, as I really wanted to enjoy this, as I shlepped up from Jersey City to meet my mom who lives further upstate.